Marion. 2-part question.

rico

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Whoa, seems to me Marion has produced Zach Randolph, Monte Towe, and Dave Colescott.  I get #2...sort of but, Jay wouldn't be in my conversation for #1.

I could see that, but I prioritized accomplishment.

I think talent wise Randolh and Colescott have an argument, Towe would not be in my conversation.

I said in the other thread it would be tough, and now you have me second guessing.

1 minute ago, greg haggard said:

I could see that, but I prioritized accomplishment.

I think talent wise Randolh and Colescott have an argument, Towe would not be in my conversation.

Ummn, Towe won a NCAA title....but given the question Marion is more interesting than Indy.

1 hour ago, greg haggard said:

Rico, when I read that, I was flipping out........because in all the time I have posted here, I have not heard of you being wrong, that would've been the first.

LOL, I have been wrong a time or twenty!  But Monte was born in Marion, now Oak Hill HS is just north of Marion and is fed by 3 "big cities".  Converse, Swayzee, and Sweetser.  But where OHHS sits is in the metropolis of Mier...don't blink when you see it or you will miss it.  BTW, I know this because Oak Hill was in my conference when I was in HS.

1 hour ago, greg haggard said:

No, he didn't, but he still won more than any of the others mentioned, and that's what I went by.

Well, Lyndon Jones was on those teams.  But as I said, Marion is debatable in both categories.  For my picks...#1 James Blackmon, Sr., #2  Jay Edwards.  I also would put Colescott ahead of Randolph for #1.  But that is my opinion of the guys I have seen in my lifetime.  Another one that deserves some "air time" is Joe Price who played at Notre Dame.  A dang fine Marion Giant.

37 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

It's hard to make a comparison just due to the difference in eras, but do you throw Stretch Murphy in the conversation for question 1?

Damn, until you just brought up his name I had forgotten about him.  Remember John Wooden talking about him.  I suppose if you look at all and any criteria for #1 he is the man.

22 minutes ago, rico said:

Maybe Dave knows more about him than I do but going off what I remember Wooden saying...Murphy won a title at Marion, played with John at Purdue, and is a HoFer.

From what I've read about him, he was the predecessor to George Mikan. The dominant big man of his Era. 2 time concensus AA, set the B10 single season scoring record, and was in the Naismith HOF's 2nd class in 1960 (alongside Wooden and one Branch McCracken).

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

From what I've read about him, he was the predecessor to George Mikan. The dominant big man of his Era. 2 time concensus AA, set the B10 single season scoring record, and was in the Naismith HOF's 2nd class in 1960 (alongside Wooden and one Branch McCracken).

Sounds about right...he wins question #1.

Edit:  https://probasketballencyclopedia.com/player/stretch-murphy/

20 minutes ago, rico said:

Sounds about right...he wins question #1.

Edit:  https://probasketballencyclopedia.com/player/stretch-murphy/

I'm going to have to agree.......I'd forgotten about Price as well, I remember watching him play.

Question, didn't the entire starting 5 at Marion during 3 peat years play division 1 college ball?

1 minute ago, greg haggard said:

I'm going to have to agree.......I'd forgotten about Price as well, I remember watching him play.

Question, didn't the entire starting 5 at Marion during 3 peat years play division 1 college ball?

I do believe they did but other than Jones and Edwards, I can only think of another name...Derrick Keyes(sp?) that went to Wake Forest.

Archived