is this coach high, or what?

coachv

32 minutes ago, coachv said:

tyler smith, sports writer and varsity girls basketball coach at crawfordsville high, had an interesting take on indiana's basketball prospects for the upcoming season:

http://www.journalreview.com/sports/article_012f282e-e936-11e9-a977-87f059bcf825.html

the fun starts near the end of the article. enjoy

I don't see anything in their that can't happen because I predict them to finish 6th and make the tournament.

16 minutes ago, IU Hardcore said:

Well, I do see one thing.

In my opinion it is highly unlikely that Clifton Moore will "take a leap forward in production"  for the IU basketball team this season.

I expect approximately the same amount of production as he gave us the first two seasons. :coffee:

He also said that Justin Smith has already put up big numbers in several games this season!?!?!

It looks to me like the writer took an article he wrote during the season last season and just went in and edited/updated it, but missed some big things before posting/submitting. 

Stripping out all of the inaccuracies of the article, I think the writer has an overall point. 

I don't know if this team will surprise or not, but the potential is there. Obviously, replacing Morgan and Langford isn't easy, but I also think IU is well positioned to do some of that. I love Morgan, I really do, and I admire how hard he worked to improve himself, etc., but I also think he's a little overrated by fans even though his career numbers finished really high. Somebody had to produce on the last two teams and I'm not sure where Morgan fell in terms of his ability to lead. He was also an undersized big and while I admire his toughness to thrive at his height, I think IU will benefit from having more size this year. 

I'd say TJD is actually a much better fit given his size and athleticism. It just remains to be scene how much of Morgan's presence he can replace as a freshmen. The good news is he has Brunk and apparently a healthy and fit Davis by his side, something Morgan never really had. You also have Smith in there, but having TJD and hopefully a healthy Race allows you to not have to rely on Smith. If he makes a leap and develops an identity and consistency, then that would be awesome, if he doesn't, you play TJD and you still have Race and Brunk can play some 4 too. The point is, I hope Smith becomes the real deal this year, but IU isn't as reliant on it as they were last season. 

Replacing Langford is a little more tricky, but if Hunter is 100% that becomes much less of a concern, also it really helps if Phinisee can stay healthy and Green can be a consistent producer. 

To me, the keys to successful season where IU is one of the surprise teams is:

- Can Phinisee stay healthy and make a leap to become one of the top echelon point guards in the conference?

- Is TJD ready to perform like some of our past McDonald's AA's have? Bryant, Zeller, etc. Not that he has to be as good as those guys, but is he close?

- Is Hunter 100% and can he be a consistent, go-to scorer? Not saying he has to average 16-17ppg like Langford, but is he a guy that can get some buckets when the offense is sputtering a bit and a guy that can hit those tough shots when the team needs it?

- Can Green be a leader and perform consistently?

- Will a bench shooter/scorer develop between Anderson and Franklin?

There are a lot of 'if's' there, but if those things happen and the team stays relatively healthy, I don't see why they can't finish in the top 5 or so of the conference and be a tourney lock. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Stripping out all of the inaccuracies of the article, I think the writer has an overall point. 

I don't know if this team will surprise or not, but the potential is there. Obviously, replacing Morgan and Langford isn't easy, but I also think IU is well positioned to do some of that. I love Morgan, I really do, and I admire how hard he worked to improve himself, etc., but I also think he's a little overrated by fans even though his career numbers finished really high. Somebody had to produce on the last two teams and I'm not sure where Morgan fell in terms of his ability to lead. He was also an undersized big and while I admire his toughness to thrive at his height, I think IU will benefit from having more size this year. 

I'd say TJD is actually a much better fit given his size and athleticism. It just remains to be scene how much of Morgan's presence he can replace as a freshmen. The good news is he has Brunk and apparently a healthy and fit Davis by his side, something Morgan never really had. You also have Smith in there, but having TJD and hopefully a healthy Race allows you to not have to rely on Smith. If he makes a leap and develops an identity and consistency, then that would be awesome, if he doesn't, you play TJD and you still have Race and Brunk can play some 4 too. The point is, I hope Smith becomes the real deal this year, but IU isn't as reliant on it as they were last season. 

Replacing Langford is a little more tricky, but if Hunter is 100% that becomes much less of a concern, also it really helps if Phinisee can stay healthy and Green can be a consistent producer. 

To me, the keys to successful season where IU is one of the surprise teams is:

- Can Phinisee stay healthy and make a leap to become one of the top echelon point guards in the conference?

- Is TJD ready to perform like some of our past McDonald's AA's have? Bryant, Zeller, etc. Not that he has to be as good as those guys, but is he close?

- Is Hunter 100% and can he be a consistent, go-to scorer? Not saying he has to average 16-17ppg like Langford, but is he a guy that can get some buckets when the offense is sputtering a bit and a guy that can hit those tough shots when the team needs it?

- Can Green be a leader and perform consistently?

- Will a bench shooter/scorer develop between Anderson and Franklin?

There are a lot of 'if's' there, but if those things happen and the team stays relatively healthy, I don't see why they can't finish in the top 5 or so of the conference and be a tourney lock. 

and contributions from all the freshmen who didn't play last season

37 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

So Romeo was partially at fault for the chemistry issues?

i would not trust anything this guy says. after reading that gibberish, he has zero credibility. do you really think he has inside connections to the indiana program? he was hired in may to coach the girls team in crawfordsville. you should read the article where he is interviewed after getting the job. can't understand half of what he says. there's going to be a few long, losing seasons at that school

17 minutes ago, coachv said:

and contributions from all the freshmen who didn't play last season

That's basically just Anderson at this point. He falls in that bullet point about a reliable shooter developing off the bench. I'd love to see Anderson develop into a solid rotation player this season. For some reason I really like him, but he really needs the game to slow down, develop his BBall IQ and get comfortable at this level. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

He also said that Justin Smith has already put up big numbers in several games this season!?!?!

It looks to me like the writer took an article he wrote during the season last season and just went in and edited/updated it, but missed some big things before posting/submitting. 

Yep.  I thought the same thing.  Shoddy.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yes.  He faked a thumb injury, slept with Devonte's girlfriend, his English professor, my ex-wife #7 and BluegrassIU's cousin/girlfriend, called Archie by the name of 'Shorty' instead of Coach,  referred to Jake Forrester as 'Sideshow Bob', would not share his box of Fruity Pebbles with his teammates, and gave Clifton Moore a wedgie.

All of this is public knowledge, so I am not sure why the writer did not proovide specifics in his article.

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Judging from the anti-Pulitzer level of journalism from this dude, I think it's safe to say he has about as much insider knowledge of IUMBB as I have a chance at dunking on our heralded returning senior point guard, Clifton Moore. Also, that website gave me eye cancer. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

That's basically just Anderson at this point. He falls in that bullet point about a reliable shooter developing off the bench. I'd love to see Anderson develop into a solid rotation player this season. For some reason I really like him, but he really needs the game to slow down, develop his BBall IQ and get comfortable at this level. 

i don't think he will be a shooter for us but i am excited about his length and athletic ability on defense. might develop into a solid rebound guy too

4 minutes ago, coachv said:

i don't think he will be a shooter for us but i am excited about his length and athletic ability on defense. might develop into a solid rebound guy too

Apparently he was a really strong shooter in high school, which was one of the key attributes that got him recruited. It certainly didn't translate last year, but hopefully it will as the game slows down for him. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Apparently he was a really strong shooter in high school, which was one of the key attributes that got him recruited. It certainly didn't translate last year, but hopefully it will as the game slows down for him. 

let's hope. he will have to be really wide open to get that shot off with that low release. i think always being concerned with getting the ball shoved back in your face will affect his confidence

4 hours ago, coachv said:

let's hope. he will have to be really wide open to get that shot off with that low release. i think always being concerned with getting the ball shoved back in your face will affect his confidence

I don’t think he worries about that one bit. He was recruited to be a shooter. If he can’t then that was a poor evaluation by IU and several other schools.

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yes.  He faked a thumb injury, slept with Devonte's girlfriend, his English professor, my ex-wife #7 and BluegrassIU's cousin/girlfriend, called Archie by the name of 'Shorty' instead of Coach,  referred to Jake Forrester as 'Sideshow Bob', would not share his box of Fruity Pebbles with his teammates, and gave Clifton Moore a wedgie.

All of this is public knowledge, so I am not sure why the writer did not proovide specifics in his article.

He didn't write anything about what Langford did with my dog!

8 hours ago, BEKA said:

Judging from the anti-Pulitzer level of journalism from this dude, I think it's safe to say he has about as much insider knowledge of IUMBB as I have a chance at dunking on our heralded returning senior point guard, Clifton Moore. Also, that website gave me eye cancer. 

that's the funniest thing i've ever read here. other than the stuff i write

Archived