National One Hit Wonder Day 9/25

milehiiu

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Miley's dad was always an inclusion on my list of OHW, but he had to go and screw it up this year with "Old Town Road".

Travel back to 1992 and make a bet on Billy Ray Cyrus taking 27 years to chart his second #1 hit on a hip-hop single. You'd either be drug tested, thrown in a padded room, or both.

18 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Miley's dad was always an inclusion on my list of OHW, but he had to go and screw it up this year with "Old Town Road".

Travel back to 1992 and make a bet on Billy Ray Cyrus taking 27 years to chart his second #1 hit on a hip-hop single. You'd either be drug tested, thrown in a padded room, or both.

With a then 11 year old.  I know Old Town Road way too well. Anytime you relive Achy Breaky Heart, you just have to day it. 27 years makes me feel ancient 

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

With a then 11 year old.  I know Old Town Road way too well. Anytime you relive Achy Breaky Heart, you just have to day it. 27 years makes me feel ancient 

And the other ironic thing, both of his hits were insanely popular, but were overplayed to the point they became annoying.

Old Town Road was good the first 147 times I heard it. After that....no.

The Sun Rays. Probably hardly anyone here knows of them.  However, they did appear on campus when I was a student at IU. A two hit wonder.

Had many choices to link for their first hit.  Chose this one, thinking the guys in the crowd would enjoy it :

THE SUNRAYS "I Live For The Sun" 

And their second hit :

The Sunrays, Andrea 

11 minutes ago, rico said:

I lost a friendly bet on this one a few years back.  Interesting for trivia buffs...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_the_Lights_Went_Out_in_Georgia

That's a good one. So.... were you saying, Vickie Lawrence did not sing that song ?   Heck.... I would have taken that bet with you as well.  LOL

I have a story on this one.  A few years ago, these guys were playing a free street concert in Louisville at what is called 4th Street Live, which is the city's main entertainment block with clubs, bars, etc.  My office at the time was situated about a half block from the stage, and the building I was in did not keep sound out to well.  In anticipation of that night's concert, the group came out to practice during the afternoon.  They literally played this song 15 times in an hour.  By the end of that hour, I was halfway to insane.  Even today, if the song comes on the radio, I'm changing channels before the first note is complete.

33 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That's a good one. So.... were you saying, Vickie Lawrence did not sing that song ?   Heck.... I would have taken that bet with you as well.  LOL

Well I knew Reba didn't sing the original...but no way in heck did I think it was Mrs. Harper!  Lost $5 on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived