Parking places preferrences ?

milehiiu

20 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Like at a mall or at Home Depot, or at the grocery store.

I always look for the space I can park going all the way through. In order to drive right out, rather than backing out.

Heard years ago, that was the safest thing to do.

How about you ?

Same as well as usually near a cart corral as far from the entrance as possible

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Same as well as usually near a cart corral as far from the entrance as possible

Oh yeah.  Close to a cart corral.  Even if not close to a cart corral. I always return the cart, regardless of how far.  Hate the people that don't have the decent courtesy of thinking of others.

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Like at a mall or at Home Depot, or at the grocery store.

I always look for the space I can park going all the way through. In order to drive right out, rather than backing out.

Heard years ago, that was the safest thing to do.

How about you ?

At Home Depot/Lowes/etc, I purposely do the opposite. I want the tailgate/cargo area facing the aisle for ease of loading large objects.

4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

At Home Depot/Lowes/etc, I purposely do the opposite. I want the tailgate/cargo area facing the aisle for ease of loading large objects.

I guess not all Home Depots are  the same.  At my local depot, they have a contractors only parking area, under roof.  And then another area for designated specifically for trucks and trailers. Only one vehicle per space.  Where you can load, and pull out, without backing out. 

"Pulling through" is one of the most dangerous actions in parking lots, imo.

I don't know how many near accidents I have witnessed, or frankly been part of , when I have attempted to pull into a parking spot, only to have someone come from the other side and pull through into the spot I was trying to park in. Especially dangerous when either side of the spot is filled with an SUV or some other high sitting vehicle so that when I pull in with my low slung Audi, I am blind until into the spot. 

I know parking lots are private areas, so I don't believe they can be policed for traffic laws, but if I had any input, I'd make the action of pulling through illegal.

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I guess not all Home Depots are  the same.  At my local depot, they have a contractors only parking area, under roof.  And then another area for designated specifically for trucks and trailers. Only one vehicle per space.  Where you can load, and pull out, without backing out. 

Ours has that as well, but it's twice as congested as the regular lot. And often, I'm not pulling a trailer.

From the National Safety Council : Upon Arriving. Pull through. On arrival. Whenever possible. And if it works with the flow of traffic.

9% of parking lot deaths, result from backing up.

Parking Lot Safety

I learned about the pull through from a member of Hoosier Sports Nation, who spent a week at my house.  He works at the Indy Speedway. And took a course on parking lot safety, as part of his job at the time.  Till then, I never was a pull through kind of guy. But after his visit, I am now.

40 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Ours has that as well, but it's twice as congested as the regular lot. And often, I'm not pulling a trailer.

You don't have to be pulling a trailer at ours.  The long parking spaces are marked for ONE vehicle only.  I use it. I like it.  Sounds like ours is not as busy as yours. 

This is such a vast and encompassing question to ponder.  I have different preferences for different places(is that a country song?).  When I am shopping I park far away from the front door...when going to the bar I park as close as possible to it.  Why is that?

There are two parts to this discussion.

I agree that it is safer to pull out vs backing out. Common sense, and it doesn’t take some national study to verify what is logical.

It’s the pulling in that is debatable, imo. As I said earlier, witnessed or participated in too many head on collisions or near collisions. Witnessed quite a few knuckleheads who have pulled through much to quickly without any thought that someone might be trying to pull in from the other side 

I can't tell if it's by design or what but the Kroger I shop at has to have the 2 smallest parking lots available relative to how crowded the stores are. Always a minor miracle just getting in and out without a problem. To answer your question I park in the corner as far away from entrance as possible. 2 reasons why. First my car won't get dinged again and secondly I get extra steps in. 

Archived