Green, Durham Named IU BB Captains

IUFLA

22 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Head-scratching decision to me, but I think players and coaching staff know the best. 

It makes total sense to me.  On one hand you choose the player with the most 'captain-like' qualities (Al), and you pair him with the player who will have the most impact on how successful or not the team is (Devonte).  Maybe this is the little push Devonte needs to ensure that we get good Devonte more often, both on and off the court.  

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It makes total sense to me.  On one hand you choose the player with the most 'captain-like' qualities (Al), and you pair him with the player who will have the most impact on how successful or not the team is (Devonte).  Maybe this is the little push Devonte needs to ensure that we get good Devonte more often, both on and off the court.  

Agree, I'm not sure what is so 'head scratching' about it? Al makes a ton of sense and Devonte, while a bit of a wildcard on the court at times, is a senior guard who has been in the system for three years. You can certainly argue the hope that maybe Phinisee would be thrust into a leadership position to make a statement, but I'm not surprised by the two that were chosen. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why not give Green the benefit of the doubt that he might have changed and has turned around his attitude.

I sure hope you're right. The suspension seemed to get his attention. IF it carries forward to this year, we should be OK. Doesn't mean he'll never make a turnover again, just hope it's not a stupid one.

I thought he played very well the latter part of the season.

Evidently, the team thinks he can carry the load, both mentally & physically.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why not giver Green the benefit of the doubt that he might have changed and has turned around his attitude.  I was on the mountain top 2 years ago saying he should transfer because he was not playing as a team player.

Besides message boards and us body language experts, why does everybody conclude Devonte had a bad attitude?

He had a suspension, granted. But beyond that all I hear is message board conjecture.

I remember Juwan Morgan, who we all typically revere, saying he was debating transfer and it was Devinte that talked him off the ledge and encouraged him to finish what he started.

So we have a tangible example.of real leadership, and a bunch of "he looks disintereted".

I think we often times mistake in game judgement as a reflection of attitude or team buy in.

Surprising? Yes.  But almost pleasantly so.  Conventional approach would have been De'Ron/Devonte, since they are both seniors.  Other conventional logic would have included Rob, since he's pretty much established himself as the floor general. 

But, this is one thing that doesn't have to be conventional.  I've always said that Durham will never be the most talented guy on the floor.  But, he's versatile, tough and by all accounts, incredibly smart.  He's also someone that has fought through the questions of "Should he still be here?".  That's the kind of guy you follow into battle. 

Can't remember who I was listening to this weekend, or this morning, but the topic of team leadership came up and the person,ex-coach I believe, stated that leadership determined by the locker room is always more effective than leadership bestowed by the coaching staff.

We can conjecture all we want, but the important thing is that the team spoke. I hope Al and Devonte take seriously the confidence that the team has put in them, and their positions as leaders 

Congrats to both!  We know Green can score and be a playmaker, similar to how Troy Williams(you never knew what you would get on a nightly basis with him) but consistency will be key for Green.  If he can be more consistent(say 75% of the time) the team will be good.  If its closer to a 50/50 then we may struggle some. 

2 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Congrats to both!  We know Green can score and be a playmaker, similar to how Troy Williams(you never knew what you would get on a nightly basis with him) but consistency will be key for Green.  If he can be more consistent(say 75% of the time) the team will be good.  If its closer to a 50/50 then we may struggle some. 

Troy Williams isn't the worst person in the world to be compared to.  Say what you will about the guy, but he's kicked around the fringes of the NBA for 3 years now. 

Al - rise and grind, going to do whatever he can to make himself and the team better.  I like it.

Green - 4th year player that is (from what we can carry over from last season) our most dynamic offensive player and one of our better defenders.  Plus, it might come off as cocky, but he brings a little nasty, "Sheehey" if you will, to the floor.   I don't hate it.

It's sometimes wise to put the person you think is the least "bought in" to the team in a position of higher responsibility.

I hope Devonte embraces this role and the leadership needed. If he does, I think IU might surprise a lot of people.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's sometimes wise to put the person you think is the least "bought in" to the team in a position of higher responsibility.

I hope Devonte embraces this role and the leadership needed. If he does, I think IU might surprise a lot of people.

This is kind of where I'm at with it as well. On the surface it seems guys like RP, TJD, Hunter, Davis, Smith, Brunk seem to be behind the scenes guys and are perfectly content with just doing their thing. While maybe guys like Devonte especially need that little extra push...and sometimes a captain next to their name is that motivation. 

16 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Troy Williams isn't the worst person in the world to be compared to.  Say what you will about the guy, but he's kicked around the fringes of the NBA for 3 years now. 

Not saying he was a bad player whatsoever.  Obviously he's good enough to make it in the NBA but in college you wouldn't know which side of Troy you would get.  Towards the end of his career Troy was more consistent but early on it was hard to determine night in night out which version we would get. 

17 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Besides message boards and us body language experts, why does everybody conclude Devonte had a bad attitude?

He had a suspension, granted. But beyond that all I hear is message board conjecture.

I remember Juwan Morgan, who we all typically revere, saying he was debating transfer and it was Devinte that talked him off the ledge and encouraged him to finish what he started.

So we have a tangible example.of real leadership, and a bunch of "he looks disintereted".

I think we often times mistake in game judgement as a reflection of attitude or team buy in.

Exactly. 

Devonte is a leader to the players - and coach. Really it ends there. That’s how team leaders are selected.

And a senior guard. 

And the guy who talked Morgan into sticking. 

And one of the leading scorers. 

And suspension? So Yogi used a fake ID and had his own issues. That worked out alright. 

This isn’t a head scratcher, really, at all. Message board conjecture means zero.

What it should signal, to everyone, is that the team respects him, and sees him as a leader. 

Archived