brad stevens has already revamped romeo's shot

coachv

watched a video yesterday of langford working on his shot with celtics coaches. it is completely different. they have eliminated the awful technique he had of bringing the ball back behind his head and hinging at the elbow to release the shot, a la watford. it is much more compact now, a quick release where he keeps the ball above the forehead. looks beautiful. the other two players who were shooting with romeo had identical technique.

i used to harp on that being the reason for his poor shooting last season when i posted at the hoosier, this before we knew about his ligament injury. i was banned from the hoosier for being too negative and for being a purdue troll.

i wonder why coach miller did not fix romeo's shot? it was painfully obvious to me what that his form needed work. i know a lot of fans like to say by the time a player gets to college it's too late to change his stroke. i never believed in that. evidently, neither does stevens.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, coachv said:

watched a video yesterday of langford working on his shot with celtics coaches. it is completely different. they have eliminated the awful technique he had of bringing the ball back behind his head and hinging at the elbow to release the shot, a la watford. it is much more compact now, a quick release where he keeps the ball above the forehead. looks beautiful. the other two players who were shooting with romeo had identical technique.

i used to harp on that being the reason for his poor shooting last season when i posted at the hoosier, this before we knew about his ligament injury. i was banned from the hoosier for being too negative and for being a purdue troll.

i wonder why coach miller did not fix romeo's shot? it was painfully obvious to me what that his form needed work. i know a lot of fans like to say by the time a player gets to college it's too late to change his stroke. i never believed in that. evidently, neither does stevens.

Doing it practice means nothing.

lets see how he shoots in games.....

20 minutes ago, coachv said:

F11E408A-951D-4120-886F-F74207201462.jpeg

5EFFE34E-229D-425B-A192-7133242C55D2.jpeg

Video of the reworked jump shot.  I noticed that the form looked different as well, but it still doesn’t look all that great for an NBA player in an empty gym. 

In regard to the coaching staff’s approach to working on the players’ shots, I always think back to an interview Archie did after last season ended where someone asked him a question about how to improve the team’s shooting.  He got pretty pissed off and said something to the effect of “they just need to shoot more in practice.”  Didn’t think that was the best answer, but we’ll see if the shooting numbers come around a bit this season.

1 hour ago, coachv said:

So the Celtics are altering his mechanics after his thumb surgery. Coming to IU, Romeo was clear that he was there for one year. Then he tore a thumb ligament. Out of all the things the coaches could prioritize to utilize Romeo under that scenario, changing his shot seems like high risk-low payoff. Plus, should a player alter his shot, while his shooting hand is injured?

13 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

So the Celtics are altering his mechanics after his thumb surgery. Coming to IU, Romeo was clear that he was there for one year. Then he tore a thumb ligament. Out of all the things the coaches could prioritize to utilize Romeo under that scenario, changing his shot seems like high risk-low payoff. Plus, should a player alter his shot, while his shooting hand is injured?

Pretty much my thoughts. When the question was asked.  Why work on altering a shot, on a AOD.  And then especially after an injury.  For a kid, who. bless his heart, continued to play despite his injury.

Now, on the other hand.  Surgery has been completed.  And Romeo has more than one year, to play in the NBA.  So, why not work on improving his shot ?

All this makes sense to me.

2 hours ago, coachv said:

i wonder why coach miller did not fix romeo's shot?

You don't alter the mechanics of a physical motion if the person performing the motion isn't at least close to 100%.  His existing mechanics (flawed as they may be) aren't fully effective, and now on top of trying to compensate for an injury, you're going to alter it more? A) That runs the risk of learning the mechanics of the new shot incorrectly and B) In the short term, is going to make him even worse. 

Agreed. You don't alter the shot of a OAD. That's a sure fire way to not land the kid. You want to see him land at Kansas or Vanderbilt...tell him the first thing I'm going to do is change your shot of one of the most prolific scorer in state history. Does it mean he doesn't need work...sure and he is getting it. He is getting paid to change his shot. You want to change his shot of a sure fire OAD and screw up his draft status...be my guest but that would have been the dumbest thing he could have done. I'm also not going to even get into the fact that you don't even have the kid for a whole offseason when they come in as freshmen nor do you have the time and resources of people to work on every kids shot. I'm glad Archie left Romeo alone. Who knows how messed up you could have done the kid. I mean look at Fultz....went to Philly after an incredible freshman year at Washington and all they did was screw up the kids head trying to change his shot and now he might end up the worst #1 bust in NBA history! You have to be very very careful with that stuff.

2 hours ago, CrimsonV said:

Forever a king

40B9465B-01E4-4BEC-BFC6-4D824FA192FD.jpeg

I've said it before.  I know they lost to Vandy in the SEC tourney that season, but I fully believe that if Watford had not made that shot, and UK is playing for an undefeated season, they beat Vandy and the Cats would have the most recent undefeated season in college basketball.  I don't think a lot of IU fans understand that.  That makes what is already a very big shot, and absolutely huge one.  

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I've said it before.  I know they lost to Vandy in the SEC tourney that season, but I fully believe that if Watford had not made that shot, and UK is playing for an undefeated season, they beat Vandy and the Cats would have the most recent undefeated season in college basketball.  I don't think a lot of IU fans understand that.  That makes what is already a very big shot, and absolutely huge one.  

If you watch replays of that Vandy/UK SEC final, UK had a major case of give-a-$#!+-itis.  The only thing that kept them from caring? The fact they already had one loss.

Our S16 loss was the most points they gave up all year: 90.  2nd highest was 74.  Oh, and in case it isn't seared into your memory (and why isn't it?), we scored 73 the first time against them. 

That team was close.  Looking back, they were closer than 2012-13. 

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah but then you couldn't try to slam / criticize the coach.

😑

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. You don't alter the shot of a OAD. That's a sure fire way to not land the kid. You want to see him land at Kansas or Vanderbilt...tell him the first thing I'm going to do is change your shot of one of the most prolific scorer in state history. Does it mean he doesn't need work...sure and he is getting it. He is getting paid to change his shot. You want to change his shot of a sure fire OAD and screw up his draft status...be my guest but that would have been the dumbest thing he could have done. I'm also not going to even get into the fact that you don't even have the kid for a whole offseason when they come in as freshmen nor do you have the time and resources of people to work on every kids shot. I'm glad Archie left Romeo alone. Who knows how messed up you could have done the kid. I mean look at Fultz....went to Philly after an incredible freshman year at Washington and all they did was screw up the kids head trying to change his shot and now he might end up the worst #1 bust in NBA history! You have to be very very careful with that stuff.

i worked on every kids shot by myself, no other resources, for decades. of course, i had no one-and-dones

4 hours ago, coachv said:

i worked on every kids shot by myself, no other resources, for decades. of course, i had no one-and-dones

I've seen possibly more kid's head screwed up by changing their shot then improved. Romeo would have been perfectly fine had he not injured his hand. Time will tell if he improves his shot from changing it. Honestly, what I saw from Boston it wasn't major changes so I think just getting healthy will help the most. Generally a kid that has played as much basketball as he has you only want to make slight tweeks with them...the muscle memory is too strong to do a ton of changes on them. You get them thinking and you ruin their confidence and rhythm. Hey if you are as good as you seem to imply maybe you should send IU a shooting tape of all the kids you've fixed and maybe they will hire you. We still have Justin Smith that could use your help.

16 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

The fact that he was an effective college forward, but a classic 'tweener did more.  Wasn't quick enough to play 3 in the NBA, didn't have the size for the 4. 

my opinion is he had a shot at the nba but wasn't properly trained by crean and his staff, who had no idea how to coach bigs

5 minutes ago, coachv said:

my opinion is he had a shot at the nba but wasn't properly trained by crean and his staff, who had no idea how to coach bigs

We still talking Watford here?  Lets not kid ourselves.  He worked his butt off, improved every year.  Some wrote him off after freshman/sophomore seasons.  Even played the some before Cody got here.  Improved every year.  Remember he could barely dunk.  That's not NBA athleticism and no one could make that happen.  

3 hours ago, coachv said:

Wat’s tremendous improvement from his frost to senior seasons was huge, and undeniable. Your opinion must have been formed without watching. From a guy who couldn’t get to the rim, stuffed repeatedly (to the point where one idiot poster dubbed him “cookies”), with no lateral movement, to the guy guarding the other teams’ best Players including points, a scoring machine, and an all around outstanding player not to mention the guy who killed UK. Wat’s improvements were obvious 

Archived