IU vs. OSU game thread

Leathernecks

Just now, IU Scott said:

To me how they split the conference is the best way to do it and we just need to get better and compete.  Wonder if Maryland and Rutgers fans are complaining about the division like we do because we just sound like a bunch of whiners.  Why would NW agree to switch with us just to help us out a bit and hurt there chances

You’re proving my point with your last sentence.  Maybe Fred Glass thinks like you do and nothing will get done until he’s gone.  I wouldn’t be surprised.  

You can get better and also play on a level playing field in terms of schedule.  They are not mutually exclusive concepts.  But a school of IU’s stature competing at the Clemson or Alabama level in terms of schedule is suicidal. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Good PC.  He’s pretty raw there.  He’s such a likable coach, a guy you can imagine his players really wanting to please.   I like how he’s been improving the roster compared to what we’ve seen for thirty years.  You have to start somewhere.  Now, they’ve got to win some 50/50 games and even some they aren’t supposed to.  

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

You’re proving my point with your last sentence.  Maybe Fred Glass thinks like you do and nothing will get done until he’s gone.  I wouldn’t be surprised.  

You can get better and also play on a level playing field in terms of schedule.  They are not mutually exclusive concepts.  But a school of IU’s stature competing at the Clemson or Alabama level in terms of schedule is suicidal. 

I am sorry but you sound like a big whiner and even heard Glass talk about the divisions and how they seem unfair to IU.  There is nothing he can do alone and again why would other teams just make it hard on themselves  to help IU out.  Say we move to the west and PU goes to the east then you really think it would be any easier for us.  We never compete with UW and Iowa and Nebraska will beat us about every year.  Besides OSU I just don't see how the east is that much better than the west.  MSU and PSU did not look unbeatable today and UM had to go to 2 OT's to beat Army.

We got beat by #6 team in the country..a program that has lost like 6 games the last 7 years..yea it sucks because they been whippin are arse for years...but im not ready to sink the ship...if it was Illinois who came in and took us to the wood shed I would start questioning some things...tackling is the biggest problem i see..but it has been for years.

Cringe-worthy:

Since 1951, IU has beaten OSU twice. Overall head-to-head is 12-74-5. 

Since 1959, IU has beaten Michigan twice. Overall head-to-head is 9-58.

Since 1993, IU has beaten Penn St. once. Overall head-to-head is 1-21.

Since 1994, IU has beaten Michigan St. three times.  Overall head-to-head is 16-47.

Of the six opponents in the Big Ten East, our overall record is .....20, carry the two....hmmmm  oh dear lord.... we are 38-200-5.  

Good news, we are 8-4 against the other two schools.

I am not sure what to make of this record, except that we are not too competitive.  Does the conference have any reason to try to help IU be more competitive?  

It is fair to say that a player who commits to IU is almost assured of never going to a bowl game.  Maybe we go to a bowl this year. I see four more games that I think we can win: UConn, Rutgers, Purdue and Maryland.  However, does anyone really think we go 4-0 against those teams?  There is still that game against Northwestern......alas, since 1993 IU has three wins against them.  My heart says we recover from this loss and put together a good season with a bowl game.  My head says look at the history of IU football and the outlook looks grim.  This is why I think the Big Ten needs to change scheduling.

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

We got beat by #6 team in the country..a program that has lost like 6 games the last 7 years..yea it sucks because they been whippin are arse for years...but im not ready to sink the ship...if it was Illinois who came in and took us to the wood shed I would start questioning some things...tackling is the biggest problem i see..but it has been for years.

I agree about not taking the loss to hard but it was just not the loss but how we got embarrassed.  I am to the point I just see IU is what they are and that is a 5 or 6 a year program.  It does not matter what division we are in or who the coach is because I just don't see it getting to where we are a legit bowl team.  Even if in a year or two we have an opening do you really think we would be able to get a top notch candidate to come here.  We will either get a top assistant coach from a power 5 conference team or a mid major HC.  We I=might be able to get an older coach to come out of retirement like UNC did.

As fans we hope the day comes when we beat a program like Ohio St. I think most of us hate it because we also carry the arrogance and confidence of IU Hoops in our brain. I know I do. All I want from IU football is 6-7 wins with occasional 9 win January 1 bowl day. Otherwise it's just not worth getting worked up over. Ohio St. is top 3 right now. They showed it. We need to get our win next week and see what we can do vs Sparty afterwards.

I think another thing as an IU fan that is frustrating is seeing team like UW  and NW become very good programs.  If you are my age and older you will remember how bad those teams were and IU actually were able to beat them consistently.  Also you see programs like UCF and Utah become constant top 25 teams and as an U fan think why not IU.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You do not want to know.  It was not bad. It was embarrassing. 

You couldn't have said it any better. I left at the end of the 3rd quarter.....I always stay the entire game. This is the first time in 20 years that I have ever left before the 4th quarter!! Like you said Mile,....it was embarrassing!!! I couldn't watch any more !

We just need to get the right coach and build on class after class for 4-5 years slowly getting better. I hate UK living here it sucks but Stoops has now taken that program past Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Missouri, S Carolina in the East and might best Florida for the second year in a row. They now can beat anyone any given week maybe outside Georgia and Alabama in that conference. It sucks to have the 3 best teams in the East with us but look at the SEC west with LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Texas A&M...just have to get better...wins will come.

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

You couldn't have said it any better. I left at the end of the 3rd quarter.....I always stay the entire game. This is the first time in 20 years that I have ever left before the 4th quarter!! Like you said Mile,....it was embarrassing!!! I couldn't watch any more !

Actually was surprised that we had that many people come back after halftime

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

We just need to get the right coach and build on class after class for 4-5 years slowly getting better. I hate UK living here it sucks but Stoops has now taken that program past Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Missouri, S Carolina in the East and might best Florida for the second year in a row. They now can beat anyone any given week maybe outside Georgia and Alabama in that conference. It sucks to have the 3 best teams in the East with us but look at the SEC west with LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Texas A&M...just have to get better...wins will come.

After all of these years I am wondering if we ever will find that perfect coach.  Maybe it was Hoeppner but we know how that ended.  We let our most successful coach go in Mallory and have not been able to find the next coach.  It does appear that Glass has put a lot of money into the program with facilities and to hire and keep assistant coaches.

14 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Cringe-worthy:

Since 1951, IU has beaten OSU twice. Overall head-to-head is 12-74-5. 

Since 1959, IU has beaten Michigan twice. Overall head-to-head is 9-58.

Since 1993, IU has beaten Penn St. once. Overall head-to-head is 1-21.

Since 1994, IU has beaten Michigan St. three times.  Overall head-to-head is 16-47.

Of the six opponents in the Big Ten East, our overall record is .....20, carry the two....hmmmm  oh dear lord.... we are 38-200-5.  

Good news, we are 8-4 against the other two schools.

I am not sure what to make of this record, except that we are not too competitive.  Does the conference have any reason to try to help IU be more competitive?  

It is fair to say that a player who commits to IU is almost assured of never going to a bowl game.  Maybe we go to a bowl this year. I see four more games that I think we can win: UConn, Rutgers, Purdue and Maryland.  However, does anyone really think we go 4-0 against those teams?  There is still that game against Northwestern......alas, since 1993 IU has three wins against them.  My heart says we recover from this loss and put together a good season with a bowl game.  My head says look at the history of IU football and the outlook looks grim.  This is why I think the Big Ten needs to change scheduling.

No in fact considering how murderous the B1G can be it benefits them to have Michigan and OSU and PSU lose as few games as possible if they want them in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

After all of these years I am wondering if we ever will find that perfect coach.  Maybe it was Hoeppner but we know how that ended.  We let our most successful coach go in Mallory and have not been able to find the next coach.  It does appear that Glass has put a lot of money into the program with facilities and to hire and keep assistant coaches.

It will be difficult. I mean Illinois has Lovie Smith and they can’t win. Maybe Dungy will coach us?

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The only shot we’d have is if you’d reverse the injury.  If Penix played and Fields didn’t, we may have been competitive.  Then again you’d have to have your specials not put you in the hole too.  When you’re the lesser team in terms of physical talent, you’ve got to play smarter than OSU to have a chance.  We failed in all areas.  You can’t be this fundamentally unsound and beat a top five team.  

Realistically, OSU is recruiting the best, from all over.  Their sideline to sideline speed was jaw dropping. IU could not beat them to the edge at all.  

Ramsey is a good kid and will probably be a future coach.  I like his mobility but he lacks arm strength.  Arm strength isn’t defined by being able to float a ball in the air with distance. Sure, he can throw one up and superficially it looks ok.  But he obviously lacks zip and power with his throws and has almost no accuracy throwing downfield. He’s limited and we’ve seen it time and again.  If he plays, I’d try to get him into space and play it that way.  He was flat out terrible today, indecisive etc.  

Our game plan with receivers was poorly designed today.  This may have helped with Ramsey’s indecisiveness.  They had opportunities to sit down and get some quick hits but they were aimlessly lallygagging around out there while the QB was under duress.  

I am surprised that Coach Allen recruited his own son with the concomitant conflict of interest it brings.  It’s created a huge blind spot for the Coach.  Thomas is a limited kid who could maybe help in short yardage or specials but he’s not really up to that either against conference foes.  I like the Coach as a man and empathize with him when it comes to your children, but we are wasting snaps out there with Thomas.  Similarly, another weak link is Raekwon Jones, who is a senior.  There’s something to be said for being in the right place, but he’s not as physically talented as some of the young guys.  We just get gashed too much in there with Jones and Thomas Allen.  

Miller, McFadden, and Cam Jones should be playing the most at backer.  Coach Allen can justify playing his son and say he’s in charge but it won’t be for long if we don’t start winning some games besides the obvious automatic W’s.  He’s helping his family but hurting his coaching which he’s supposed to have fealty to.  Miller in particular can help plug up the leaky run defense and poor tackling.  He should have a much bigger role.  

This team can’t run the football.  I’d look hard at the coaching there on the offensive line.  They don’t work well as a unit in the run game.   I don’t think it’s just a talent issue.  Maybe they need to look at some other linemen or combinations.  You’d think they’d figure that out in camp.  We have an insane number of prior starts from these linemen.  They are experienced and should be waaaaay better than we’ve seen.  Going forward, we really need to upgrade recruiting on the offensive line.  

Our running backs are just too good to be stymied like this with no holes created by the line.  There’s considerable explosiveness in our highly talented backfield there that needs to be unlocked.  

Devon Matthews struggles badly in coverage.  He’s got big shoulders but is stiff hipped and isn’t agile enough.  Overall, I’m surprised how much the staff will throw our safeties in one on one coverage situations.  They get beat too often.  Maybe deploy extra corners.  

Fitzgerald is getting better and better.  You can see it.  He’s physical, athletic, smart, just a good football player.

Elliott has been a very pleasant find at DT. He’s better than I anticipated.  He was a menace all day long.  I’d make him the player of the game.  

Philyor and Hendershot are studs.  

I am glad Tuttle got some mop up duty.  The raw talent is there but it isn’t helpful to throw him to the wolves.  He doesn’t have any idea what he’s looking at yet and you can see that when he plays.  But in mop up duty he at least gets a feel for game speed.  

this is a really good analysis. are you a former player or coach? were you at the game? i wonder because you talked about matthews being stiff which is the kind of thing that is hard to pick up watching on tv. you are right about the o-line. you can throw in the d-line too. we need big upgrades along the line of scrimmage as we were thoroughly dominated on both sides. those guys don't grow on trees. the big time programs snap them up. perhaps allen can focus on transfers and jucos. otherwise, i fear things may never change for us. we have had some good ones come through like saffold, spriggs, feeney and martin. maybe it is the coaching as you suggested.

you are spot on about the linebackers. i thought our db's were the strength of the team but they looked poor today. very worried about the penix situation. i thought he was being held out for just this game but now allen is calling it week to week. i even read a rumor that his season could be over. love ramsey as a kid but his arm has not gotten stronger so i doubt it ever will. tuttle showed a big arm on that 25 yard bullet that was almost intercepted. was begging allen to put him in earlier. 

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The other thing, which we’ve covered in other threads, is that it’s ridiculous that IU has a top five schedule every year.  It’d be nice to have a living, breathing athletic director take some leadership on the absurdity of the divisions.  IU is one of the key partners in the conference.  

Glass, gather the troops, develop some initiatives, hire consultants, get in the GD commissioner’s ear about IU getting hammered in this division and playing the Alabama, Clemson schedule.  This isn’t going to just fix itself.  

We have got an AD who is not being managed by the President or the stale, outdated trustees living in yesterday’s world.  The AD is not about W’s and L’s for football and basketball. 

We need an AD that gets in there, builds a coalition and consensus, and fixes the GD divisions.  This may have to occur after folksy Fred is gone (hopefully soon).  

i think the league is already considering going without divisions. the ncaa has opened that possibility by going away from their rule that in order to have a season ending conference championship game, there must be two divisions with the champ from each meeting.

23 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I stayed through the whole thing.  However, I can really understand why you or others would have not watched it through to the end.

First time in 20 years, leaving an IU game for you. Puts an exclamation point  on how bad it was. 

Archived