Indianapolis. Two part question.

milehiiu

1. Who was/is the best BB player to come out of Naptown ?

2. Who was/is the best BB player from Indianapolis to play for IU ?

I broke it down to two parts, as I have a strong personal opinion as to the best to come out of Indianapolis.  However I could be wrong. And would love to see how HSN answers my two part question.

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

1. Who was/is the best BB player to come out of Naptown ?

2. Who was/is the best BB player from Indianapolis to play for IU ?

I broke it down to two parts, as I have a strong personal opinion as to the best to come out of Indianapolis.  However I could be wrong. And would love to see how HSN answers my two part question.

Oscar

George McGinnis

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well there is not to much of a debate on this one if you ask me.

Yeah, no debate on #1.  Big O is an all-timer.  Averaged a triple double his 2nd year, and damn near averaged a triple double his first 4 years.

All but no debate on #2.  Just depends if you want to take into account just their IU career or their entire career.  If it's entire career, McGinnis, no brainer.

6 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Yeah, no debate on #1.  Big O is an all-timer.  Averaged a triple double his 2nd year, and damn near averaged a triple double his first 4 years.

All but no debate on #2.  Just depends if you want to take into account just their IU career or their entire career.  If it's entire career, McGinnis, no brainer.

Well McGinnis one year at IU was an all time great season

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with Oscar Robertson and George McGinnis.

Billy Keller and Alan Henderson were a couple more pretty fair Indy players.

After I read this thread it got me to thinking about the players that came out of Indy.  You named the great Billy Keller, but for much of the last 50 years IU has really done very well at getting many of the best players - that is up until the Mike Davis tenure and forward (EJ is the only McD player since then ?).  I'm sure part of it is the changing landscape of college BB, but hopefully Archie can start harvesting the best from Marion County moving forward.

30 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

1.) Oscar Robertson

2.) McGinnis or Henderson.

Lets see what happens if we expand to the state of Indiana instead of just Indianapolis.  Who would be the best player to come out of the state of Indiana?

Are you talking about their full careers including the NBA then I would think it would be Oscar and Larry Bird

8 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

1.) Oscar Robertson

Lets see what happens if we expand to the state of Indiana instead of just Indianapolis.  Who would be the best player to come out of the state of Indiana?

1: Oscar or Bird. Take your pick if you can only have one. No wrong answer.

2: Assuming Bird doesn't count (which he shouldn't), the first four names off the top of my head were Cheaney, Benson, Alford and Gordon. But that's a question worth pondering.

Edit: In addition to McGinnis.

8 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

1.) Oscar Robertson

Not taking anything away from the Big "O", Big George, or the "Hick From French Lick".  However, if we are going to expand to the entire state... I have to include.

Dick Barnett From Gary.

Yeah, I know. Before most of you were born.  Had 14 successful seasons in the pros.

In the Indiana BB HOF

https://www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/dick-barnett/?back=HallofFame2

Archived