TJD & Joey win First 2 Golden Jerseys

DWB

I know some of the players don't think the gold jersey is a big deal, and probably a lot of fans might think it's kind of corny. Not me.

Being rewarded for effort, commitment, and results is never un-warranted.

I couldn't be happier for Trayce, and Archie continues to solidify his philosophy for the type of players he wants.

Go Hoosiers!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't really care one way or another about practice and how they perform.  I care more about what happens on game day on the court.

The thing is the usually the better you practice the better you play in the game so you should care how they are practicing.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is the usually the better you practice the better you play in the game so you should care how they are practicing.

I think the thing there is Scott the term "usually."  And that rings true more often than not.  But not always.  There are guys out there that disdain practice but excel in the games.

5 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't really care one way or another about practice and how they perform.  I care more about what happens on game day on the court.

I'm actually agreeing with you on the big picture. For new kids to program, for recruiting,etc.....getting public attention with the 2nd largest Mens Basketball follow on Twitter is a big deal. To your point though I'm with you. Love the kids....but we need wins. No more off court wins. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

I think the thing there is Scott the term "usually."  And that rings true more often than not.  But not always.  There are guys out there that disdain practice but excel in the games.

You would be correct, however I would pose that the ones you talk of probably still practice hard even if they disdain practice. The ones who excel in games without practicing hard are rare exceptions, and can you imagine how good they would be if they did!

7 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Some one once said "the will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win"

as i recall, he was a pretty fair coach

I always come back to this...

Michael Jordan was known as one of the most competitive and vicious practice players ever. 

The intensity of the Magic/Bird rivalry was fueled by the desire to outwork one another through practice.

Allen Iverson, pretty much the poster boy for distain of practice, never won anything in college or the pros.

The true greats are winners for a reason...

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I always come back to this...

Michael Jordan was known as one of the most competitive and vicious practice players ever. 

The intensity of the Magic/Bird rivalry was fueled by the desire to outwork one another through practice.

Allen Iverson, pretty much the poster boy for distain of practice, never won anything in college or the pros.

The true greats are winners for a reason...

You are saying if Allen Iverson was on those loaded Celtic/Laker teams he would not have won a championship?? Hmm. Allen took one of the most mediocre teams in NBA Finals history up against Shaq and Kobe. Sure they didn't win it all but it had nothing to do with how hard he practiced. Super talent is super talent...and that talent didn't just create itself...he was 6 foot nothing and weighed 100 and nothing. The reason for the Kobe/Shaq split was because Kobe didn't think Shaq practiced hard enough and worked at it enough....yet Shaq won several championships. Not sure we can go that far with the correlation. Practice is vital but I don't think in Iverson's case it stopped him from greatness.

In the grand scheme of things though I do think how you prepare will show result on the court. There is a fine line a lot of the time in winning and losing and the ones that win generally are better prepared. As others have quoted...Knight had a lot of great things to say about preparation...and I'm glad to see our Mc D all American practicing the right way. Kid has his head on straight.

For anybody interested...there is a 30 sec video of TJD wearing the Gold Jersey in practice (I assume it was yesterday based on the post) from the IUBB twitter account.

To me he looks good, and I don't think he was playing all that hard. Wait til he gets pissed and wants to dominate the opponent...can't wait! :cheers:

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

In the grand scheme of things though I do think how you prepare will show result on the court. There is a fine line a lot of the time in winning and losing and the ones that win generally are better prepared.

And basically that's what I'm saying. I never said Iverson wasn't a great player. He was. But he was the one that came out publicly and said in essence he didn't think practice meant much. 

He was the leader of those 76er teams. If the leader doesn't think practice is too important, what are the other players supposed to think? If he'd had Jordan's competitive drive, maybe he could have lifted the 76ers to a title.

I think some people are looking at the Gold Jersey as an "Employee of the Month" kind of thing. It's not to me. From what I've seen, our coach isn't one to give "participation trophies." He's building a culture.

Hard work is contagious.

Winning is too. 

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And basically that's what I'm saying. I never said Iverson wasn't a great player. He was. But he was the one that came out publicly and said in essence he didn't think practice meant much. 

He was the leader of those 76er teams. If the leader doesn't think practice is too important, what are the other players supposed to think? If he'd had Jordan's competitive drive, maybe he could have lifted the 76ers to a title.

I think some people are looking at the Gold Jersey as an "Employee of the Month" kind of thing. It's not to me. From what I've seen, our coach isn't one to give "participation trophies." He's building a culture.

Hard work is contagious.

Winning is too. 

Michael Jordan couldn’t lift the 76ers to a title. I mean who was on that team?? Eric Snow and Aaron Mckie?? Yeah no...not against Kobe and Shaq.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Michael Jordan couldn’t lift the 76ers to a title. I mean who was on that team?? Eric Snow and Aaron Mckie?? Yeah no...not against Kobe and Shaq.

The simple fact is, in my opinion I believe if AI had been more like Jordan, Bird, or Magic he could have been even better than he was...

Maybe he should have tried to make 500 3s a day...

Interesting discussion.

Reggie was always last to leave the gym and usually first in. 

He didn’t win a championship - but only because he had MJ against him, and then Shaq and Kobe. That kind of effort amplifies greatness.

The Gold Jersey is a great reflection of effort and development— it  and the practice it represents are great to see.

Guys like Morgan, Romeo, Hunter win that jersey, it is a strong indicator of what we can expect to see in games. 

On 10/11/2019 at 8:50 PM, dgambill said:

You are saying if Allen Iverson was on those loaded Celtic/Laker teams he would not have won a championship?? Hmm. Allen took one of the most mediocre teams in NBA Finals history up against Shaq and Kobe. Sure they didn't win it all but it had nothing to do with how hard he practiced. Super talent is super talent...and that talent didn't just create itself...he was 6 foot nothing and weighed 100 and nothing. The reason for the Kobe/Shaq split was because Kobe didn't think Shaq practiced hard enough and worked at it enough....yet Shaq won several championships. Not sure we can go that far with the correlation. Practice is vital but I don't think in Iverson's case it stopped him from greatness.

In the grand scheme of things though I do think how you prepare will show result on the court. There is a fine line a lot of the time in winning and losing and the ones that win generally are better prepared. As others have quoted...Knight had a lot of great things to say about preparation...and I'm glad to see our Mc D all American practicing the right way. Kid has his head on straight.

Due respect, I don’t understand the point in arguing devil’s advocate to the benefits and virtue in practicing and preparing hard. 

There is little to suggest someone who is a lousy worker in practicing and prepping actually will fare better than his or her peers who excel at it.

On 10/12/2019 at 8:28 AM, DWB said:

For anybody interested...there is a 30 sec video of TJD wearing the Gold Jersey in practice (I assume it was yesterday based on the post) from the IUBB twitter account.

To me he looks good, and I don't think he was playing all that hard. Wait til he gets pissed and wants to dominate the opponent...can't wait! :cheers:

does not get mentioned much but let's not forget how good his pops was

Archived