Smith at the 3?

Hoosier98

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dgambill said:

No. We we’re ranked 50th in the country in defensive efficiency last year and 4th or 5th in B1G. If you take all the Stony Brooks and Browns and Jacksonville States who play much much inferior competition we would actually be top 30. Defense was and won’t be our problem. We lack scoring and more importantly balance on the offensive end. If you think Justin is going to replace Romeos scoring and spacing at the 3 then he better take a huge leap in shooting. I’ll say this...Even if you don’t think we start Jerome at the 3 there is a better chance we start a 3 guard lineup with Rob, Devonte, and Al then Justin playing the 3. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Justin start the 4 one bit because he is our most versatile and talented defender but we have to balance the floor on offense. I’m not worried how we start the season but by our 8-10th game I imagine Jerome will be in that role at the 3.

Adj d was 32.  Just looked this up 2 days ago.  Great reason for optimism that the defense is going to be stacked.   No longer can teams slaughter Juwan Morgan as he avoids fouling out while being totally gassed.   

And totally agree and hopeful on the rest of what you said.  

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think you might be Mr Smith. You comment anytime there is criticism of Justin and bash anyone that thinks Hunter might be special.  Some of us have seen things first hand to tell us JH is going to very good 

Mr. Smith I really like you son and think he could be an all conference player, just let.him play😉 I just playing

i don't bash anyone. i merely point out that no one here has seen hunter play college ball, including you. saying he is going to be special is speculation. hey, i hope hunter is better than smith. i hope franklin is better than phinisee, and so on. that means the roster is getting better

Just now, coachv said:

most coaches i have known want their best defender on the floor 

I never said I didn't want him on the floor. Where did you read that? Also, he's not IU's best defender, he's IU's most versatile defender, but he suffers from focus and effort issues. 

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

No. We we’re ranked 50th in the country in defensive efficiency last year and 4th or 5th in B1G. If you take all the Stony Brooks and Browns and Jacksonville States who play much much inferior competition we would actually be top 30. Defense was not and won’t be our problem. We lack scoring and more importantly balance on the offensive end. If you think Justin is going to replace Romeos scoring and spacing at the 3 then he better take a huge leap in shooting. I’ll say this...Even if you don’t think we start Jerome at the 3 there is a better chance we start a 3 guard lineup with Rob, Devonte, and Al then Justin playing the 3. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Justin start the 4 one bit because he is our most versatile and talented defender but we have to balance the floor on offense. I’m not worried how we start the season but by our 8-10th game I imagine Jerome will be in that role at the 3.

i would also like to see smith get some run at the 4. he plays taller than he is thanks to his ungodly hops

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I never said I didn't want him on the floor. Where did you read that? Also, he's not IU's best defender, he's IU's most versatile defender, but he suffers from focus and effort issues. 

i never said you didn't want him on the floor. where did you read that? lol

35 minutes ago, coachv said:

i don't bash anyone. i merely point out that no one here has seen hunter play college ball, including you. saying he is going to be special is speculation. hey, i hope hunter is better than smith. i hope franklin is better than phinisee, and so on. that means the roster is getting better

I'm just playing bash is too harsh. I am a big JS fan. I see so much upside in his game

14 minutes ago, coachv said:

i never said you didn't want him on the floor. where did you read that? lol

My apologies if I misinterpreted your post. I read it as you were implying that I don't Justin Smith should play, which isn't the case. I just don't think he should play at a position that he's shown no ability to play to this point. If he's improved his shooting, handles, decision making and play-making abilities significantly over the offseason then by all means play him on the wing. But if he hasn't, then he should be at the forward position, where he's played to this point in his career. 

Archived