IU vs Maryland Pre-game Thread

milehiiu

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Kodos said:

That's a movie that I want to see!

Hoosiers 2.

This is a must win game if we are to get this movie greenlighted. Big game for us. IU always has little room for error when it comes to making a bowl game. I would feel really good about our chances if we can put up a W this week.

37 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Lose this game and it's the same old IU football team talk, get another win and begin to make the shift that people start expecting us to win the games that we should win. 

Exactly. It's probably my crimson colored glasses, but I really think this team is different and that we will win easily on the road. 

42 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Lose this game and it's the same old IU football team talk, get another win and begin to make the shift that people start expecting us to win the games that we should win. 

I am hopeful of the team finally making the turn we all have been waiting on.  I really want to believe but have been burned so many times.  Holding out hope for this weekend for sure.

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

Exactly. It's probably my crimson colored glasses, but I really think this team is different and that we will win easily on the road. 

I'm in the same boat.  I'm slightly cautious because we're IU football, but I really think this team is different than what we usually see.  I think we're going to see a borderline blowout win Saturday.

31 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm in the same boat.  I'm slightly cautious because we're IU football, but I really think this team is different than what we usually see.  I think we're going to see a borderline blowout win Saturday.

Last week was the first time I think I've ever expected a blowout IU victory in a B10 game.  I'll settle for "convincing but close". 

6 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Last week was the first time I think I've ever expected a blowout IU victory in a B10 game.  I'll settle for "convincing but close". 

I’ve been an IU football fan for my entire 49 years.  I’d settle for a win...any type of win...over my fear if this is going to be typical IU football and we will blow it and lose just as I’m starting to get optimistic. Lol

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I feel like "convincing and close" and "borderline blowout" aren't all that far off.

I'd settle for ugly and unexciting, but I don't want to get this confused with one of @5fouls ex wives.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Never enjoy seeing guys get hurt, but this will only help us.  Their secondary was already really bad, and this is just another shot to their defense.  I'd be fine if we throw the ball 40+ times.

I've really enjoyed our offensive game plan, so I don't think they can hang with our passing game.  I think this game we'll be able to mix in some deep throws earlier in the game.  Usually we throw a lot of short throws to open up the deep throws later, but I think their secondary is suspect enough that we can go deep early in the game.  I'd love to see us try some over the top throws early to try to jump on them.  Getting a lead and making them play from behind is the key.  They don't have the offense to catch up when they get behind.

14 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Most of my life, this is the kind of game we would lose. Most of my life I would expect us to lose. I don’t expect us to this time. Winning this game would be a positive sign that it’s not just business as usual with IU FB. 

It does feel different this year.  I feel like we have the coaches and players in place to change the narrative we've gotten used to all these years.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

^^^ Interesting.  Something I haven't seen for years.  IU fan confidence seems to be building.

While....Maryland football fan confidence drops to new season low in Week 7 

I'm always the optimist when it comes to things, so it isn't that new for me, but the confidence in IU does seem more real this year.  I'm glad to see there are more people jumping on board.

I would love to send their confidence plummeting after this week's game.

Knock on wood... our QBs have only been sacked 8 times all year. I understand that the defenses we've played plays a large role in that, but Penix was only sacked once vs. MSU. (5 of our 8 sacks came against OSU). So in the other 5 games we've only given up 3 sacks. Pretty impressive. Truthfully... above all else.. if that continues.. I absolutely see us as a bowl team. We are going to continue to struggle to run it at times, but we can generate enough short yardage type plays from our bubbles/flares/outs/quick hitches to survive ex. MSU game. 

But we HAVE to be able to hold up when he wants to take a shot down field because we have the QB and WR talent to make those plays. 

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Knock on wood... our QBs have only been sacked 8 times all year. I understand that the defenses we've played plays a large role in that, but Penix was only sacked once vs. MSU. (5 of our 8 sacks came against OSU). So in the other 5 games we've only given up 3 sacks. Pretty impressive. Truthfully... above all else.. if that continues.. I absolutely see us as a bowl team. We are going to continue to struggle to run it at times, but we can generate enough short yardage type plays from our bubbles/flares/outs/quick hitches to survive ex. MSU game. 

But we HAVE to be able to hold up when he wants to take a shot down field because we have the QB and WR talent to make those plays. 

And, I don't think the sack of Penix against MSU should have even been a sack.  It looked like a designed QB run that got blown up.

The OL, Penix, and DeBoer have done a great job of avoiding sacks.

I'm with you on the run game.  We've done a good enough job with our short, quick passes that it has taken away some of the need for a run game.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

And, I don't think the sack of Penix against MSU should have even been a sack.  It looked like a designed QB run that got blown up.

The OL, Penix, and DeBoer have done a great job of avoiding sacks.

I'm with you on the run game.  We've done a good enough job with our short, quick passes that it has taken away some of the need for a run game.

No... not a designed QB run.. it was that flare/screen we ran couple of times successfully against them that game. MSU played it really well.. but the guys that sacked him weren't blocked on that play because the OL to that side were releasing downfield. So yes.. it's a sack.. but it's not like someone just got beat... which would be way different. 

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm always the optimist when it comes to things, so it isn't that new for me, but the confidence in IU does seem more real this year.  I'm glad to see there are more people jumping on board.

I would love to send their confidence plummeting after this week's game.

I think the difference is that this year, things have been relatively stable. Someone doesn't have to play out of his mind for us to have a chance. We've got a stable full of good horses, with some potentially great ones as opposed to two thoroughbreds, a few decent horses and a barn full of mules, nags and jackasses.

The biggest thing is that the "if" is gone most weeks. Previous optimism was "We can win this game If...". This year, and this week specifically, I find myself thinking "We can win this game. Period."

51 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No... not a designed QB run.. it was that flare/screen we ran couple of times successfully against them that game. MSU played it really well.. but the guys that sacked him weren't blocked on that play because the OL to that side were releasing downfield. So yes.. it's a sack.. but it's not like someone just got beat... which would be way different. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't see the linemen taking off the first time I watched it.

Archived