let's make some changes to hoosier hysteria

coachv

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Moyeneeded said:

Lol agree. Since the departure of RMK, this has become what is supposed to be, a day of fan celebration for the upcoming season. Many can't drop the money to bring an entire family to watch a game. HH gives a chance for the young fans to have some fun watching the players in a relaxed enviorment. The louder and raucous the crowd, the better. Gives recruits a sense of the fandom. A boring (to most) 1.5hr practice though beneficial, would put many to sleep lol. The more smoke, lights and music...the better for what HH has become and what is intended.

And this is exactly what people complained about with Knight.

It was literally a full practice........and it was boring as hell.

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

Did you ever attend with Knight was coach?

I did and after about an hour it got a little boring and people would start leaving.  Just like the time I went to a colts training camp it was exciting for about an 1/2 hour but watching them run the same play over and over got boring.

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I guess I missed that.  Sad to see for a legend like A.J.  Hope he's at least mostly recovered.

19 minutes ago, coachv said:

is he disabled?

I am Pretty sure I heard that he had a slight stroke a few years ago.  Well I would guess that if you had a stroke they would not want you out there playing basketball with kids that are 15-20 years younger than you

32 minutes ago, JugRox said:

And this is exactly what people complained about with Knight.

It was literally a full practice........and it was boring as hell.

Not to mention it was at/after midnight and we partied before going in. It was tough to stay awake even as a big fan when alcohol and boredom take hold.

35 minutes ago, coachv said:

never any. moved far away as soon as i graduated. what were they like?

It was a straight practice....exactly what a practice would be under Knight, just shorter.

No fireworks, no mics, no music and very little scrimmages. Mostly drills and running lines.

I just remember watching Todd Lindeman doing a big man drill with an assistant for 20 mins and getting up and leaving out of boredom.

Most people were bored and left way early. This was about the time recruiting really dropped off for Knight. He just didn't change with the times.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Thanks for the link.  Sounds like he was expected to make a full recovery and even get back to playing so who knows...he might enjoy a half-speed scrimmage.  You know they'd slow it down for the vets and hopefully, that would also help prevent injuries.

39 minutes ago, JugRox said:

It was a straight practice....exactly what a practice would be under Knight, just shorter.

No fireworks, no mics, no music and very little scrimmages. Mostly drills and running lines.

I just remember watching Todd Lindeman doing a big man drill with an assistant for 20 mins and getting up and leaving out of boredom.

Most people were bored and left way early. This was about the time recruiting really dropped off for Knight. He just didn't change with the times.

sorry i missed that. i was going to take his coaching class but it was at 8am. i heard if you missed more than one class he failed you

1 hour ago, coachv said:

sorry i missed that. i was going to take his coaching class but it was at 8am. i heard if you missed more than one class he failed you

My dad took the very first class he taught and was on a first name basis with Knight while in school. 

I don't know how much has things have changed but with HH and midnight madness there was always another full length normal practice.  Most of the recruits would watch as well as a few invited guests. It gave recruits an opportunity to see a real practice and for me was very beneficial.  I can say that having been to practices from every coach that IU has had in my lifetime,  Sampson's were more like RMK than anyone else.  Were equally as hard.

18 hours ago, coachv said:

The doors locked at 750. Better be plenty early. His class gave me full access to practice game footage scouting reports and many late nights watching tape with Coaches Ellenberger and Felling and a lot of stuff to use when I began coaching

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The doors locked at 750. Better be plenty early. His class gave me full access to practice game footage scouting reports and many late nights watching tape with Coaches Ellenberger and Felling and a lot of stuff to use when I began coaching

wow. so jealous. i copied most of knight's methods when i started out. what level did you coach?

2 hours ago, coachv said:

wow. so jealous. i copied most of knight's methods when i started out. what level did you coach?

High school varsity. How about you? If you haven't you should contact college coaches they will share if you ask. We went to Princeton to learn Princeton Offense from Pete Carrill, then when Carmody went to Northwestern we spent a weekend there. Coach Scott went to Air Force and sent me every set they ran during an entire season on DVD.  We went and spent weekend with Bob Huggins and with Izzo they gave us complete access to everything.  When Crean was at Marquette he sent me entire playbook. I needed sets against a 3 2 zone before sectional and Coach K hooked me up. Most will give you anything if you ask

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

High school varsity. How about you? If you haven't you should contact college coaches they will share if you ask. We went to Princeton to learn Princeton Offense from Pete Carrill, then when Carmody went to Northwestern we spent a weekend there. Coach Scott went to Air Force and sent me every set they ran during an entire season on DVD.  We went and spent weekend with Bob Huggins and with Izzo they gave us complete access to everything.  When Crean was at Marquette he sent me entire playbook. I needed sets against a 3 2 zone before sectional and Coach K hooked me up. Most will give you anything if you ask

varsity hs for me as well. i loved what carrill did at princeton. remember the georgetown ncaa game where mourning had to block a game winning attempt at the last second to win? i still have an old princeton basketball hat that's about 30 years old. i used to run coach knight's 3 man baseline screen action against the 3-2. 

29 minutes ago, coachv said:

varsity hs for me as well. i loved what carrill did at princeton. remember the georgetown ncaa game where mourning had to block a game winning attempt at the last second to win? i still have an old princeton basketball hat that's about 30 years old. i used to run coach knight's 3 man baseline screen action against the 3-2. 

I was behind the bench in 96 when Princeton knocked off defending champion UCLA at the RCA Dome

Archived