Sports Illustrated....

19 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Just saw this. Looks like SI has had half of their staff eliminated from this iconic sports magazine. What will happen to the swimsuit issue?????????????

https://wowway.net/news/read/article/deadline-sports_illustrated_makes_massive_staff_cuts_four_m-rpenskemc/category/news

Does anybody read magazines anymore?

I was just reading about this.  I have thought for a long time that SI dropped the ball with its internet content/delivery.  I can’t even remember the last time I went to their site. I used to get the magazine and read every article. SI, like so many other magazines, has never been able to transition to the digital world. 

I  cancelled my subscription, in the early 90’s, after they published an article about Coach Knight that was more than their normal hack job on him, it was provably false.

I was a subscriber from 1984 until a couple of years ago. I used to read it cover to cover.  More recently, it got to the point that there was maybe 1 article a month that would catch my eye and I would read.  I still love to read, and prefer to be holding something when I'm doing so, but I simply can't wait that long for my sports news.

Edit:  I still have every single issue from when I was a subscriber.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I was a subscriber from 1984 until a couple of years ago. I used to read it cover to cover.  More recently, it got to the point that there was maybe 1 article a month that would catch my eye and I would read.  I still love to read, and prefer to be holding something when I'm doing so, but I simply can't wait that long for my sports news.

Edit:  I still have every single issue from when I was a subscriber.

Sports Illustrated Price Guide Prices Paid Values 1954-2005

On 10/4/2019 at 10:42 AM, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Just saw this. Looks like SI has had half of their staff eliminated from this iconic sports magazine. What will happen to the swimsuit issue?????????????

https://wowway.net/news/read/article/deadline-sports_illustrated_makes_massive_staff_cuts_four_m-rpenskemc/category/news

Maybe they'll eliminate half of the swimsuits :coffee:

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Quick question. Is Heckman the same guy at Sports Illustrated that pretty much ran Scout into the ground? 

Yes.  Here's a story from awhile back, that specifies that.  Near the bottom of the story :

TheMaven may not reveal Sports Illustrated plans for another 90 days

I have been an SI subscriber for four decades or longer.  When Rick Reilly left SI for ESPN, it was like a punch to the stomach for me. As the very first thing I would do would read the last page, where his excellent work was published.

SI, in my opinion has continued to go down hill ever since.  I used to re-up for three years. But for the past several years, only one year at a time. While I ponder to renew.  Eventually, SI comes up with a dirt cheap offer, and I give in.  Not sure I will continue, even at a low rate, when my subscription comes up for renewal next time.

One more thing. For years, my SI arrived like clockwork every Wednesday.  The past several years, it appears in my mail box on either Thursday or Friday.  And my copy this week did not make my mailbox til Saturday.  At first I thought that was the fault of the post office. Now I am thinking cutbacks are impacting the SI mail room.  Content continues to decline. And getting information a week and a half late, only reinforces my leaning on tv and the internet for my sport news. 

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Had not read one in years but yesterday Ayden had surgery and I read one cover to cover and there was a great article on how the Astros were able to get Greinke at the deadline.  Very informative.  Wish the Reds would take a page or a 100 out of the Astros book

Hope your son is doing ok...

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Had not read one in years but yesterday Ayden had surgery and I read one cover to cover and there was a great article on how the Astros were able to get Greinke at the deadline.  Very informative.  Wish the Reds would take a page or a 100 out of the Astros book

Yankee fan, and I also agree. I was pretty upset when Cashman did nothing to bolster their pitching. I believe this is the Yanks weak spot. Now that CC will be gone, I'm hoping they will do something during the off-season to address it.

On 10/4/2019 at 10:42 AM, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Who Just saw this. Looks like SI has had half of their staff eliminated from this iconic sports magazine. What will happen to the swimsuit issue?????????????

Who of my age can forget the Cheryl Tiegs fishnet SI picture! 

Have to say though, my prayers are with you and Ayden, Billingsley! 

11 hours ago, jefftheref said:

I pray for a speedy recovery for Ayden. He is one tough young man. 

13 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Who of my age can forget the Cheryl Tiegs fishnet SI picture! 

Have to say though, my prayers are with you and Ayden, Billingsley! 

Thank you guys. He is doing well. Hates that his Fall break is ruined. He had a really rough night the first night. Mom cant handle blood and he had some serious bleeding and I was afraid she was gonna pass out and I would he doctoring both of them. Thank you for continued prayers for my little boy.

Archived