let's make some changes to hoosier hysteria

coachv

let's see. since indiana fans are supposedly more knowledgeable than your average bear, we could start with some non-contact drills where you could go 100% without much chance of injury. ball handling, even for bigs, where they can show off their handles. i think fans might enjoy that. 3 and 5 man full court weaves are a nice warmup and could be finished with creative dunks. run a few vanilla sets. shooting drills, like baseline catch and shoot curls might be cool. a few games of pig might get the fans involved. a couple of simultaneous games of 3 on 3 make 'em, take 'em. they can play the same half defense they played in the scrimmage. a couple games of knockout is always a hoot. my players always enjoyed full court relay races to break up the doldrums. 2 teams. first single line sprint dribble, pull up 3's. get your own rebound, sprint dribble back, pull up 3. get your own rebound, pass to the next guy in your line and off he goes. first team to make 10 baskets wins. then 4 lines, 2 for each team. one to lead break, teammate fills lane. dribbler passes to his wing for pull up 3 (maybe 15-18' for bigs). own rebound and back. wing gets in dribbler line and dribbler goes to wing. first to 10. losing team runs a suicide. finish with full court scrimmage. no dunk or 3 point contest. NO HIPPITY HOP MUSIC. and get off my lawn.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, coachv said:

let's see. since indiana fans are supposedly more knowledgeable than your average bear, we could start with some non-contact drills where you could go 100% without much chance of injury. ball handling, even for bigs, where they can show off their handles. i think fans might enjoy that. 3 and 5 man full court weaves are a nice warmup and could be finished with creative dunks. run a few vanilla sets. shooting drills, like baseline catch and shoot curls might be cool. a few games of pig might get the fans involved. a couple of simultaneous games of 3 on 3 make 'em, take 'em. they can play the same half defense they played in the scrimmage. a couple games of knockout is always a hoot. my players always enjoyed full court relay races to break up the doldrums. 2 teams. first single line sprint dribble, pull up 3's. get your own rebound, sprint dribble back, pull up 3. get your own rebound, pass to the next guy in your line and off he goes. first team to make 10 baskets wins. then 4 lines, 2 for each team. one to lead break, teammate fills lane. dribbler passes to his wing for pull up 3 (maybe 15-18' for bigs). own rebound and back. wing gets in dribbler line and dribbler goes to wing. first to 10. losing team runs a suicide. finish with full court scrimmage. no dunk or 3 point contest. NO HIPPITY HOP MUSIC. and get off my lawn.

Well that was what it use to be like when RMK was here and the practice was actually at midnight.  The real big basketball guys  like us might like it but most that go to Hoosier Hysteria would leave after 20 minutes. How do you explain a lot of people left before the scrimmage when all of the other activities were over.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well that was what it use to be like when RMK was here and the practice was actually at midnight.  The real big basketball guys  like us might like it but most that go to Hoosier Hysteria would leave after 20 minutes. How do you explain a lot of people left before the scrimmage when all of the other activities were over.

Fair statement...but I still want to see them have a single elimination game of pig for all the players on the roster. The skills stuff...yeah, not so much.  I think all but a few hundred hard core fans would lose interest and leave.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Seriously. If you want to make changes to HH.  Give IU a call. 

I have called in the past. And they appreciate fan input.  Especially if one is a graduate.

i don't believe for a second that they care one bit what i have to say. i don't even care about what i have to say most of the time

3 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

It needs to be short and sweet. Keep the event flowing and the excitement up... Recruits come to hang out and have a good time, not watch ball handling drills.  

sure, let them watch a bunch of routine dunks getting scored with all 10's and a scrimmage with less defense than the last game of the day of an aau summer league game. me? i'd rather glean what i could for watching how miller's staff instruct the players. you are proof that indiana fans are no more knowledgeable about the game than any other fans and prefer to follow the bouncing ball, no offense. i think in honor of indiana's great tradition of basketball, hoosier hysteria should be closer to a regular practice that fans are allowed to attend. not some pimped out circus led mc'd by the likes of snoop dog, but i'm old that way

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

i think indiana fans need to stop pretending to be a special breed of basketball fan. let's just hand out only10 scorecards upon entrance and let the dunkng begin!

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Fair statement...but I still want to see them have a single elimination game of pig for all the players on the roster. The skills stuff...yeah, not so much.  I think all but a few hundred hard core fans would lose interest and leave.

and what's the downside of them leaving?

6 hours ago, coachv said:

Kelvin Sampson did this at IU for the event.  He even had a take a charge drill.

3 hours ago, coachv said:

. you are proof that indiana fans are no more knowledgeable about the game than any other fans and prefer to follow the bouncing ball, no offense.

and what's the downside of them leaving?

i think indiana fans need to stop pretending to be a special breed of basketball fan. let's just hand out only10 scorecards upon entrance and let the dunkng begin!

Don’t you have a date with a blender?

8 hours ago, coachv said:

sure, let them watch a bunch of routine dunks getting scored with all 10's and a scrimmage with less defense than the last game of the day of an aau summer league game. me? i'd rather glean what i could for watching how miller's staff instruct the players. you are proof that indiana fans are no more knowledgeable about the game than any other fans and prefer to follow the bouncing ball, no offense. i think in honor of indiana's great tradition of basketball, hoosier hysteria should be closer to a regular practice that fans are allowed to attend. not some pimped out circus led mc'd by the likes of snoop dog, but i'm old that way

None taken!  Maybe im wrong but dont the recruits get to sit through practice and get some court time with the players?? I've set through a ton of practices as a parent, shiz gets pretty boring after a bit.  I dont think putting on a snooze fest, in front of your prized recruits is the brightest thing to do. 

I haven't watched any of the HH videos, other than the short scrimmage clip. Just my opinion, but this event isn't meant for us. We're the hardcore fans that over analyze everything, follow everything, breakdown X's and O's, etc.

Midnight Madness, Hoosier Hysteria, whatever you want to call it, isn't meant for analyzing the improvements in shooting form or seeing if we'll be setting more off-ball screens, etc. It's meant to fire up the casual fan, get the students excited for the season and put on a show for recruits. It's not meant for the 1% of the fan base to see which ball handling drills the coach is emphasizing this season to limit turnovers. 

If I remember correctly, they have a couple open practices/scrimmages later on for the basketball nerds like us. 

In my opinion, you go all in on the entertainment for this event. I'm not saying you get Snoop Dog, but I am saying you make it a show. You make it like the NBA All-Star Saturday night. Again, I haven't watched the clips so I'm not sure why the Skills Competition didn't work, but I do know at NBA All-Star Weekend the skills comp is one of the best to watch. Maybe this year the skills comp for IU lost some luster because Green and Phinisee were out. I'd bet it would be pretty cool if they both were healthy and active participants, probably the same of the 3pt comp. 

The NBA also does a pretty cool shooting competition where they have teams of 3 that are comprised of a current NBA player, a current WNBA player and a legend. This could be a cool way to incorporate past players. You bring back the Cheaney's, Bailey's, Graham's, etc. and put them on teams with a current male and female player and mirror the NBA shooting comp they do. 

Then you do the 3pt, dunk and a short scrimmage, and I would also have a concert following. Give a reason for the students to stay, make it a true event. The concert doesn't have to be Snoop Dog, but I'm sure IU has concerts throughout the year, why not plan one for this?

I'm a basketball pureist, I love watching the X's and O's, breaking them down, etc., but this is Hoosier Hysteria, it's not meant for that. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I haven't watched any of the HH videos, other than the short scrimmage clip. Just my opinion, but this event isn't meant for us. We're the hardcore fans that over analyze everything, follow everything, breakdown X's and O's, etc.

Midnight Madness, Hoosier Hysteria, whatever you want to call it, isn't meant for analyzing the improvements in shooting form or seeing if we'll be setting more off-ball screens, etc. It's meant to fire up the casual fan, get the students excited for the season and put on a show for recruits. It's not meant for the 1% of the fan base to see which ball handling drills the coach is emphasizing this season to limit turnovers. 

If I remember correctly, they have a couple open practices/scrimmages later on for the basketball nerds like us. 

In my opinion, you go all in on the entertainment for this event. I'm not saying you get Snoop Dog, but I am saying you make it a show. You make it like the NBA All-Star Saturday night. Again, I haven't watched the clips so I'm not sure why the Skills Competition didn't work, but I do know at NBA All-Star Weekend the skills comp is one of the best to watch. Maybe this year the skills comp for IU lost some luster because Green and Phinisee were out. I'd bet it would be pretty cool if they both were healthy and active participants, probably the same of the 3pt comp. 

The NBA also does a pretty cool shooting competition where they have teams of 3 that are comprised of a current NBA player, a current WNBA player and a legend. This could be a cool way to incorporate past players. You bring back the Cheaney's, Bailey's, Graham's, etc. and put them on teams with a current male and female player and mirror the NBA shooting comp they do. 

Then you do the 3pt, dunk and a short scrimmage, and I would also have a concert following. Give a reason for the students to stay, make it a true event. The concert doesn't have to be Snoop Dog, but I'm sure IU has concerts throughout the year, why not plan one for this?

I'm a basketball pureist, I love watching the X's and O's, breaking them down, etc., but this is Hoosier Hysteria, it's not meant for that. 

Very well said and they have already started their real practice and HH is really a party to start the season.  It is to get the fans excited for the season and try to get the fringe fans to come to the games.  Everyone on here are the die hard fans who soak up everything aspect of the game but like you said that is not what HH is all about.  I still enjoy going to HH and the atmosphere that surrounds and I realize what HH is all about.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Very well said and they have already started their real practice and HH is really a party to start the season.  It is to get the fans excited for the season and try to get the fringe fans to come to the games.  Everyone on here are the die hard fans who soak up everything aspect of the game but like you said that is not what HH is all about.  I still enjoy going to HH and the atmosphere that surrounds and I realize what HH is all about.

Exactly. We're like the hardcore fans of a band that follow the band all over the country, analyze setlists from all of their shows, and then complain when we get 5 of their top 40 singles at the show we go too when we wanted to hear the deep tracks. 99% of the fans at the concert only know the top 40 singles and the band has to appeal to those people as well. 

Hoosier Hysteria is for the casual fan, not us. I think IU's biggest problem with HH has been trying to straddle the line between providing enough entertainment for casual fan/students, without upsetting the old school Bobby Knight fan. Straddling the line is the worst thing you can do. There are enough things for the fans like us, just go all in on what HH should be, make it a true show for the casual fans and recruits. Again, that doesn't mean you have to get Snoop and pole dancers, but building it into a real concert that students want to see and making it like NBA All-Star Saturday Night, and really incorporating numerous alumni, would be the route to go IMO. 

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Again, that doesn't mean you have to get Snoop and pole dancers, but building it into a real concert that students want to see and making it like NBA All-Star Saturday Night, and really incorporating numerous alumni, would be the route to go IMO. 

Like the idea. I'd bet Mellencamp would do it at a cut rate or even free.

I know some people might not believe he would resonate with college kids, but having a daughter who just graduated last year, you'd be surprised how many college kids love the older rock stuff.

Just now, coachv said:

let them leave. they can go watch a harry potter movie if they don't enjoy basketball

I get what you are saying but you are not realizing what HH is all about and it is not about just true basketball.  You think the recruits will want to see maybe a 1,000 die hard fans watching a two hour practice.

15 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

It needs to be short and sweet. Keep the event flowing and the excitement up... Recruits come to hang out and have a good time, not watch ball handling drills.  

having a good time is subjective. your idea of having a good time is watching players dance and throw t-shirts to the crowd. mine is watching miller coach in practice. perhaps there is a type of recruit who feels the same way and would benefit the program more

Archived