All millennial team and all 2000’s and all 2010’s teams

With it being 2019, I had been planning on starting a thread on everyone’s favorite players since 2000.  Before some mathematician stops me to say that 2020 is technically the end of the decade of the 2010’s, but most people will understand my point.   Here are my initial thoughts.  

All 2000s

PG Tommy Coverdale 

SG Eric Gordon 

F  AJ Moye 

F Jared Jeffries 

C DJ White 

backups: G Earl Calloway.  Wing Rod Wilmont, G-Dane Fife, Wing Kyle Hornsby, F Jeff  Newton. F-C Kirk Haston, F Marco Killingsworth, G Marshall Strickland   

All 2010’s:

PG Yogi 

SG Romeo 

SF Victor 

F Anunoby 

C Zeller 

backups: C Thomas Bryant, G Phinisee, Wing Sheehey. Wing Troy Willians, F Watford. F Morgan, F Vonleh  G Rob Johnson

All millennial team

PG Tom Coverdale. 

SG Eric Gordon

wing Victor Oladipo

F Jared Jeffries 

C Cody Zeller

backups: G Yogi Ferrell, G Dane Fife, wing Romeo Langford, F Jeff Newton, F-C Kirk Haston, F DJ White, F AJ Moye, F Anunoby 

You are severely underrating Christian Watford.  He deserves to be ahead of Anunoby on both of your teams.  Far ahead if you are basing it with what they accomplished while at IU.  I can't agree with Coverdale over Yogi either.  

And, while I understand Bracey Wright was not the most beloved Hoosier of all time, it's hard to leave him off a list where you've included guys like Robert Vaden and Marshall Strickland.

2000-2019 1st Team
Ferrell-Oladipo-Jefferies-White-Zeller

2000-2019 2nd Team
Gordon-Langford-Watford-Vonleh-Bryant

2000-2019 3rd Team
Coverdale-Wright(yeah, I know...)-OG--Morgan-Haston

I don't care that Bracey and Vonleh were questionable/outright jackasses, from a pure talent standpoint, they could play. 

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

With it being 2019, I had been planning on starting a thread on everyone’s favorite players since 2000.  Before some mathematician stops me to say that 2020 is technically the end of the decade of the 2010’s, but most people will understand my point.   Here are my initial thoughts.  

All 2000s

PG Tommy Coverdale 

SG Eric Gordon 

F  AJ Moye 

F Jared Jeffries 

C DJ White 

backups: G Earl Calloway.  Wing Rod Wilmont, G-F Robert Vaden, Wing Kyle Hornsby, F Jeff  Newton. F-C Kirk Haston, F Marco Killingsworth, G Marshall Strickland   

All 2010’s:

PG Yogi 

SG Romeo 

SF Victor 

F Anunoby 

C Zeller 

backups: C Thomas Bryant, G Phinisee, Wing Sheehey. Wing Troy Willians, F Watford. F Morgan, F Vonleh  G Rob Johnson

All millennial team

PG Tom Coverdale. 

SG Eric Gordon

wing Victor Oladipo

F Jared Jeffries 

C Cody Zeller

backups: G Yogi Ferrell, G Dane Fife, wing Romeo Langford, F Jeff Newton, F-C Kirk Haston, F DJ White, F AJ Moye, F Anunoby 

Millenium:

PG: Yogi
SG: Gordon
Wing: VO
Forward: Jared Jeffries
Center: Cody

*chose Yogi over Coverdale because he's a better shooter and creator. Him and EJ in the back court would just be scary and it'd stretch out defenses.
*hard decision, but went with JJ over DJ. I think JJ is more mobile and better defensively. Add in Cody and this line up would RUN all day long. 

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Millenium:

*chose Yogi over Coverdale because he's a better shooter and creator. Him and EJ in the back court would just be scary and it'd stretch out defenses.
*hard decision, but went with JJ over DJ. I think JJ is more mobile and better defensively. Add in Cody and this line up would RUN all day long. 

I would choose Yogi over Coverdale because his stats are significantly better.  It truly isn't even that close.  Yogi leads in literally every statistical category.  

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kevin-ferrell-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tom-coverdale-1.html

31 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Millenium:

He bulked up over his years here, but DJ could move.  I remember seeing him as a freshman, and he was more of a wiry high-flyer.  JJ probably still tops him, but that's a closer debate than you think.

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

He bulked up over his years here, but DJ could move.  I remember seeing him as a freshman, and he was more of a wiry high-flyer.  JJ probably still tops him, but that's a closer debate than you think.

No doubt. It was mainly a tough decision because DJ is definitely a top 3 all-time favorite Hoosier for me because of the passion he played with.

But what I meant by mobile is that JJ could play facing the basket, with his back to the basket and take bigger guys off the dribble. Whereas DJ was more of a back to the basket/pick and roll/dunk on your face kinda player. And while DJ could pop out for a good jumper, JJ had way more range. I had to look this up to make sure my memory wasn't fading, but JJ made 27 3's his sophomore year. DJ only attempted 3 his whole career - haha. (This actually should be applauded - you'd think our big men today should take note of this. If you can't make 3's DON'T attempt them!)

I also think JJ's style of play also fit's today's game better. 

I like Yogi alot and think he was really good.  However, if I had to win a must-win game tomorrow, I'm riding with Tom Coverdale.  He was a very good player who had a knack for making winning plays.  Most importantly, he had an attitude, toughness, and nastiness that this program has lacked.  He sets the tempo and there are things he was doing outside stats.   I am hoping some of the new recruits will be more in his mold.  I'd take Coverdale as my point guard, any time and be ecstatic.  That's not meant to take anything away from Yogi who was on two B1G championship teams.  

Christian Watford was a very good player and, again, I am not knocking him, but I'd see Anunoby as the better two-way player. OG could just intimidate people with his athleticism.  OG was hurt and didn't play many games, so if people want to ding him for that, I would understand.

There's no way Bracey Wright would make my team.  I don't know that we have had a kid in the past 45 years who made more losing plays than he did.  Whether it was taking an ill advised shot or not making a stop, he was an endless supply of losing plays.   I don't buy into stats as the only metric.  I want a guy who makes the right plays that lead to wins.  Bracey was the opposite of that.

To me this is an interesting topic because no one opinion is better than another.  This is purely subjective, and it's interesting to see the takes of others.  Reasonable minds can differ.  

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Christian Watford was a very good player and, again, I am not knocking him, but I'd see Anunoby as the better two-way player. OG could just intimidate people with his athleticism.  OG was hurt and didn't play many games, so if people want to ding him for that, I would understand. 

I think that if OG hadn't been injured, this would be an even more interesting debate.  I think if he'd have come back for another year, there wouldn't be a debate.  But, we only really got to see flashes of his potential.  In terms of potential, absolutely no doubt.  But, in terms of on-court accomplishments, I think the edge is Watford. 

OG came in very raw and was a spot player his freshman year until late in the year.  I think he was poised to blow up his sophomore year, but injuries happen.  Watford was a workhorse from day one.  He played more minutes his freshman year than OG did his entire career at IU.  Finished either first or second on the team in both scoring and rebounding for 4 years, with one exception (some dude named Oladipo blew the hell up his senior year and Watford finished 3rd in scoring). 

OG did have some spectacular moments.  Watford wasn't exactly a slouch in that department either. 

Now, are some of Watford's statistics the result of the era he played in? Of course.  He played more as a freshman and sophomore because there wasn't anyone else.  But, his stats didn't drop off when we put Cody next to him. 

I get what you're saying about OG having that presence and being a better two way player.  The reason I can't put him above Watford is that he just wasn't on the court as much.

12 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

All 2000s

PG Tommy Coverdale 

SG Eric Gordon 

F  AJ Moye 

F Jared Jeffries 

C DJ White 

backups: G Earl Calloway.  Wing Rod Wilmont, G-F Robert Vaden, Wing Kyle Hornsby, F Jeff  Newton. F-C Kirk Haston, F Marco Killingsworth, G Marshall Strickland   

All 2010’s:

PG Yogi 

SG Romeo 

SF Victor 

F Anunoby 

C Zeller 

All millennial team

PG Tom Coverdale. 

SG Eric Gordon

wing Victor Oladipo

F Jared Jeffries 

C Cody Zeller

All 2000's 1st Team:

Oladipo, Gordon, Langford, Jeffries, Zeller.

Those voting for Moye are voting with their heart and not their head. Love AJ and his passion, but there are a lot more talented players that have been through the program than him.

Bob, you mention Fife on your all Millenial team but not on your 2000's team??? Good list of former players and a good discussion topic.

Christian Watford is the #10 all time leading scorer in IU history (see link below).  And, I believe he may also be in the Top 10 in career rebounding.  There is also the matter of him hitting the 2nd biggest shot in IU basketball history as well.  With that resume', he deserves a 'starting' spot on the all decade team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Hoosiers_men's_basketball

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't agree at all that OG was a better two way player. Watford by his senior year was a very good two way player; when did OG ever show he was a good offensive threat? He 

Agree.

The mystique that is OG Onunoby amongst Hoosier Nation is puzzling to me.

As a freshman, he only played spottily. Had a few moments, more on the defensive end than anything else. Because of the talent surrounding him the focus was never on him. 

Sophomore  year, and much more was expected of him. Unfortunately, he got hurt early on and his season, and eventually his career, was over at IU. 

OG really didn’t accomplish much in college. Don’t get me wrong, I am super happy for him, and the success he’s had as a professional. I just don’t see that his tenure at IU was anything special. He had a few decent games but not to the extent where he should be held up as one of the best IU players over the last 20 years 

On 10/2/2019 at 5:42 PM, 5fouls said:

Christian Watford is the #10 all time leading scorer in IU history (see link below).  And, I believe he may also be in the Top 10 in career rebounding.  There is also the matter of him hitting the 2nd biggest shot in IU basketball history as well.  With that resume', he deserves a 'starting' spot on the all decade team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Hoosiers_men's_basketball

If you consider him in the 00 decade, I'd buy that. Gordon-Oladipo-Watford-Jeffries-White. Admittedly, he's the only one without an AA season or some B10 hardware, but he's also the only one with an Espy.

Now, if you're talking the 00-19 span, then the debate gets interesting, because Cody enters the conversation for first team status among front court players. And if you think about it....who had more of an impact on IU basketball, Watford or Zeller. That's a tough one. Zeller was B10 freshman of the year, 1st team B10 and 2nd team AA. Watford finished top 10 in scoring (and close if not in the top 10 in rebounding too, if memory serves), and has the most iconic moment in the program since the Davis era. Cody was the watershed recruit. Watford was a true 4 year workhorse.

That's a true coin flip. And there's really no wrong answer.

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree.

As a freshman, he only played spottily. Had a few moments, more on the defensive end than anything else. Because of the talent surrounding him the focus was never on him. 

Sophomore  year, and much more was expected of him. Unfortunately, he got hurt early on and his season, and eventually his career, was over at IU. 

OG really didn’t accomplish much in college. Don’t get me wrong, I am super happy for him, and the success he’s had as a professional. I just don’t see that his tenure at IU was anything special. He had a few decent games but not to the extent where he should be held up as one of the best IU players over the last 20 years 

Agree. Although I think he's in the conversation for top 15-20 of the last 20 years, but not top 5. Those flashes we saw really were a sign of things to come. But I agree, he wasn't here long enough to be in the top 5 conversation.

13 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree.

Spot on. I like OG, I appreciate what he did here and am a fan of his but the only season he played the entire season he wasn't anything more than a roleplayer. 

Juwan Morgan compared to Christian Watford would be a much better discussion, IMO. 

Archived