Hoosier Hysteria..

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scrimmage breakdown from HH.

For all you Justin Smith fans, take a look at this video clip of the scrimmage from HH. Watch it once per coach's breakdown, and then watch it at least one more time and don't take your eyes off of Smith. IMO he only had 2 decent plays in 10 minutes...scored a jumper (which should have been a drive to the bucket, since they cleared out the entire lane for him, with an undersized guard on him), and a blocked shot that was ruled a goal tend.

Usually last man down the court, standing flat footed, with no attempt to rebound on a couple of possessions, and on, and on, and on. If he plays this lazy, Hunter is a shoe-in to replace him.

And before you all rain down on me, saying "it's only HH and doesn't mean anything"...well it meant something to Hunter, TJD, Brunk and others.

https://hoosiers.mn.co/posts/coachs-corner-hoosier-hysteria-breakdown

47 minutes ago, DWB said:

For all you Justin Smith fans, take a look at this video clip of the scrimmage from HH. Watch it once per coach's breakdown, and then watch it at least one more time and don't take your eyes off of Smith. IMO he only had 2 decent plays in 10 minutes...scored a jumper (which should have been a drive to the bucket, since they cleared out the entire lane for him, with an undersized guard on him), and a blocked shot that was ruled a goal tend.

Usually last man down the court, standing flat footed, with no attempt to rebound on a couple of possessions, and on, and on, and on. If he plays this lazy, Hunter is a shoe-in to replace him.

And before you all rain down on me, saying "it's only HH and doesn't mean anything"...well it meant something to Hunter, TJD, Brunk and others.

You’re an Assembly Call intern aren’t you?  Lol

8DE4A64B-BF6A-4DE8-B9F5-E0954808BB31.jpeg

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Amongst a few other things, this is Smith's biggest issue, his motor. I hate to always be criticizing him, but until he plays with more consistent effort and/or basketball IQ, then I don't think he'll be the player he's capable of being. There's a lot of talk about how great of a defender he is, but that's only partly true. During games sometimes last year I would just focus on Smith for a while, and he is one of IU's best on-ball defenders, but the story changes when he's off the ball. 

He's a really versatile defender and can be a hawk on the ball. He did a great job defending Lamar Stevens last year, but that's partly because Stevens has the ball a lot. The problem is that is only part of defense. He's a bad off the ball defender. Once his man gives up the ball he completely relaxes, stands straight up and down, and often gets himself turned around, etc. and loses his man. I saw numerous times last season where Smith would be defending a shooter and once the shooter gave up the ball he would completely relax and stand straight up and down. His guy would make a slight V cut, pop back out and hit an open 3. It happens all the time, and that's just one example. 

There are a lot of comparisons with Smith, especially due to his athleticism, players like Troy Williams, OG, and even Oladipo (not as much, but in the sense of the raw athlete), etc., but those guys all came in with high motors. I'd actually compare Smith more to Jeremy Hollowell at this point, an athletic, supposedly skilled player with tons and tons of potential, but hasn't yet learned what it means to play hard and with consistent effort. 

If he learns to play hard and play hard consistently, Smith can be a key, extremely valuable player on this team. IU could do some real damage with a Phinisee, Green, Hunter, Smith, TJD lineup. That lineup could cause real problems for the rest of the Big Ten, but only if Smith can raise his effort level and make it consistent. 

1 hour ago, DWB said:

I have never been a fan of Justin Smith. He has tremendous potential and athleticism. He might be a nice young man but in my opinion he is not a winner. I hope he proves me wrong but after two years I just don't see it happening. A leopard doesn't change his stripes. 

2 hours ago, DWB said:

No better motivation then your butt on the bench. That's something Miller didn't have last year at the 4. You had Smith, Anderson, and......ah..... yeah.

Let's see what happens when he gets 7 mins in a game early in the year. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Amongst a few other things, this is Smith's biggest issue, his motor. I hate to always be criticizing him, but until he plays with more consistent effort and/or basketball IQ, then I don't think he'll be the player he's capable of being. There's a lot of talk about how great of a defender he is, but that's only partly true. During games sometimes last year I would just focus on Smith for a while, and he is one of IU's best on-ball defenders, but the story changes when he's off the ball. 

He's a really versatile defender and can be a hawk on the ball. He did a great job defending Lamar Stevens last year, but that's partly because Stevens has the ball a lot. The problem is that is only part of defense. He's a bad off the ball defender. Once his man gives up the ball he completely relaxes, stands straight up and down, and often gets himself turned around, etc. and loses his man. I saw numerous times last season where Smith would be defending a shooter and once the shooter gave up the ball he would completely relax and stand straight up and down. His guy would make a slight V cut, pop back out and hit an open 3. It happens all the time, and that's just one example. 

There are a lot of comparisons with Smith, especially due to his athleticism, players like Troy Williams, OG, and even Oladipo (not as much, but in the sense of the raw athlete), etc., but those guys all came in with high motors. I'd actually compare Smith more to Jeremy Hollowell at this point, an athletic, supposedly skilled player with tons and tons of potential, but hasn't yet learned what it means to play hard and with consistent effort. 

If he learns to play hard and play hard consistently, Smith can be a key, extremely valuable player on this team. IU could do some real damage with a Phinisee, Green, Hunter, Smith, TJD lineup. That lineup could cause real problems for the rest of the Big Ten, but only if Smith can raise his effort level and make it consistent. 

I just don't get it because effort is the main thing you have have 100% control over in basketball. And I don't buy that he's getting lost - the guy is smart. Doesn't he have one of the highest, if not the highest, GPA on the team? Getting lost doesn't cause you to jog back in transition. Didn't CAM also recently say something along the lines that in practice Justin is the best defender within the constraints of the system? 

I said it in another thread, but Justin could be the difference between us being good and really good. The more minutes he can give with 100% effort, the better. That line up that @BGleas listed above could be great: mismatches, fast and long. I hope that the light goes on in Justin's head - I still think it can. 

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

I have never been a fan of Justin Smith. He has tremendous potential and athleticism. He might be a nice young man but in my opinion he is not a winner. I hope he proves me wrong but after two years I just don't see it happening. A leopard doesn't change his stripes. 

Image result for leopard with stripes

Or, maybe he does 😁

On 10/6/2019 at 6:28 PM, BGleas said:

First you were talking about Holtman and Mack. Archie outrecruited both in 2018 and at this point is ahead of both in 2020. We fell back a bit for 2019, mostly because IU only has 2 freshmen (both 4*’s, one being a McDonald’s AA) and the rankings tend to be based on quantity. 

If we land Garcia, Archie should secure his 2nd top 10 class in three years. 

Yeah, if you’re looking for Duke, UK and Kansas recruiting, you’re probably going to be disappointed. 

well, for starters, you are gong to have to pay big bucks to get the guys those schools are getting. hopefully, we aren't involved in that mess

29 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I just don't get it because effort is the main thing you have have 100% control over in basketball. And I don't buy that he's getting lost - the guy is smart. Doesn't he have one of the highest, if not the highest, GPA on the team? Getting lost doesn't cause you to jog back in transition. Didn't CAM also recently say something along the lines that in practice Justin is the best defender within the constraints of the system? 

I said it in another thread, but Justin could be the difference between us being good and really good. The more minutes he can give with 100% effort, the better. That line up that @BGleas listed above could be great: mismatches, fast and long. I hope that the light goes on in Justin's head - I still think it can. 

GPA doesn't necessarily translate to BBall IQ. They're kind of two separate things. But I spent decent time last year just watching him on defense and he gets lost a lot when he's off the ball. Maybe lost isn't the correct word, but he loses focus and relaxes, which causes him to get lost. It happened a lot last year. 

As far what Archie said about him, as 'super fans' I think we tend to take every little thing coaches say to the media as gospel. I'm not saying Archie was lying, I'm just saying these coaches talk to the media a TON, they answer numerous questions on a daily basis and not every single word is completely thought out, it's on the fly. Again, I'm not saying Archie didn't mean what he said about Justin, along with Phinisee, Smith is the best on-ball defender on the team. 

On 10/7/2019 at 8:01 PM, DWB said:

Back to HH...

Just watched the highlites of the HH scrimmage.  Thought that TJD had the advantage over Brunk on a few possessions, Al looked good, Race had a nice block and Jerome reminded me of Romeo going to the basket to score. And his turn around fade away bank was sweet. Brunk worked the boards well.

Nice to see Race out playing the 3 on a couple of possessions.

Maybe it was due to HH, but I thought the defense was week on both teams. But usually high lites are just of offensive plays anyway. (hope that's the case at least)

i think the defense was under orders to play half speed to make sure no one got injured. on the hunter drive you mentioned, smith just let him go by, but not before giving him a mild two-hand shove. that score is not worth noting. the turn-around was a travel in the old days as he changed his pivot foot. that is no longer illegal although i missed the announcement

On 10/8/2019 at 9:03 AM, jblaz13 said:

Weak defense is for Globetrotter games.I opposethese due to my feelings on winning culture. I believe in teams taking care of business first.Have the extracurricular fun later , and I dont mean hold actual practice in the morning and an HH that afternoon or eve .Lol 

Kids can get hurt getting out of bed and walking down stairs. Higher risk is partly perceived and part actual but is the acutal risk  so much lower going easy  that it negates the loss of a chance to play hard ..IMO it can be priceleas having another chance to work with your team in a more disciplined setting .The risk of subtracting from a team's chance to improve would outweigh the need to go soft to try to prevent injuries. Not a fan of the message it sends.

.I can make an argument for that too.Not sure how good of one - BUT - likely coming up one win short of an NCAA T berth comes to mind as one reason why I would want one more full go practice -especially for my Freshmen.

That is despite having went to a few Midnight Madnesa and Hoosier Hysterias.It was a good time.Kid had fun too , but kids can have fun watching actual basketball  . I would do away with them if left up to me.before allowing weak anything out of my team in a public appearance on the floor.

That is what autograph sessions are for ...I would rather see more open door  permitted chances for fans to see the team than events like these.Just prefer full go every time out on any floor out of any team.

another consideration is, you don't want trayce blowing out his knee while fighting for a rebound and being carted off the floor in front of 8,000 fans. that would kinda put a damper on the festivities

3 hours ago, DWB said:

why are you linking a pay site? any "coaches corner" that would analyze a fan oriented scrimmage where the players are under orders to play half speed and avoid contact is just plain stupid

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

i would never compare hollowell to smith. hollowell is not very athletic. he is more of a glider. smith is downright explosive. now while i did not focus on smith's off ball defense as you did, i will note that miller calls him one of the best defensive players in the country. that's good enough for me. i think justin is going to have a good year

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

but a ref does?

54 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

now that vijay transferred he does

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

GPA doesn't necessarily translate to BBall IQ. They're kind of two separate things. But I spent decent time last year just watching him on defense and he gets lost a lot when he's off the ball. Maybe lost isn't the correct word, but he loses focus and relaxes, which causes him to get lost. It happened a lot last year. 

As far what Archie said about him, as 'super fans' I think we tend to take every little thing coaches say to the media as gospel. I'm not saying Archie was lying, I'm just saying these coaches talk to the media a TON, they answer numerous questions on a daily basis and not every single word is completely thought out, it's on the fly. Again, I'm not saying Archie didn't mean what he said about Justin, along with Phinisee, Smith is the best on-ball defender on the team. 

miller didn't say that about any other player on the team so that's something

2 hours ago, coachv said:

miller didn't say that about any other player on the team so that's something

Below is the quote. Notice the qualifiers of 'when his mind is right and he's really focused'. You're a coach, you know what that means. When he's focused 100%, not relaxing and taking plays off, giving 100% effort, etc., etc. 

I've never disagreed that he can be a great defender, certainly one of the best in the Big Ten, if not the country, but he's got to do it consistently and not lose focus and effort at times, particularly when he's off the ball. 

"To me, he’s as capable a defender as there is in college. He’s as good as it gets in terms of talent and athleticism. When his mind is right and he’s really focused, to me he will be one of the better defenders in the Big 10."

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Below is the quote. Notice the qualifiers of 'when his mind is right and he's really focused'. You're a coach, you know what that means. When he's focused 100%, not relaxing and taking plays off, giving 100% effort, etc., etc. 

I've never disagreed that he's can be a great defender, certainly one of the best in the Big Ten, if not the country, but he's got to do it consistently and not lose focus and effort at times, particularly when he's off the ball. 

"To me, he’s as capable a defender as there is in college. He’s as good as it gets in terms of talent and athleticism. When his mind is right and he’s really focused, to me he will be one of the better defenders in the Big 10."

This is exactly right, and he’s sending a message to Justin — kid, you are extremely capable, bring your focus and effort and you will be a really good defender 

2 hours ago, coachv said:

i would never compare hollowell to smith. hollowell is not very athletic. he is more of a glider. smith is downright explosive. now while i did not focus on smith's off ball defense as you did, i will note that miller calls him one of the best defensive players in the country. that's good enough for me. i think justin is going to have a good year

I actually think the comparison fits very well, especially as opposed to Troy Williams or OG or some of the other 'athletes' we've had. Are Smith and Hollowell mirror images? Of course not. Hollowell was more skilled, where Smith is a better athlete. But both guys were/are 6'8"ish forwards with length that were sometimes forced to, or at least fans wanted them to, play more on the perimeter, where both really struggled. They both struggled with turnovers, handling and catching the ball in traffic and shooting, and both really struggled with motor and giving full and consistent effort. 

There's actually a lot of similarities. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This is exactly right, and he’s sending a message to Justin — kid, you are extremely capable, bring your focus and effort and you will be a really good defender 

It's an important message too. I know for me even coaching at the youth level, I'll take/play the less talented and less athletic kid that I know will give 100% and almost always be in the right spot, over the athlete that loses focus and doesn't always give 100%. 

As we've all said, if Smith can lock in and go hard on a consistent basis the sky is the limit for him. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I've never disagreed that he can be a great defender, certainly one of the best in the Big Ten, if not the country, but he's got to do it consistently and not lose focus and effort at times, particularly when he's off the ball. 

i think he added "in the country" or it was a different time. i have a lot of hope for smith to make a big jump this season. apparently i am the only one.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I actually think the comparison fits very well, especially as opposed to Troy Williams or OG or some of the other 'athletes' we've had. Are Smith and Hollowell mirror images? Of course not. Hollowell was more skilled, where Smith is a better athlete. But both guys were/are 6'8"ish forwards with length that were sometimes forced to, or at least fans wanted them to, play more on the perimeter, where both really struggled. They both struggled with turnovers, handling and catching the ball in traffic and shooting, and both really struggled with motor and giving full and consistent effort. 

There's actually a lot of similarities. 

never liked hollowell

Archived