IU vs UConn game thread

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel Ramsey gets the ball off quicker with a little zip, when he throws farther. IMHO, I feel he "takes his foot off the gas" a little with his short yardage passes. Sometimes, I feel he tries to be too safe and doesn't want to risk an inaccurate pass. I have watched several Ramsey short pass completions that barely get to the reciever and the defender is already there.

When Penix completes the very same pass, it's out much quicker, caught sooner, giving the IU receiver more time for separation/extra yards and 1st downs.

8 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I feel Ramsey gets the ball off quicker with a little zip, when he throws farther. IMHO, I feel he "takes his foot off the gas" a little with his short yardage passes. Sometimes, I feel he tries to be too safe and doesn't want to risk an inaccurate pass. I have watched several Ramsey short pass completions that barely get to the reciever and the defender is already there.

When Penix completes the very same pass, it's out much quicker, caught sooner, giving the IU receiver more time for separation/extra yards and 1st downs.

A lot of that is due to the fact that Penix has a stronger arm. This won't be another "Ramsey can't throw" complaint, as I think he gets run down a little too far in that regard. Ramsey has an average arm. Penix has a good (if not great) arm.

Typically, shorter passes require a shorter drop. Shorter drops mean the feet might not be perfectly set and or a shorter windup/follow through. Better arms can overcome that with just pure throwing strength,which is where Ramsey struggles.

Archived