Favorite Food Combinations ?

milehiiu

51 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

One trip to Detroit, as a teenager, sold me on Detroit style Coney Dogs.

Recipe Sleuth: Detroit Coney Sauce has no Tomatoes

Just last night, happened across this 'Toledo' style coney dog recipe supposedly Rudy's greek style. No tomatoes whatsoever!

https://www.food.com/recipe/greek-hot-dog-sauce-225797#activity-feed

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Bluegill over Walleye? or is that because Walleye are out of season during Morel season?

Walleye are few and far between in my area...but you are correct, I would rather have Walleye or Perch over bluegill.  But I can catch bluegill anytime I want.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Walleye are few and far between in my area...but you are correct, I would rather have Walleye or Perch over bluegill.  But I can catch bluegill anytime I want.

If God ever gives me the wherewithal to actually retire, I'll invite you to come up to the cabin in WI, once known as the walleye capital of the world. Still dang hard to catch though! 

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Chicago sets the bar for everything...Geez.  LOL

Oh that bar tried to be set.  But as is my nature, I just drop-kicked my way through the bar if I didn't like it. 

I throw ketchup alongside mustard on plain dogs, and I concur with the Cincinnati tradition of equal parts coney and cheese. 

14 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Oh I'm aware of that.  Parents are both Chicago natives.  I've always been curious as to how that came to be though. 

Taste. I would imagine.  It's that I don't dislike ketchup. Like it on and along side of things.  And even though I know some like ketchup on their hot dogs.  That... combination has never appealed to me.

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Oh that bar tried to be set.  But as is my nature, I just drop-kicked my way through the bar if I didn't like it. 

I throw ketchup alongside mustard on plain dogs, and I concur with the Cincinnati tradition of equal parts coney and cheese. 

I will say one thing...the "Queen City" knows coney dogs a helluva lot better than Detroit.

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'll add that when I was in the Chicago area two weeks ago for my son's wedding, I suggested Portillo's! Ordered off the main menu a Chili CHEESE dog! Mile if Chicago is so against cheese why was it one of there main menu offerings? 😜

20 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I'll add that when I was in the Chicago area two weeks ago for my son's wedding, I suggested Portillo's! Ordered off the main menu a Chili CHEESE dog! Mile if Chicago is so against cheese why was it one of there main menu offerings? 😜

OH. I love myself some Portillo's.  Guess it's a personal choice.  When I go to Portillos's I can never decide.  Chicago Dog ? Or Italian Beef ?  So, I get both.  Never even considering a Chili Cheese Dog.  It's my personal preference.  Can't argue if you feel other wise.  As Portillo's continues to expand nation wide.  If they ever make it to Colorado, I will try a Portillo's Chili Cheese Dog, based on your recommendation.  Seeing as how it is coming from Portillo's, I am sure it will be good. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

OH. I love myself some Portillo's.  Guess it's a personal choice.  When I go to Portillos's I can never decide.  Chicago Dog ? Or Italian Beef ?  So, I get both.  Never even considering a Chili Cheese Dog.  It's my personal preference.  Can't argue if you feel other wise.  As Portillo's continues to expand nation wide.  If they ever make it to Colorado, I will try a Portillo's Chili Cheese Dog, based on your recommendation.  Seeing as how it is coming from Portillo's, I am sure it will be good. 

Truth be told as we drove up my Son-In-Law a lifelong LA resident commented it looks like a hot dog version of In-N-Out burger. We all ordered Chili Cheese Dogs, afterwards we all agreed, the dogs were good but not that special. Call it sacrilege but maybe the Chicago beef was a better option! Problem was we had Chicago Beef at the reception the night before!  

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Truth be told as we drove up my Son-In-Law a lifelong LA resident commented it looks like a hot dog version of In-N-Out burger. We all ordered Chili Cheese Dogs, afterwards we all agreed, the dogs were good but not that special. Call it sacrilege but maybe the Chicago beef was a better option! Problem was we had Chicago Beef at the reception the night before!  

Have you ever tried Pinks ?  Very famous.  A place that would be on my to do list, if I ever visited L.A.

Pink's Hot Dogs

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Have you ever tried Pinks ?  Very famous.  A place that would be on my to do list, if I ever visited L.A.

Pink's Hot Dogs

Have to say I've never heard it brought up in conversation while in Cali! But in reality while my daughter and family live on the other side of saddleback, it doesn't seem that far from other family members of my Son-In-Law. Maybe, it's in my future. Thanks for the suggestion mile!!

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Have to say I've never heard it brought up in conversation while in Cali! But in reality while my daughter and family live on the other side of saddleback, it doesn't seem that far from other family members of my Son-In-Law. Maybe, it's in my future. Thanks for the suggestion mile!!

Glad to help out. Many famous people, celebrities, actors and actresses have visited Pink's over the years.

How Pink's became Hollywood's hot dog 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived