Smith at the 3?

Hoosier98

I have been saying this since his freshman year but I’m still not giving up. If he has any intention of playing after IU, he will have to play the three. I will be the first to admit that he has not been a very good shooter or driver, but there is no doubt he can defend the 2-4 and the offense seems like more of a motion than dribble drive. From his presser the other day, CAM sounded like Deron and TJD are both going to start. I think Thompson will spell TJD, Brunk will spell Deron, and Hunter will spell Smith. That leaves Al, Damezi, and Franklin to back up the two guard spots, although I don’t think there will be very many minutes there. That would be a very lengthy starting lineup and Bsquad. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosier98 said:

I have been saying this since his freshman year but I’m still not giving up. If he has any intention of playing after IU, he will have to play the three. I will be the first to admit that he has not been a very good shooter or driver, but there is no doubt he can defend the 2-4 and the offense seems like more of a motion than dribble drive. From his presser the other day, CAM sounded like Deron and TJD are both going to start. I think Thompson will spell TJD, Brunk will spell Deron, and Hunter will spell Smith. That leaves Al, Damezi, and Franklin to back up the two guard spots, although I don’t think there will be very many minutes there. That would be a very lengthy starting lineup and Bsquad. 

We would really lack shooting/playmaking playing Justin at the 3. We need a scorer on the wing opposite Green. I love Justin’s defense...he can clearly defend 1-4 on the court but I’d be shocked if he is playing the 3 much at all this year. He is just too limited offensively.

What kind of starting lineup does everyone think there will be this year? I can see the one I mentioned above or this:

Rob

Good Devonte

Hunter

Smith

De’Ron

This one leaves out TJD though. I really don’t think Justin will come off the bench. Coach Miller really likes him and he is a game changer when he plays good. CAM has mentioned playing an old school lineup with two bigs, that is why I was thinking Justin at the three. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

What kind of starting lineup does everyone think there will be this year? I can see the one I mentioned above or this:

Rob

Good Devonte

Hunter

Smith

De’Ron

This one leaves out TJD though. I really don’t think Justin will come off the bench. Coach Miller really likes him and he is a game changer when he plays good. CAM has mentioned playing an old school lineup with two bigs, that is why I was thinking Justin at the three. 

If you think TJD isn't starting you are out of your mind.  

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If you think TJD isn't starting you are out of your mind.  

I think he will start. I’m just trying to see who everyone else thinks will be at the three and the five. I don’t think DeRon (sr) or Smith (jr) will come off the bench either.  My original lineup was:

Rob, Green, Smith, TJD, Davis

Where am I wrong? I don’t see any other realistic options. People just want to say Smith can’t start at the three but don’t tell me who will? 

3 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

I think he will start. I’m just trying to see who everyone else thinks will be at the three and the five. I don’t think DeRon (sr) or Smith (jr) will come off the bench either.  My original lineup was:

Rob, Green, Smith, TJD, Davis

Where am I wrong? I don’t see any other realistic options. People just want to say Smith can’t start at the three but don’t tell me who will? 

The 3 spot is the biggest mystery.  Brunk or Deron won't surprise me at the 5 either.  I think Brunk starts.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The 3 spot is the biggest mystery.  Brunk or Deron won't surprise me at the 5 either.  I think Brunk starts.

That wouldn’t surprise me, because he probably has a better chance of playing more minutes due to conditioning. I think one of those two at the 5 and TJD at the 4. That is why smith or Hunter (maybe later in the season) has to be at the three. I also think people are sleeping on Thompson getting quality minutes at the 4 (10-15 based on foul trouble). 

48 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I think....

Smith has unbelievable untapped talent.

His dad screwed with his head.

And should Smith get his head screwed on right, and listen to Coach, and not his dad. He will have an unreal season.

Mile,

I agree with you on this one.  Smith was absolutely the most frustrating and enigmatic player on the team.  All the preseason buzz has centered on Hunter who we have yet to see play a game.  However, there is no doubting that Smith with just a respectable outside shot and some handles would be a nightmare for any opposing team we face.  I truly wish him well this season since the hair I pulled out watching him last year has finally grown back!

31 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Mile,

I agree with you on this one.  Smith was absolutely the most frustrating and enigmatic player on the team.  All the preseason buzz has centered on Hunter who we have yet to see play a game.  However, there is no doubting that Smith with just a respectable outside shot and some handles would be a nightmare for any opposing team we face.  I truly wish him well this season since the hair I pulled out watching him last year has finally grown back!

Thank you Sir. Look at this. YOU have more likes, than posts.  YOU need to post more !

2 hours ago, Hoosier98 said:

Rob

Good Devonte

Hunter

Smith

De’Ron

I think early one the lineup will be

RP

Green

Al

Smith 

Davis

25 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Smith was absolutely the most frustrating and enigmatic player on the team. 

No argument here. Probably Smith & "bad Devonte" tied for most frustrating.

I actually think Hunter can start over Smith. Putting Smith on the bench might help to get his head right. I don't think Arch can afford to have a non-productive offensive player on the floor, even if his defense is good. If Hunter and Smith are equal, I'd take Hunter. At least he worked up a sweat when he played, and Smith has had 2 years to prove himself, and hasn't done so IMO. His movement without the ball is lackluster, never makes a hard cut, just kind of ½ speed trots. It's a shame too, because he's athletic, right size, and talented.

Go back and look at any game of your choice and compare the cuts Devonte makes to get open vs Smith. Not trying to be Debbie downer here, but hard for me to pick Smith over Hunter at this point, even though Hunter hasn't played a minute of D1 ball. I sure hope I'm wrong for the team's sake.

If Hunter starts over Smith it means that he is heads and shoulders above Smith. I think Hunter has a good chance of taking it over by conference but I would expect him to start slowly and work his way to that point. It is easy to dislike Smith because of many of the reasons you all have listed above but his athleticism is game changing when he turns it on. 

I love Al, but I don’t see him starting this year, barring injury. I think Hunter will be ahead of him at the two and the three/third guard. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier98 said:

It is easy to dislike Smith because of many of the reasons you all have listed above but his athleticism is game changing when he turns it on.

No doubt Smith has the potential to be terrific, he just doesn't seem to want to hustle.

For those of you who doubt this, go to the IU Fan Community site and watch Coach's Corner that breaks down the first 4 minutes of the Witchita State game last year in the NIT. Watch it once with Coach breaking down the film, then watch it again and don't take your eyes off of Smith. I think you'll be surprised as to what you see.

The problem with Smith at the 3 is that to this point in his career he has shown absolutely zero skill set to play that position. On the wing you need to be able to shoot, handle the ball, create offense, handle the ball in traffic, pass, etc. I’m not trying to bash Smith, because he can be a very valuable player on this team, it’s just that to this point nothing he’s shown points to be able to play this position.

I think he has shown flashes of being able to, but he has for sure looked unable at other times. I’m hoping a new offense that relies more on movement without the ball will benefit him and get him catch and shoot opportunities. Hopefully he will be able to hit those shots.  I am looking forward to an offense where dribble drive is not the main action; maybe I am just old school.

49 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The game plan on Smith is to sag off him 5-7 ft and clog the lane. He should be coming off the bench and scoring on back cuts and offensive rebounds. That’s where he’s most effective right now. 

It’s what I would do to him, too. Hopefully he develops from the perimeter this year. He will be older and hopefully has worked on that in the offseason. 

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

download (2).jpeg

Have no idea what this is suppose to mean but if you don't think there is a real possibility this could be a lineup then you have no clue what you talking about.  Just because you think there is no way that TJD won't start doesn't mean he won't start the season coming off the bench.  Just look at last year when there were two McDonalds AA at UNC and Villanova never started a game their freshman year.

If everyone is healthy and if Hunter is as advertised, I would think that RP, Green, Hunter, TJD, and then Davis would be the starting 5.  You will have Al and to a lesser extent Franklin in rotation at the 1 and 2.  Smith/Thompson for TJD.  Brunk and Davis should each go about 20 minutes a game.  Then you hope that Damezi has developed enough to get in at the 3 and spell Hunter.

1 hour ago, Hoosier98 said:

I think he has shown flashes of being able to, but he has for sure looked unable at other times. I’m hoping a new offense that relies more on movement without the ball will benefit him and get him catch and shoot opportunities. Hopefully he will be able to hit those shots.  I am looking forward to an offense where dribble drive is not the main action; maybe I am just old school.

What flashes? He was a turnover machine last year that was air balling wide open 10ft jumpers. As a wing player you not only have to able to shoot, but you’re also a guy that is coming off ball screens and having to create and make decisions with the ball in your hands. Smith really has shown no ability to do any of that. 

He’s a guy you want setting ball screens and rolling to the rim, not handling the ball and having to shoot, pass or penetrate off the dribble. 

Michigan State. You may want to brace yourself for him playing the three to start. I really think that is what coach miller is going to do. TJD is going to play the 4. Not sure if you listened at all to the media day but the offense is changing. The three point line is moving back 12 inches.if I am wrong, I will gladly admit it.

16 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

Michigan State. You may want to brace yourself for him playing the three to start. I really think that is what coach miller is going to do. TJD is going to play the 4. Not sure if you listened at all to the media day but the offense is changing. The three point line is moving back 12 inches.if I am wrong, I will gladly admit it.

Hopefully this doesn't duplicate post bit my reply disappeared.   Anyways.  

Wouldn't moving the line back make it even more unlilely of smith playing the three?  He would really have to get much better handling, passing, and shooting.  Lets hope.  

Archived