Home security tips

mrflynn03

So by accident last night i discovered someone has been pawing around trying to get in my house.

I stuck my head out of the bathroom window to see what my wife was doing outside and thought where did my screen go?  It had been slid up and there were fingerprints all over the window.  I checked other accessible windows and found fingerprints all over my living room window too. Had a sheriff deputy come by and he confirmed I'm not crazy.

So im installing a deadbolt on saturday.  Any tips or tricks on securing doors or windows would be helpful.

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So by accident last night i discovered someone has been pawing around trying to get in my house.

I stuck my head out of the bathroom window to see what my wife was doing outside and thought where did my screen go?  It had been slid up and there were fingerprints all over the window.  I checked other accessible windows and found fingerprints all over my living room window too. Had a sheriff deputy come by and he confirmed I'm not crazy.

So im installing a deadbolt on saturday.  Any tips or tricks on securing doors or windows would be helpful.

Sorry to hear that. Scary stuff. I don't have much to offer other than normal lights, locks, and a very loud dog if possible. People suggest cameras but I'm not sure if cameras are even a deterrent anymore. We see daily the videos of thieves walking up to steal packages from porches on video. 

Good luck with things!

It's possible to build your own home security system. Translation, don't spend a fortune with ADT or a similar company.  They aren't scams, just overpriced.

You're correct in that cameras aren't deterrents, but in addition to capturing faces and/or descriptions, they can capture background information, such as vehicle descriptions or license plates. Personal preference: motion activated with an option for constant record, video written to a dedicated hard drive/recording unit. If you have accessible attic space, go hardwired (POE/POC if you're hardcore).

In terms of security sensors there's one thing to remember: prevent ingress. I've seen so many headaches over motion sensors on interior rooms. McFly....HELLOOOO....if they're in there, it's too late. Go with high quality but simple open/closed sensors on all windows and exterior doors (including the garage door and attic access) . Glass breakage sensors on 1st floor doors and windows, and any larger upper floor windows.

Have a 2 stage siren. A "warning" level for the first 30 seconds followed by one that'll make your ears bleed. Inconspicuously mounted strobe lights are a nice touch for that post-warning phase on front or road facing windows if the alarm should get to stage 2. If you can program the sensors by zones, you can set upper floor or bedroom windows to automatically go to stage 2.

And as a last line of defense, there's always this:

7-g31023.jpg

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry to hear that. Scary stuff. I don't have much to offer other than normal lights, locks, and a very loud dog if possible. People suggest cameras but I'm not sure if cameras are even a deterrent anymore. We see daily the videos of thieves walking up to steal packages from porches on video. 

Good luck with things!

Thanks,  I do have a dog.  He is small but loud.  So hopefully that helps. 

Several years ago, had a guy attempt to break in, while we all were in the house. Took screen off an open window, and tried climbing in, while I was in the room. I yelled at him, and he took off running. Must have been on drugs. 

Anyway, after the police got done hunting for him, never caught him.  I asked. What is the best security system ?  Answer :  "Get a German Shepard" "The bigger, the better".  So we did.  And have one today as well.

That Simplisafe that NTL recommended above.  Looks like a good system per the ads I have seen on tv. 

I went the German Shepherd route as well. I probably should put a beware of GS sign as he is not much of a barker/ watchdog.

Other than that, motion activated lights are great. Plus, I like seeing when wildlife is in my backyard. 

Then the motion activated video. Ring, Guardzilla or others will send an alert to your phone. Might give you a warning or perhaps provide evidence later as well as a possible preventative measure. 

25 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I went the German Shepherd route as well. I probably should put a beware of GS sign as he is not much of a barker/ watchdog.

Other than that, motion activated lights are great. Plus, I like seeing when wildlife is in my backyard. 

Then the motion activated video. Ring, Guardzilla or others will send an alert to your phone. Might give you a warning or perhaps provide evidence later as well as a possible preventative measure. 

Our German grew and grew as a pup.  Had very large feet. So we expected a large German.  And got one. Topped out at 120 to 130  pounds.  Our German will bark at strangers. We always know when the milk man is delivering at 3 a.m. Ours does not bark  at people that are known. I do have a "Beware of Dog" sign on both entrances to our back yard.  The size alone of our German has intimidated strangers and friends alike. Knows commands in both English and German. 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Our German grew and grew as a pup.  Had very large feet. So we expected a large German.  And got one. Topped out at 120 to 130  pounds.  Our German will bark at strangers. Not at people that are known. I do have a "Beware of Dog" sign on both entrances to our back yard.  The size alone of our German has intimidated strangers and friends alike. Knows commands in both English and German. 

That was like my last GS. I think being overweight was a factor in his cancer and early death. Not that he was fat, I think he topped out around 110 before we put him on a diet and got him to 90. Strangers definitely get scared when they see him coming. Great to have around when workers (plumber, etc) have to be in your house. Not worried at all that they would ever come back some night. 

My current GS was adopted 2 years ago so I don't know much about his earlier life but now at age 9 (or 10?) he is an old man dog and lays next to me while I work. Shows no interest in other dogs, kids running around etc, just minds his business. Still quite the sight when he leaps into action and you can see his athletic ability even as an older dog.

Again, I highly endorse a large dog as part of a comprehensive security strategy!

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

^^^  Vet says our GS, based on size is ok at 120-130 pounds. 

Yep, there can be a lot of variance in physical size, even among purebreds.  The vet says our dog is perfectly healthy at 19 lbs, when the average for a female Boston Terrier is 13-14. 

Security wise.....the only way she's stopping an intruder is if they trip over her.  xD

12 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Yep, there can be a lot of variance in physical size, even among purebreds.  The vet says our dog is perfectly healthy at 19 lbs, when the average for a female Boston Terrier is 13-14. 

Security wise.....the only way she's stopping an intruder is if they trip over her.  xD

Conversely.  We have had solicitors come to the front door.  Take one look at our GS, and turn and walk away.  Without even trying to ring the door bell.  LOL

I got broken into in February while I was icefishing in Michigan.  They came in through my laundry room window by removing the screen and prying the window open breaking my window lock.  The damage could have been worse as they only made off with a flat screen tv, dvd player, a few pieces of jewelry(including my hs class ring), and my change jars.  Something must have scared them off because they could have completely cleaned me out.

But anyway the investigating officer suggested I cut pieces of wood and put in my windows so that they cannot be opened.  He said a thief rarely breaks a window due to their personal injury concerns about climbing through broken glass.  I got the wood in all my 1st floor windows.

Always remember, if somebody wants in bad enough they will get in.

22 minutes ago, rico said:

I got broken into in February while I was icefishing in Michigan.  They came in through my laundry room window by removing the screen and prying the window open breaking my window lock.  The damage could have been worse as they only made off with a flat screen tv, dvd player, a few pieces of jewelry(including my hs class ring), and my change jars.  Something must have scared them off because they could have completely cleaned me out.

But anyway the investigating officer suggested I cut pieces of wood and put in my windows so that they cannot be opened.  He said a thief rarely breaks a window due to their personal injury concerns about climbing through broken glass.  I got the wood in all my 1st floor windows.

Always remember, if somebody wants in bad enough they will get in.

I dont really have much of value. Cheap electronics, guns but they are hopefully secure, wife's engagement ring is in a safe at a friend's house. That's the only thing we really dont want to lose.

I had thought of putting wood in the windows just a little bit before you mentioned. Does it matter what I use?  Just looking at being cost effective. 

I'm hoping I have lazy thieves and they give up. 

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I dont really have much of value. Cheap electronics, guns but they are hopefully secure, wife's engagement ring is in a safe at a friend's house. That's the only thing we really dont want to lose.

I had thought of putting wood in the windows just a little bit before you mentioned. Does it matter what I use?  Just looking at being cost effective. 

I'm hoping I have lazy thieves and they give up. 

I used spindles that were left over from me building my sister's deck.  I cut them down to the size/sizes I needed.  

I have over-the-top security and I paid for it.  Door, window and motion sensors that call local law enforcement and sound an ear-piercing alarm.  4K infra-red cameras that can zoom in and read license plates in near pitch black covering 100% of the exterior and push notifications to my phone and my wife's phone, doorbell cameras that also push notifications and allow me to talk to whoever is approaching my entrances and hear their response.  As long as I have a wireless signal or mobile data, I am connected to both my home and my office.

...and yes, I am armed to the teeth and practice marksmanship regularly.

Why the apparent paranoia?  We live in the sticks away from town and expected response time from county law enforcement is 10-20 minutes and I believe evidence of a strong security system is a deterrent to would-be criminals.  Knock on wood, we've never been broken into yet and I hope we never need to download security footage for law enforcement or worse yet, fire a gun in self defense.

On a budget, the ring or simplisafe systems look pretty good for $200-300.  I second the suggestion of a Maverick 88 12 gauge as those can be had used for $100-150 and anyone can be accurate enough with them.  If you want non-lethal, but painful, bird shot or rubber buck will smart quite a bit.  Bird shot will actually penetrate, but is often not lethal.  The dog is a great suggestion, but don't expect that to be cheap!

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I have over-the-top security and I paid for it.  Door, window and motion sensors that call local law enforcement and sound an ear-piercing alarm.  4K infra-red cameras that can zoom in and read license plates in near pitch black covering 100% of the exterior and push notifications to my phone and my wife's phone, doorbell cameras that also push notifications and allow me to talk to whoever is approaching my entrances and hear their response.  As long as I have a wireless signal or mobile data, I am connected to both my home and my office.

Why the apparent paranoia?  We live in the sticks away from town and expected response time from county law enforcement is 10-20 minutes and I believe evidence of a strong security system is a deterrent to would-be criminals.  Knock on wood, we've never been broken into yet and I hope we never need to download security footage for law enforcement or worse yet, fire a gun in self defense.

On a budget, the ring or simplisafe systems look pretty good for $200-300.  I second the suggestion of a Maverick 88 12 gauge as those can be had used for $100-150 and anyone can be accurate enough with them.  If you want non-lethal, but painful, bird shot or rubber buck will smart quite a bit.  Bird shot will actually penetrate, but is often not lethal.  The dog is a great suggestion, but don't expect that to be cheap!

🍻

That's a solid setup. Only thing I would have done differently is a outward facing strobe, but if you're in the middle of nowhere, not really going to be of much use.

Oh, one thing that always helps: having a cop as a neighbor that conspicuously parks his patrol car in the driveway..lol.

19 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

🍻

That's a solid setup. Only thing I would have done differently is a outward facing strobe, but if you're in the middle of nowhere, not really going to be of much use.

Oh, one thing that always helps: having a cop as a neighbor that conspicuously parks his patrol car in the driveway..lol.

I actually have a city cop living behind the office and their response time to low battery window sensors faster than I could pull up the cameras on my phone.

...and no strobe in the home but there is a laser/strobe combo on the AR pistol if I'm home when an uninvited guest comes calling. 

Cheers...:cheers:

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Impressive. Only thing I would add to your outstanding system is a German Shephard... roaming the yard, with access to the house, Ney Doggie door. 

Editing to add. After reading you post about the cost of a German.

Our first was a pure bred. From a breeder.  And was expensive.

We got our current from the Denver Shelter. Who was given up  for adoption, by a divided family. And cost us just $ 50.00.  So I recommend checking your local shelters on a daily basis for what is available.

Our first was a great GS. However, our adopted GS shows us more appreciation than our pure bred ever did.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I actually have a city cop living behind the office and their response time to low battery window sensors faster than I could pull up the cameras on my phone.

...and no strobe in the home but there is a laser/strobe combo on the AR pistol if I'm home when an uninvited guest comes calling. 

Cheers...:cheers:

The strobe isn't considered standard, but it's a little psychological trickery I thought made sense. What's the one emergency people in general respond to? Fire. What do strobe lights mounted on a building make you think of? Commercial building fire alarms.

Mine are actually just Whelen emergency LED strobes mounted in my regular outside lights. Meant more for outside alert vs confusing/disorienting intruders.

Archived