unintended consequences

coachv

i think most of us agreed that the new rule allowing a player to redshirt a season in which he played only 4 games or less was a good one. now players are taking advantage of the rule by shutting it down after 4 games if they are not getting enough playing time, or more incredibly, if the team is so bad the season is hopeless. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27775032/rutgers-qb-art-sitkowski-rb-raheem-blackshear-plan-redshirt

looks like another tip of the iceberg scenario. perhaps this rule should be limited to incoming freshmen and players with verified, season ending injuries

3 minutes ago, coachv said:

i think most of us agreed that the new rule allowing a player to redshirt a season in which he played only 4 games or less was a good one. now players are taking advantage of the rule by shutting it down after 4 games if they are not getting enough playing time, or more incredibly, if the team is so bad the season is hopeless. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27775032/rutgers-qb-art-sitkowski-rb-raheem-blackshear-plan-redshirt

looks like another tip of the iceberg scenario. perhaps this rule should be limited to incoming freshmen and players with verified, season ending injuries

Why does it matter? You can only redshirt one year...if a kid isn’t playing he isn’t ready to play and needs another year. I’ve got no problem with a kid trying to save eligibility. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity for them. Why would you care if they want to get the most out of it? It’s not like a kid can do this without the programs permission.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Why does it matter? You can only redshirt one year...if a kid isn’t playing he isn’t ready to play and needs another year. I’ve got no problem with a kid trying to save eligibility. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity for them. Why would you care if they want to get the most out of it? It’s not like a kid can do this without the programs permission.

did you read it? the coach obviously doesn't like it but his hands are tied. i would dismiss the players from the program for quitting on the team

3 hours ago, coachv said:

I would bet both did this so they can transfer after the season

3 hours ago, coachv said:

did you read it? the coach obviously doesn't like it but his hands are tied. i would dismiss the players from the program for quitting on the team

So he has an option. This is an interim coach so he felt his hands were tied but most coaches in control of the program will make the decision with the player or let them go ala Dabo did at Clemson. I mean unless you think the kids should have no rights to decide their own future I don’t see what the problem is.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

So he has an option. This is an interim coach so he felt his hands were tied but most coaches in control of the program will make the decision with the player or let them go ala Dabo did at Clemson. I mean unless you think the kids should have no rights to decide their own future I don’t see what the problem is.

my problem is the kids quit mid-season because the team was bad, not because they were not playing. they are rutgers two best players. are they not culpable as well? it's the starting qb for crying out loud. have you ever heard of a starting qb quitting because the team sucked? sitkowski better be careful what he is wishing for. he will not be in demand. he may end up a reserve qb playing division 2 ball. i hope so. i hate a quitter. especially when the team looks for him to be the leader

Archived