What kind of non traditional food do you like for...

milehiiu

Kolaches...

Although it is pretty much a breakfast staple here in Texas, but I'd never heard of them before I moved here...

Word is, Kolaches are a Czech pastry which is normally filled with fruit...Texans said to hell with that, and stuffed it with smoked sausage, cheddar cheese, and jalapenos...Among other things...Shipley's donuts make the best I've tasted...

Screenshot_20191002-181728_Chrome.jpg

Edited by IUFLA

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Kolaches...

Although it is pretty much a breakfast staple here in Texas, but I'd never heard of them before I moved here...

Word is, Kolaches are a Czech pastry which is normally filled with fruit...Texans said to hell with that, and stuffed it with smoked sausage, cheddar cheese, and jalapenos...Among other things...Shipley's donuts make the best I've tasted...

Screenshot_20191002-181728_Chrome.jpg

From the sounds of it, I like the Texas version better Also sounds like a winner for breakfast.

So the family explored Acadia National Park this summer, and one of the MUST DO things to do, was have a Popover at the Jordan Pond House resteraunt! Have to say it was not a disappointment!!!!!! Although, I was surprised they served strawberry jam, when everything about Maine is blueberry! You need to try the blueberry everything in Maine! Just as important as trying Lobsta Rolls In BAH HAbR Maine! I hope I got the Maine accent right! 

Edited by Drroogh

Even I had to look that one up!

Well played!!

But do you even know what Blini are? 😄

Do you know that while Blini is considered somewhat of a deli case in Russia, it is also a reasonable breakfast in Russia as long as you leave out the expensive caviar?  Flying fish eggs is the usual, not the outrageously expensive black caviar!   

Edited by Drroogh

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

As with anything Russian, the level of excitement is directly related to the amount of Vodka.

Even the Russians enjoy their breakfast without  vodka! They do tend to put their cold cuts and cheese on their Blini!! Maybe, it is their hair of the dog!!

Just now, Drroogh said:

Even the Russians enjoy their breakfast without  vodka! They do tend to put their cold cuts and cheese on their Blini!! Maybe, it is their hair of the dog!!

Basic Ruski breakfast: black bread, butter, sausage, tea. Nip of vodka optional, but not discouraged.

Hey, it's winter there for 10 months. Gotta keep warm. 😉

• Haha 1

Ate hundreds of breakfasts in Russia, your description is not that far off! Vodka, however has never been on the morning menu!! Typically, a selection of cold cuts, cheese and bread or on a higher scale breakfast Blini cold cuts, cheese and caviar! Russians do on the norm live a life much LESS than the typical American!

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

Ate hundreds of breakfasts in Russia, your description is not that far off! Vodka, however has never been on the morning menu!! Typically, a selection of cold cuts, cheese and bread or on a higher scale breakfast Blini cold cuts, cheese and caviar! Russians do on the norm live a life much LESS than the typical American!

Had grandparents that were ethnic Lithuanian. No stranger to Baltic/eastern Russian culture here.

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Had grandparents that were ethnic Lithuanian. No stranger to Baltic/eastern Russian culture here.

While I understand the reasons, I've met several people from different parts of the former Soviet Union that HATE Russia! Again, I understand their reason! That being said, my experience on a personal level, the Russian people are worthy of our friendship! Wouldn't that change the world!!

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

People should also explore Pasties, an Upper Peninsula food of Michigan! Miners would take them into the mines, and they would still be warm when breakfast came. Lot's of different recipes!! 

Hmmm.  In some parts of the country, a pastie is something a stripper places over her nipples.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Drroogh said:

People should also explore Pasties, an Upper Peninsula food of Michigan! Miners would take them into the mines, and they would still be warm when breakfast came. Lot's of different recipes!! 

I watched a YouTube show called Food Trippin with Molly about these tasty little snacks..made my mouth water wanting to try one.

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I have had them in Curtis, Michigan.  We took them out ice fishing with us.

To answer original question for me it's actually any leftover meat. I try to eat mostly carb free so with that comes plenty of meat. I think sometimes I should have been a mountain man like Jeremiah Johnson because I have no problem with my morning coffee grabbing a leftover turkey burger or chicken and eat that each morning. I guess that would qualify as nontraditional.