Hoosier Hysteria..

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from Bloomington and Hoosier Hysteria.

We had a fire drill!

Calbert said he backed CAM and what he was doing.  He also "busted a move" .

Al and Ali dominated the 3 point contest.

A new "skills" contest:  dribble down court weaving among obstacles, put a two hand chest pass through a hole in another barrier, go full court and make a lay up, and finish going full court and making a 3.  The the preliminary round was men v. men and women v. women, but the final was man-woman v. man-woman.  Ali and Joey won.

The dunk contest was won by Jackson-Davis on close judge's decision. Cal and two women's players were the judges.  They had agreed exactly on all previous scores.  However, on the last turn of Jackson-Davis he received a 9-9-10 against a 9-9-9.  The last score up was a 10 from one of the women's players.  Guess she wanted to get home early for supper.

Can't say you could tell much from the scrimmage which was only 8 minutes.  Green, D. Davis, and Phinesee did not play.  Hunter played and made 2 mid range shots off of good moves.

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

What’s your point though? Archie hasn’t had any problems recruiting. 

His recruiting has been good not great.  He hasn't had any top 5 classes therefore he'd better be Tony Bennett, John Beilein, Bo Ryan, etc in the coaching department or we're not getting where we want to go.  I think he's a solid coach but I'm not sure if he's elite.  This season will tell us a lot.

22 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

His recruiting has been good not great.  He hasn't had any top 5 classes therefore he'd better be Tony Bennett, John Beilein, Bo Ryan, etc in the coaching department or we're not getting where we want to go.  I think he's a solid coach but I'm not sure if he's elite.  This season will tell us a lot.

First you were talking about Holtman and Mack. Archie outrecruited both in 2018 and at this point is ahead of both in 2020. We fell back a bit for 2019, mostly because IU only has 2 freshmen (both 4*’s, one being a McDonald’s AA) and the rankings tend to be based on quantity. 

If we land Garcia, Archie should secure his 2nd top 10 class in three years. 

Yeah, if you’re looking for Duke, UK and Kansas recruiting, you’re probably going to be disappointed. 

56 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

So what elite coach is out there that we could get that was available.  Unless you believed your pale Fpaugh about Donovan being in town to look at houses.

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

First you were talking about Holtman and Mack. Archie outrecruited both in 2018 and at this point is ahead of both in 2020. We fell back a bit for 2019, mostly because IU only has 2 freshmen (both 4*’s, one being a McDonald’s AA) and the rankings tend to be based on quantity. 

Yeah, if you’re looking for Duke, UK and Kansas recruiting, you’re probably going to be disappointed. 

He is not worth the argument because he has been ripping Archie since last year but he comes to this board acting like he likes him.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

To springboard off these comments, I’m starting to really like the way CAM’s building the team through recruiting. 

Getting length, scoring, size and pretty much all with fight, grit, defense and toughness, and a mix of top flight IN/area kids and strong 3-4 year players 

How well his system translates to wins and program strength mostly remains to be seen, but I like his recruiting, definitely looks like a good foundation with depth.

40 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

To springboard off these comments, I’m starting to really like the way CAM’s building the team through recruiting. 

Getting length, scoring, size and pretty much all with fight, grit, defense and toughness, and a mix of top flight IN/area kids and strong 3-4 year players 

How well his system translates to wins and program strength mostly remains to be seen, but I like his recruiting, definitely looks like a good foundation with depth.

Not to mention, unlike Davis and the later years of Crean, he is filling a complete roster! Not bringing on court a team that has a hole to fill because of a recruiting miss! Can you imagine a Crean team dealing with the injuries of last year?

11 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Calbert has been pure class the moment he walked on campus in 1989...he was the epitome of an Indiana basketball player on and off the court...i just wish they could have hung a banner during his time but that doesn't take away from his accomplishments during his time at IU

I thought about that..hanging a banner. I see how Alford is still held in such high esteem despite having a somewhat brash off the court personality...if Calbert and co had won a championship if Henderson hadn’t got hurt would he had leap frogged Alford in the casual IU fans esteem. Calbert has always been my favorite player and I wouldn’t see him differently but I wonder if he would exceeded Alford’s fame had their season ended differently.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

It’s almost impossible to have top 5 classes unless you are bringing in 4-5 kids a year and several 5* because it’s based on player ranking and number of kids. If we have only 2-3 in a class we could literally have all 5* kids and not be top 5. I don’t care about that. I care about player fit and development.

14 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Not to mention, unlike Davis and the later years of Crean, he is filling a complete roster! Not bringing on court a team that has a hole to fill because of a recruiting miss! Can you imagine a Crean team dealing with the injuries of last year?

If 2 guards get injured at the same time, this team is in big trouble.  Let's not get the cart before the horse.  

Back to HH...

Just watched the highlites of the HH scrimmage.  Thought that TJD had the advantage over Brunk on a few possessions, Al looked good, Race had a nice block and Jerome reminded me of Romeo going to the basket to score. And his turn around fade away bank was sweet. Brunk worked the boards well.

Nice to see Race out playing the 3 on a couple of possessions.

Maybe it was due to HH, but I thought the defense was week on both teams. But usually high lites are just of offensive plays anyway. (hope that's the case at least)

On 10/6/2019 at 7:32 PM, Drroogh said:

You mean when he made the tournament playing 6’6 Collin Hartman at the 5 for a good portion of the season due to injury, won the Big Ten after his 5 star shooting guard tore his ACL, or won 18 games after his lottery pick forward tore his ACL?  Lol. 

3 hours ago, DWB said:

Back to HH...

Just watched the highlites of the HH scrimmage.  Thought that TJD had the advantage over Brunk on a few possessions, Al looked good, Race had a nice block and Jerome reminded me of Romeo going to the basket to score. And his turn around fade away bank was sweet. Brunk worked the boards well.

Maybe it was due to HH, but I thought the defense was week on both teams. But usually high lites are just of offensive plays anyway. (hope that's the case at least)

After watching a replay of the the HH broadcast, here are my hot takes:

Thought Al’s shot looked really nice in the three point contest and the scrimmage.  Like others have said, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him starting at the 3 at the beginning of the year while Hunter gets his legs under him.  Once Hunter does get acclimated, it looks like he can provide some much needed scoring punch from the wing.  Anderson didn’t look very impressive... Still looked kind of uncomfortable on the floor.  Thought the scrimmage was too short and the defense too lax to tell much about the bigs.  TJD looked more athletic than I expected. Smith made that one mid-range jumper, but the shot still looked pretty ugly... Not counting on him to be making many jumpers this season.

Overall, I’m still keeping my expectations pretty low, but I think this team can win ~20 games or so and make the tournament if everything goes right.  There’s some talent and athleticism in the rotation... Gotta stay healthy.  Started to get a little concerned with the training staff last season, but hopefully they were just being cautious with minor injuries for HH this time around.

5 hours ago, DWB said:

Back to HH...

I’m fine with weak defense in scrimmage if it means no injuries.

6 hours ago, Inequality said:

I’m fine with weak defense in scrimmage if it means no injuries.

Weak defense is for Globetrotter games.I opposethese due to my feelings on winning culture. I believe in teams taking care of business first.Have the extracurricular fun later , and I dont mean hold actual practice in the morning and an HH that afternoon or eve .Lol 

Kids can get hurt getting out of bed and walking down stairs. Higher risk is partly perceived and part actual but is the acutal risk  so much lower going easy  that it negates the loss of a chance to play hard ..IMO it can be priceleas having another chance to work with your team in a more disciplined setting .The risk of subtracting from a team's chance to improve would outweigh the need to go soft to try to prevent injuries. Not a fan of the message it sends.

.I can make an argument for that too.Not sure how good of one - BUT - likely coming up one win short of an NCAA T berth comes to mind as one reason why I would want one more full go practice -especially for my Freshmen.

That is despite having went to a few Midnight Madnesa and Hoosier Hysterias.It was a good time.Kid had fun too , but kids can have fun watching actual basketball  . I would do away with them if left up to me.before allowing weak anything out of my team in a public appearance on the floor.

That is what autograph sessions are for ...I would rather see more open door  permitted chances for fans to see the team than events like these.Just prefer full go every time out on any floor out of any team.

I

On 10/6/2019 at 1:59 PM, IU Scott said:

So you would rather the fire alarm not work and people be in the arena when it is on fire.  I guess the Tennessee Titans are bush league when they caught their turf on fire with their pre game festivities.

Ha no of course not.  IU Athletics' game day experience team should have tested their pyro to make sure it would work without setting off the alarms.  And yes, the Tennessee Titans were bush league in catching their turf on fire.  Would not be surprised if someone lost their job over that one.   Peace and blessings! 

1 minute ago, Lizard said:

I

Ha no of course not.  IU Athletics' game day experience team should have tested their pyro to make sure it would work without setting off the alarms.  And yes, the Tennessee Titans were bush league in catching their turf on fire.  Would not be surprised if someone lost their job over that one.   Peace and blessings! 

The thin is that they have used the same stuff for years and never had a problem before

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They use to play but lately they have not and maybe some if it was that they might have went to the away football games.

Makes sense. However it was a bye week for our IUFB team.  Coulda, woulda, shoulda.  No one thought of it, I guess. 

Archived