Lineup/Rotation Predictions coming out of HH

I think Al starts at first until Jerome gets his legs back.  Some will say that leaves our bench with only 1 guard but it's not a problem.  I could easily see Rob playing 30-35 minutes a games.  After the first 7-8 mins sub Al out for Jerome to give him a breather.  Then 5 minutes later sub Al for Rob.  I don't expect more than an 8-9 man rotation.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/7/2019 at 5:09 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

You've been 'braced' for it -- Smith is not a 3. Seriously. He's not a "3" / wing in anyone's universe. He's just not. What more can be said on this point? Maybe Davis is a 3, or Brunk, or maybe bring in Shaq out of retirement at the 3.

Don't know if Hunter will start or not out of the gate. Would not be surprised if he comes off the bench a bit until he has his college game legs under him. Also have always believed, and continue to believe, the focus on starters is overdone. Who gets the most / key minutes / who closes is more important. That said, do believe Hunter will start, whether that's out of the gate or later.

Locks imo are (in Code, just for Fouls) Rob and DG a/k/a Good Green. Not sure if anyone else is. Do think Davis will start. Probably Al, if not Hunter, and TJD.  If Smith starts (not at the 3!!!!!!!!!!), then probably for Davis. I don't think Brunk starts, but he might for floor leadership / solid - veteran front court play, e.g., Brunk/TJD. Going to be interesting, looks like good competition in the front court.

half the game is played on defense. there, smith is a 3. that counts

On 10/8/2019 at 7:31 AM, 5fouls said:

A couple of things.

I just don't see a scenario where Al is made a captain and does not start the season in the starting lineup  After all, he was a starter last season.  A returning starter that is made captain is not going to lose his starting job unless someone takes it from him.  Since it's unlikely that Al gets out-worked enough in practice to lose his starting role, if it happens, it will be based on game performance.  Al begins the season in the starting lineup;  

On the flip side, I can see a scenario where Justin loses his starting role because someone is able to prove more in preseason practice.

Finally, keep in mind that we don't begin the season against Duke.  The first game is against Western Illinois.  We don't necessarily need the 'best' lineup on the floor at the start of our opener.  That provides a great opportunity to integrate Hunter in slowly, or have TJD start the season coming off the bench and challenge him to take the starter's role from one of the returning players with quality performance during game conditions.

Barring injury, I see the starting lineup for the first game as follows.

• Rob 
  • Devonte
  • Al
  • TJD (he's able to win the job outright from Justin in preseason)
  • De'Ron (will not play more than 20 minutes per game, however)

Over the course of the season, I would not be surprised to see Hunter or Smith earn a starting role based on performance.  I think Brunk plays equal minutes to De'Ron, but Davis gets the starting nod as the senior (barring injury).

Race, Damezi, and Armaan will be used situationally until/unless they take minutes away from someone ahead of them in the rotation, or there is an injury.   

aljami started at the 2 last year. coach is moving green over to the 2 full time, expecting him to be the lead scorer. have to factor that in to your supposition

On 10/8/2019 at 8:08 AM, dbmhoosier said:

I think Al starts at first until Jerome gets his legs back.  Some will say that leaves our bench with only 1 guard but it's not a problem.  I could easily see Rob playing 30-35 minutes a games.  After the first 7-8 mins sub Al out for Jerome to give him a breather.  Then 5 minutes later sub Al for Rob.  I don't expect more than an 8-9 man rotation.

durham is going to back up phinisee at the one, green at the 2, and play some 3 when miller wants to go small of if he has a hot hand from outside. plenty of minutes there 

30 minutes ago, coachv said:

durham is going to back up phinisee at the one, green at the 2, and play some 3 when miller wants to go small of if he has a hot hand from outside. plenty of minutes there 

I expect him to start until Jerome is ready.  He's just the safe choice.  As much as some want to see it Justin is just not a 3.

52 minutes ago, coachv said:

half the game is played on defense. there, smith is a 3. that counts

But that's not really how positions are designated. Defense is typically designated by matchups, not positions. When Christian Watford was defending Trey Burke, that didn't make Watford a point guard. Offensively Smith is a forward with very little (unless he's improved greatly, which is possible) propensity for playing the wing. 

35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

But that's not really how positions are designated. Defense is typically designated by matchups, not positions. When Christian Watford was defending Trey Burke, that didn't make Watford a point guard. Offensively Smith is a forward with very little (unless he's improved greatly, which is possible) propensity for playing the wing. 

Wait, Wat wasn’t a 1? 

Oh man 

29 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

What I want:

Phinisee           

Green                

Hunter              

TJD

Brunk 

Me two. Has Al to come in and sub for either guard. Also like the idea of De'Ron coming into punish a backup center and get a lot of touches as an offensive weapon for the second unit.

31 minutes ago, coachv said:

offensively

Again, you don't assign positions like that defensively, you assign matchups. In college my coach didn't say "you're a 2 on offense and the 4 on defense", I was our shooting guard, but at 6'6" sometimes I defended 4's if they were more perimeter oriented, sometimes I defended point guards and sometimes wings, it depended on the matchup. But, if anyone asked me or my coach what position I played, the reply would be the 2, because those positions are most often designated for your offensive position.  

Smith can defend 1-4, maybe even 5 if it's a smaller 5, but his position is a forward (4 if you want to go by numbers). 

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Again, you don't assign positions like that defensively, you assign matchups. In college my coach didn't say "you're a 2 on offense and the 4 on defense", I was our shooting guard, but at 6'6" sometimes I defended 4's if they were more perimeter oriented, sometimes I defended point guards and sometimes wings, it depended on the matchup. But, if anyone asked me or my coach what position I played, the reply would be the 2, because those positions are most often designated for your offensive position.  

Smith can defend 1-4, maybe even 5 if it's a smaller 5, but his position is a forward (4 if you want to go by numbers). 

if i say "small forward" does that make it better?

1 minute ago, coachv said:

if i say "small forward" does that make it better?

You can say it, but that doesn't make him one. In a lineup of guards, wings, forwards and centers, Justin Smith is a forward or a 4 if you want to put a number on it. Defensively he can defend 1-4 and even occasionally a 5 if the opponent is playing a small-ball lineup.  

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

When the season is all said and done, I wish there was some way we could find out the percentage of time Smith played with only two other guards on the floor over the course of the year.  My bet is it would be less than 10% of his total minutes. 

Who are the guards that will get decent playing time?

Al, Green, Rob, ....maybe Armaan......and?

i bet it’s over 10%.

smith can play a different position on defense than offense. Play the 4 on O and play D on the 3.

14 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Who are the guards that will get decent playing time?

Al, Green, Rob, ....maybe Armaan......and?

i bet it’s over 10%.

Yep, those four make up the guard rotation, and you can maybe include Anderson if you want to call him a big guard (although I’d say he’s more of wing).  Wouldn’t be surprised if the first three you mentioned lead the team in minutes played, even if Al is coming off the bench.  Two of those three will be on the floor at all times, and then you’ll have Green, Durham, Hunter, and hopefully Anderson and Franklin splitting time at the 3.

If Smith plays much more than 10% of his minutes with only two other guards on the floor, I’ll predict we have one of the worst offenses in the conference again.

36 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yep, those four make up the guard rotation, and you can maybe include Anderson if you want to call him a big guard (although I’d say he’s more of wing).  Wouldn’t be surprised if the first three you mentioned lead the team in minutes played, even if Al is coming off the bench.  Two of those three will be on the floor at all times, and then you’ll have Green, Durham, Hunter, and hopefully Anderson and Franklin splitting time at the 3.

If Smith plays much more than 10% of his minutes with only two other guards on the floor, I’ll predict we have one of the worst offenses in the conference again.

I’ll take that bet if Hunter stays healthy 

And Anderson isn’t considered a guard 

Green will never play the 3....if he’s on the floor, he is your shooting guard.

the only “guard” that will ever play the 3 is Al

22 minutes ago, JugRox said:

I’ll take that bet if Hunter stays healthy 

And Anderson isn’t considered a guard 

Like I said, I think Anderson is more of a wing/small forward... He’s a smaller wing, but he doesn’t have the ballhandling skills of a guard.

And if Hunter stays healthy, why would we want to play Smith at a position he’s not equipped to play anyway?  You cannot put three bad shooters on the floor and expect to have a competent offense.  

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Like I said, I think Anderson is more of a wing/small forward... He’s a smaller wing, but he doesn’t have the ballhandling skills of a guard.

And if Hunter stays healthy, why would we want to play Smith at a position he’s not equipped to play anyway?  You cannot put three bad shooters on the floor and expect to have a competent offense.  

Hunter will play the 3.

And who exactly are the 3 "bad" shooters with....

Davis, Smith, Hunter, Green, and Rob?

Rotate TJD with Smith and Brunk with Davis....Anderson can spell the 4.......and Al rotate with the 2 and 3....and Armaan at the 1 (I don't think Armaan plays much this year).

And you still have Thompson...who IMO will get 7-10 mins a game somewhere.

Anderson couldn't be on floor as same time as Smith....ill give ya that one.....but that's way more for ball handling than shooting.

Smith can easily guard the 3......remember that. So, whoever you put in at the 3 on Offense won't need to guard that position on defense if Smith is on the floor.

1 hour ago, JugRox said:

Hunter will play the 3.

And who exactly are the 3 "bad" shooters with....

Davis, Smith, Hunter, Green, and Rob?

Rotate TJD with Smith and Brunk with Davis....Anderson can spell the 4.......and Al rotate with the 2 and 3....and Armaan at the 1 (I don't think Armaan plays much this year).

And you still have Thompson...who IMO will get 7-10 mins a game somewhere.

Anderson couldn't be on floor as same time as Smith....ill give ya that one.....but that's way more for ball handling than shooting.

Smith can easily guard the 3......remember that. So, whoever you put in at the 3 on Offense won't need to guard that position on defense if Smith is on the floor.

It doesn’t really matter who he’s defending, in a Davis, Smith, Hunter, Green, Phinisee lineup Smith is the forward (4), Hunter and Green are the wings, Phinisee is the guard and Davis is the 5.

I’m sorry to hop into this debate all the time, but I’ve yet to hear from anyone what skills Smith has to play the wing? He’s a minus at shooting, ball handling, passing, distributing, etc. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It doesn’t really matter who he’s defending, in a Davis, Smith, Hunter, Green, Phinisee lineup Smith is the forward (4), Hunter and Green are the wings, Phinisee is the guard and Davis is the 5.

I’m sorry to hop into this debate all the time, but I’ve yet to hear from anyone what skills Smith has to play the wing? He’s a minus at shooting, ball handling, passing, distributing, etc. 

I think some want him at the 3 simply because he's taller than the other guys mentioned.  Bigger is better to them.

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think some want him at the 3 simply because he's taller than the other guys mentioned.  Bigger is better to them.

I just don’t get it. I’m not trying to be combative with people, I’ve just never seen Smith show any skill at all to play the 3 or wing. Unless he’s drastically changed his game and improved his skills, he’s never show an ability for it. I don’t get what people are seeing?

Archived