Michigan State Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Positives to take away......so sick of positives to take away after a loss. They will be better than most  B1G teams. had their way at times with a respected defense. It wasn't OSU . but it wasn't BSU, EIU, or UConn at the same time . Sticking with 9-3.. Just bc Penix is a beast! I give them a real chance every week from here , too.. 

1 minute ago, hoopsta007 said:

Disappointing loss but at least we showed some fight. Completely agree about coaching.  Wasted time outs and poor situational management

Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, NW, are all games we should win the way things are shaping up.  7-5 would still be a successful year.

I am more confident about Michigan at home than I am Maryland on the road.  Even if we lose both of those though, we should get to 6 wins.  Lose to Purdue, Rutgers, or NW and we don't deserve a bowl.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I go back to the end of t he first half. Total mismanagement by the coaching staff.  We have an opportunity to score if we stay aggressive.  Instead, we play ultra conservative and hand a TD to MSU.  

I agree. Just can’t let up at all. That sets a tone, and you have got to change the narrative from old to new way of thinking.

The loss sucks, but I feel a lot better about our season after today.  We put up a hell of a showing, and our offense put up a legit 31 points against what some people were calling the best defense in the country.  Penix is a complete stud, and I can't wait to see what he can do.  He should have some really good wins to his name by the time he is done here.

I thought some aspects of our defense was better, but the long plays killed us all day.  Tackling was better, and we had a lot of plays we stuffed, but those deep passes just kicked our ass at the wrong times.  Mullen is going to be a lock down corner for us.

Also, the rest of our schedule looks easier every week.  NW isn't very good, Maryland looked terrible yesterday, and Purdue likely lost Sindelar and Moore for the season.  I'm really liking at least 7 wins this year.

If someone was to make a list of the 10 best players on the team, there would be a lot of freshman and sophomores on that list.  We should keep getting better and better this year as those guys get more experience.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I am more confident about Michigan at home than I am Maryland on the road.  Even if we lose both of those though, we should get to 6 wins.  Lose to Purdue, Rutgers, or NW and we don't deserve a bowl.

I like Maryland on the road better.  They have looked horrible the last 2 weeks.  I also like our chances against Michigan at home, but I don't think Maryland is very good.  I do think we have a good shot in both of them.

Sorry,   but i'm afraid I don't share the optimism. That's  0 - 12 versus ranked teams.  When the game was there to be one  (third and two in their own side of the field in the fourth quarter, for example) they would not make the plays to win.  This is going on three years and nothing is different.  He was supposed to be a defensive coach, but the defense can't stop even Michigan State, which will never have a great offense, in year three. He's had the three best recruiting classes in program history but will struggle to make a bowl game (frankly I don't see it) and will not have a signature win against a ranked team. Again, I apologize, I never post on the football page and thus feel bad for venting, but I'm tired.

1 minute ago, MSHoosier said:

Sorry,   but i'm afraid I don't share the optimism. That's  0 - 12 versus ranked teams.  When the game was there to be one  (third and two in their own side of the field in the fourth quarter, for example) they would not make the plays to win.  This is going on three years and nothing is different.  He was supposed to be a defensive coach, but the defense can't stop even Michigan State, which will never have a great offense, in year three. He's had the three best recruiting classes in program history but will struggle to make a bowl game (frankly I don't see it) and will not have a signature win against a ranked team. Again, I apologize, I never post on the football page and thus feel bad for venting, but I'm tired.

So, you seriously do not think we can beat NW and Rutgers at home and an injury ravaged Purdue team on the road?  

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, you seriously do not think we can beat NW and Rutgers at home and an injury ravaged Purdue team on the road?  

Northwestern has a coach that can get his team to play the same type of controlled offense and defense as does Michigan State. No I don't see that as a win. Rutgers I feel good about. Not Maryland and I'll believe beating Purdue when I see it. 

30 minutes ago, WestCoastOffense said:

In 2015 we lost 52-36 to MSU in East Lansing. Blow out. Not a blow out in 2019, in fact a close game throughout. Just the facts.

Not to mention...In 2018 their D-line teed off on IU all day ..Today they did not 

They were kept both honest and on their heels throughout most of the contest..

There were plays to lament

The drive with 3 run plays(felt like DeBord phoned in and called that drive), the quick TD the D gave up before the end of the 1st half .the failure to score once again with the lead at 24-21 early in the 4th.. There were several more, but several more times they put themselves into position to win than last time . Backbreakers but not spirit breakers by any means .They fought and fought

Game went almost exactly the way I thought it would pre-game , actually. 

Another “asterisk win” for IU. While I prefer asterisk wins to blowouts they are getting old (after decades of patience..LOL).

As usual we did not make some plays, or made bad calls, that have little or no impact on the box score but cost us yet another game:

-Dropped a sure pick-six in first half

-Returner catches punt instead of letting it go into end zone. Field gets flipped and MSU scores quickly before the half (going back decades.....raise you hand if you have any faith in any IU defense preventing a 60-80-90 yard drive when time is running out).

-4th quarter we run the ball three straight times because we are scared to death to win (or play not to lose). Our programs mentality is “please don’t lose”.  I understand the thought process of being conservative when you are backed up on your side of the field a bit but when you are a team that completed 20 passes in a row, has NOTHING TO LOSE, has a rare chance to win a conference game against a ranked opponent on the road you GO FOR IT. Those weenie calls were sickening.

-throw a bomb that just misses by inches.

- Hit the panic button, on cue, when we have a chance to win. OC stops doing what worked, penalties piled up, defense falls apart, etc. There were some positives but I am getting tired of watching the same movie over and over. 

That being said....I’ll be watching the next game with fingers crossed...LOL. 

54 minutes ago, MPM said:

Just need Penix to stay healthy the rest of the year. I can’t imagine any D coordinators left on the schedule are looking forward to game planning on how to stop him. Need the defense to start playing much better in these big games.  

I can’t imagine any D coordinators left on the schedule are looking forward to game planning on how to stop him....

Exactly what I want teams to think,...... but like when Antwan Randal El was a beast and almost impossible to contain......we still found ways to loose!!!! Until we beat teams like Michigan St. No one is REALLY gonna take us seriously. Yes, we are much better than last year, but the continuous play-killing penalties, inconsistency to stop on 3rd downs and inability to contain a scrambling QB was the reason why we lost this game...bottom line. ZERO MORAL VICTORY HERE. We clean that $#*! up,......then we will finally be taken seriously....

Archived