Great Steve Downing interview

27 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

I was shocked to hear Downing feels that Knight will be at an IU game this year.

Knight recruited Archie, and I believe he knows his dad well.  Moving back to Bloomington means something.  

Let me say this, Archie might not be a Hoosier, but he has the heart and brain of one.  Downing interview only affirms that.  

21 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Knight recruited Archie, and I believe he knows his dad well.  Moving back to Bloomington means something.  

Let me say this, Archie might not be a Hoosier, but he has the heart and brain of one.  Downing interview only affirms that.  

Interesting that you mention that about Archie.  It was just yesterday. I was thinking. One does not have to have been born a Hoosier. To become one.  Archie DOES have the heart of a Hoosier. IMHO.  Recruiting the state from inside out.  And just think of this. Everett Dean was born in Indiana. And established himself as one of the first great IUBB coaches. Branch also was born a Hoosier.  And became a legend, enough to have the home court named after him.

YET...... the greatest IUBB HC of all time, in my humble opinion.  Came from Ohio.

And after all these years. And words.  Why ?  Why would Coach Knight choose to return to Bloomington ? 

No reason, why. In my mind, why.  Coach Miller can't set the standard, like the "General" for himself at IU. 

Once a Hoosier. No matter how you got there. Always a Hoosier.   After all. "It's Indiana !"  " It's Indiana ! "

Just now, milehiiu said:

Interesting that you mention that about Archie.  It was just yesterday. I was thinking. One does not have to have been born a Hoosier. To become one.  Archie DOES have the heart of a Hoosier. IMHO.  Recruiting the state from inside out.  And just think of this. Everett Dean was born in Indiana. And established himself as one of the first great IUBB coaches. Branch also was born a Hoosier.  And became a legend, enough to have the home court named after him.

YET...... the greatest IUBB HC of all time, in my humble opinion.  Came from Ohio.

And after all these years. And words.  Why ?  Why would Coach Knight choose to return to Bloomington ? 

No reason, why. In my mind, why.  Coach Miller can't set the standard, like the "General" for himself at IU. 

Once a Hoosier. No matter how you got there. Always a Hoosier.   After all. "It's Indiana !"  " It's Indiana ! "

We all have our favorite "outsiders" but Zeke, Daryl Thomas, Garrett, Smart.....Moye, Fife, Hornsby, Newton.....to Oladipo, Bryant, Williams,etc.....our history is littered with Hoosiers who just didn't happen to be born here. I blame my parents all the time. 15 miles from state line. Had to be born in Chicago. Not an official Hoosier I guess.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We all have our favorite "outsiders" but Zeke, Daryl Thomas, Garrett, Smart.....Moye, Fife, Hornsby, Newton.....to Oladipo, Bryant, Williams,etc.....our history is littered with Hoosiers who just didn't happen to be born here. I blame my parents all the time. 15 miles from state line. Had to be born in Chicago. Not an official Hoosier I guess.

I love, love your post. Remember my parents when I was a kid, going to Illinois on Sundays for dinner at restaurants. Because there were no blue laws in Illinois.

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Especially the last undefeated team.  Buckner and May

So knight recruited archie, endorsed him as a coach, and is in bloomington and as been on campus after all these years. Say no more.

I have been more than willing to be patient, and of course he could fail, but dang do I have a good feeling about archie and the future of the program. 

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So knight recruited archie, endorsed him as a coach, and is in bloomington and as been on campus after all these years. Say no more.

I have been more than willing to be patient, and of course he could fail, but dang do I have a good feeling about archie and the future of the program. 

Would love to see Coach Knight have a prominent seat behind the bench for every IU home  game.  Come on coach. You know you want to do it !

20 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Another part of that interview that was interesting was that Steve mentioned how Knight was surprised at the warm reception he got at the IU baseball game and that played a factor in him moving back to Bloomington.

Coach Knight has said some negative things about IU in the past.  And has shown some disrespect, despite IU's repeated attempts to reach out to him. No need to go into details.  I am sure you all know them all.  Even I... was put out by things he has said and done since getting fired from IU.  Yet. There is no better thing that I could think of, is IU and IU fans wrapping their arms around him... for what he did for IU.  And not just in basketball.  The classes he taught. And his contributions to the library, and so much more.  I posted earlier about having a seat behind the bench.  Better yet. Coach Knight deserves a permanent seat on the court, next to Coach Miller.  Why not ?

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Coach Knight has said some negative things about IU in the past.  And has shown some disrespect, despite IU's repeated attempts to reach out to him. No need to go into details.  I am sure you all know them all.  Even I... was put out by things he has said and done since getting fired from IU.  Yet. There is no better thing that I could think of, is IU and IU fans wrapping their arms around him... for what he did for IU.  And not just in basketball.  The classes he taught. And his contributions to the library, and so much more.  I posted earlier about having a seat behind the bench.  Better yet. Coach Knight deserves a permanent seat on the court, next to Coach Miller.  Why not ?

But, RMK has never belittled the fans of IU. Maybe a few asshat students now and then, but has always talked in high reguards of the fans. The passion, the knowledge.

5 hours ago, Moyeneeded said:

But, RMK has never belittled the fans of IU. Maybe a few asshat students now and then, but has always talked in high reguards of the fans. The passion, the knowledge.

Very true. Coach Knight, to my knowledge, has always talked very highly of the IU fan base. 

On 10/11/2019 at 10:55 AM, iamaparker1 said:

Do you guys think Archie has talked to Knight? I'm thinking probably or is at least trying to.

Yes and not just on the phone. At this point overall health and cognitive issues will be the only thing that keep the General from making an appearance.  He says he does not want to be made a big deal and any sort of distraction but deep down I think he needs it for some internal healing. 

Make no mistake the reason he came back to Bloomington is completely associated with his health and being back to a place that has great memories,  friends and a happier time. 

Archived