Archie on the DD show

Indykev

I think we may actually see the ole bench come into play this year. There are enough players that if someone is not complying with coach's desires, they are going to pay for it by being a spectator. I'm so thankful for a coach who's willing to tighten the screws if need be.

I know the season hasn't even started, but to me there couldn't have been a better fit for this program and fan base than Archie. 

Interesting comment about shot selection and turnovers. Part of Crean's problem was that his offense created quick shots (turnovers) that was always putting pressure on the defense. We all know that his teams were not defensive oriented and the constant jacking of shots allowed other teams to pretty much score at will because the defense could not handle the pressure that was put on it by the lousy offense

24 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Interesting comment about shot selection and turnovers. Part of Crean's problem was that his offense created quick shots (turnovers) that was always putting pressure on the defense. We all know that his teams were not defensive oriented and the constant jacking of shots allowed other teams to pretty much score at will because the defense could not handle the pressure that was put on it by the lousy offense

IMO, Crean's offense needed him to recruit a bunch of 5-star kids who could fly, shoot, attack the rim, and run faster than 90% of D-1 players. Too bad he couldn't recruit like Cal or Coach K. 

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bad shots should result in butt meeting bench. I don even care if it resuts in Priller having to run the point. Fix it now before it ruins the season.

Agree with this whole heartedly but I also believe we have to be ready to accept a time for a learning curve in these first couple games because guys like Robert Johnson and Juwan Morgan who are juniors and seniors have been taught Crean's system for three and four years are not just gonna be able to flip a switch right away

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bad shots should result in butt meeting bench. I don even care if it resuts in Priller having to run the point. Fix it now before it ruins the season.

He did that in the last exhibition game.  Green missed all three free throws after getting fouled, then committed a bad foul on the other end.  Immediately went to the bench.  

I will say this, too, as good as Green was in the first game, he was that bad in the second.  Other guys have had off games in the exhibitions, but he seemed to really let it impact the rest of his game because he was shooting poorly.  That was a little discouraging to me. 

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He did that in the last exhibition game.  Green missed all three free throws after getting fouled, then committed a bad foul on the other end.  Immediately went to the bench.  

I will say this, too, as good as Green was in the first game, he was that bad in the second.  Other guys have had off games in the exhibitions, but he seemed to really let it impact the rest of his game because he was shooting poorly.  That was a little discouraging to me. 

Green and CuJo were Jeckell and Hyde all last season. I attributed this to being freshmen with a lack of consistent playing time. This year we can’t have that. They both need to contribute night in and night out. Hopefully they can gain the confidence they need to perform because they both have all the tools physically. It’s a mental thing

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

In fairness, Crean's offense was regularly one of the top ranked and most efficient offenses in the country. It did rely on a lot of outside shooting, but it was a long way from lousy.

I'm just GLAD that tomorrow night ( Friday November 10 ,2017 , we can forget about all of the pre season speculation and start separating the men from the boys in the BASKETBALL Arenas  of this great country !!! The actual game results can be [and often are] totally DIFFERENT than all of the personal slant/opinions generated by basketball fans , pre season mags , and the so-called experts  !1 Go "Archie & The Gang"' !! Kick Butt in 2017-2018 !!

---------------------------------------------------------

Moderator note.  HTD.  You are a valued member of HSN 3.0.  I just edited your post due to language. Not severe, I grant you that.  However, we do have rules here.... and more importantly, young people who read our forums.  Hope you understand. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

In fairness, Crean's offense was regularly one of the top ranked and most efficient offenses in the country. It did rely on a lot of outside shooting, but it was a long way from lousy.

I agree with you that we scored tons of points but because of the type of offense it was it caused the defense to give up a lot of points. 

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

I agree with you that we scored tons of points but because of the type of offense it was it caused the defense to give up a lot of points. 

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not sure that was the problem. There are lots of teams who shot a lot of threes and can still defend at a high level. I think our defensive issues were more systemic. Also, as we've all discussed before, and without going back to confirm the specific numbers, Crean did have IU running a top 25 and a top 50 D in a couple seasons at least.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not sure that was the problem. There are lots of teams who shot a lot of threes and can still defend at a high level. I think our defensive issues were more systemic. Also, as we've all discussed before, and without going back to confirm the specific numbers, Crean did have IU running a top 25 and a top 50 D in a couple seasons at least.

I think the fact that we were only top 25 with perhaps the best individual defender in the country, as well as a few other really good individual defenders, shows how bad Crean's ability to teach team defense was. 

Archived