Can Devonte Have a Big Year?

Great article.   I think something that gets overlooked at times is Devonte's ability to feed the post. Although bad Devonte can get careless with his passes, it is still one of his strengths.  With the size we will have this year, feeding the post will be a great asset. If his shoot continues to be consistent from deep, that ability to spread the floor will open up even more opportunities inside.

I'm banking on him being "good Devonte" the vast majority of minutes played, rather than "bad Devonte" that we saw at the beginning and middle of last year.

I've watched a lot of film on him, read several background articles on him, and I've evolved into a Devonte supporter. The kid does not quit. We need that. He hustles. We need that. He works hard to get open. We need that. And he's not a bad defender at all. For a guard he gets more than a fair share of rebounds.

If he can play like he did in the latter part of last season, I think we're in pretty good shape. If he reverts back to making stupid, 1% chance passes, and playing "me ball" instead of team ball, then we're in trouble. But I don't think we'll see that. I think he realizes he excels when the team excels. He's even said he needs to set the example now, by being named captain. Obviously, since the team voted him Captain, he had to be doing good things prior to the vote.

He's one of the reasons I'm excited for this year's team.

I’d argue, succinctly, this Hoosiers team *needs* Devonte to have a big year to be consistently successful.

I, for one, think he will. The fact that Archie dubbed him a team captain says quite a bit. I imagine it might even result in Devonte being a more outspoken leader of the team, as well.

30 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

I’d argue, succinctly, this Hoosiers team *needs* Devonte to have a big year to be consistently successful.

I, for one, think he will. The fact that Archie dubbed him a team captain says quite a bit. I imagine it might even result in Devonte being a more outspoken leader of the team, as well.

You probably know this but it was the team that voted him captain.  Maybe I missed Archie making comment of it and doubling down.  This was in the original media release, "Devonte and Al have earned the respect of their teammates and coaching staff.”  

I read a blurb the other day on Devonte. I forget where it was.. In it,  he admitted to losing confidence, at times.  And when he did, it impacted his game negatively.  Said he has been working on his confidence issues.  As he realized his performance is much better in games that he comes in with confidence. 

Thanks for the article, TDH. 

The importance of Devonte can be summed up with Archie's comment that he is, by far, our most talented offensive player.  For a team that struggles at times offensively, you need the best you got to play well in order to win. 

I expect to see a big year.  16-18 points a game is not out of the question.

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The importance of Devonte can be summed up with Archie's comment that he is, by far, our most talented offensive player.  For a team that struggles at times offensively, you need the best you got to play well in order to win. 

I expect to see a big year.  16-18 points a game is not out of the question.

Assuming Hunter is healthy and plays himself back into full game shape and contribution, I think we'll see more balance, Green and Hunter both in the area of 14-15. Definitely going to be interesting to see how the outside and wing offense develops. Also expect Rob to have a better year offensively

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Can Devonte finally put it all together this year?  He'll have a new challenge of being the team's primary scoring threat -- and the top guy the opposition is planning to stop.

The comment from Archie regarding Devonte’s pre-season being “distractionless on the floor” and Devonte’s comment about playing better after maturing and “realizing the situation” he was in, makes me wonder if he struggled with Romeo being the focal point. 

Hopefully he can stay focused on team success and accept coaching this season 

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

You probably know this but it was the team that voted him captain.  Maybe I missed Archie making comment of it and doubling down.  This was in the original media release, "Devonte and Al have earned the respect of their teammates and coaching staff.”  

I remember reading that after you mentioned it. Well, even better then...the fact that his own teammates think that highly of him, it should surely embolden him to be a note vocal leader of the club.

Many times, when a kid realizes that this is his last season in college, they become much more focused and driven to leave a positive legacy. 

Devonte may play at a next level, and this year is his audition. He may never play organized ball again, so this year is his swan song. 

Whichever the case, I am hoping that one of these things motivates Devonte to be the best version of himself as a player and as a leader.

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If Green averages in the area of 40 percent from deep and otherwise has a good year he’ll play in the League. 

Maybe. He can definitely play upper level pro, but the NBA is another beast. He's got the talent for sure. Saying "He may never play organized ball again..." is waaaaaaay over-the-top.  There are a ton of leagues and over 70,000 professional basketball players. Let's give the kid a break here. He has the potential to be all league if he stays healthy. 

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Maybe. He can definitely play upper level pro, but the NBA is another beast. He's got the talent for sure. Saying "He may never play organized ball again..." is waaaaaaay over-the-top.  There are a ton of leagues and over 70,000 professional basketball players. Let's give the kid a break here. He has the potential to be all league if he stays healthy. 

I agree. The difference is that consistent outside shot for Green - he’s already a 2-way player. If he is hitting at 40 from deep he will make the NBA. Regardless he will have options, G League, Euro, etc 

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

That’s me. Waaay over the top.

I was using juxtaposition. I believe he’ll play after college but who here has a crystal ball. God forbid that he suffers a career ending injury.

My point being, I hope he plays like he may never play another game in his life.

I just want him to play with confidence...but control. Smart, focused, driving with a plan...and for Pete's sake master that floater. If I see him air ball that floater 1 more time I will....ok...confidence...I promise if Devonte has confidence I will have confidence in him lol.

Archived