"Impossible Burger"

rico

5 hours ago, rico said:

I think they are playing the vegetarian/vegan market.

If your business is food or restaurant related...you better have a vegetarian menu or option. If not you'll be missing out on a rapidly growing consumer. My buddy has 14 Jimmy John franchises. After Subway announced a few weeks back they are scrambling at corporate to find an option. Problem there is former CEO is known as a big hunter, wild game type hunter guy. Offering a meatless option would certainly backfire in public.

Just a note to mile or others. Didn't mean to insult or whatever anyone. I'm generally a far right type of guy but when it comes to animals I always look for options to preserve. I'll sign off on this one as I don't want to get close to the magic P word. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If your business is food or restaurant related...you better have a vegetarian menu or option. If not you'll be missing out on a rapidly growing consumer. My buddy has 14 Jimmy John franchises. After Subway announced a few weeks back they are scrambling at corporate to find an option. Problem there is former CEO is known as a big hunter, wild game type hunter guy. Offering a meatless option would certainly backfire in public.

Just a note to mile or others. Didn't mean to insult or whatever anyone. I'm generally a far right type of guy but when it comes to animals I always look for options to preserve. I'll sign off on this one as I don't want to get close to the magic P word. 

Preserve?  You mean the population of said animals that we eat?  

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This part I agree with all day long. It's being advertised as healthier and that is very, very debatable. It's impact on environment/animals/wheat/corn to feed these animals that are the real discussion. Healthier? Not really. Better option for many of things I listed. No brainer.

As a lifelong outdoorsman I do my best to do what I can. Learned in the scouts leave it better than you found it.  As a consumer I try to source as much as I can locally and at farmers markets.  

I think one of, if not the single biggest impact on the increasing cost, across multiple industries and a factor that is ignored in the debate about the environment is Americans consumption of food. Too much volume and low quality.  It leads to increased demand and preventable health problems. 

But anyway, if you haven't heard of it, my wife found a website called misfits market.  They deliver organic produce that is rejected by grocery stores to your door.  We get the small box biweekly for $26.  They have several other options though. Recommend checking it out. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think most vegetarians would Gag at the idea of eating anything that even tastes like meat. To me the market Impossible Burger is going for are the meat eaters that 'think' simply eating a meatless option is healthier than a real burger. Kind of like thinking Diet Coke is healthier than the real stuff. NOT!

If you want healthy drink water. If you want healthy, don't eat processed anything! And like Mama always said "eat your vegetables"!

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Kind of like thinking Diet Coke is healthier than the real stuff.

Your word choice was perfect. People confuse "healthier" with "healthy".

Just because something is a healthier alternative doesn't mean it's good for you. Just better by comparison.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Your word choice was perfect. People confuse "healthier" with "healthy".

Just because something is a healthier alternative doesn't mean it's good for you. Just better by comparison.

And I think the larger point is that the vast majority of the time (such as in the Beyond Meat/Impossible Burger and Diet Coke examples) the alternative isn’t actually healthier, it’s just bad for you in a different way. 

• 4 weeks later...

IMO Impossible Burger=Vaping.....it is marketed as a safe alternative to eating red meat/smoking...when yes it may be healthier in some ways is still dangerous and unhealthy in a whole different set of ways. We live in America...I am all for capitalism...but I hate the miseducation that goes on or is hidden from the public. That is why these companies have to be so careful how they market their commercials etc...because they KNOW they can't make claims like healthier alternative etc....so they just cleverly market it to the uninformed masses by playing to cultural trends or conceptions. They don't say it..they just let your brain assume it because of how society is saying how evil the alternative is...when in reality...the devil just changed his suit.

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

IMO Impossible Burger=Vaping.....it is marketed as a safe alternative to eating red meat/smoking...when yes it may be healthier in some ways is still dangerous and unhealthy in a whole different set of ways. We live in America...I am all for capitalism...but I hate the miseducation that goes on or is hidden from the public. That is why these companies have to be so careful how they market their commercials etc...because they KNOW they can't make claims like healthier alternative etc....so they just cleverly market it to the uninformed masses by playing to cultural trends or conceptions. They don't say it..they just let your brain assume it because of how society is saying how evil the alternative is...when in reality...the devil just changed his suit.

^^^Good post and fwiw I have failed yet to see a salad on a dollar menu at a fast food restaurant.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:01 PM, Drroogh said:

I think most vegetarians would Gag at the idea of eating anything that even tastes like meat.

As a vegetarian since 1971, I certainly have no interest in the 'impossible burger'. I grew up on a livestock and grain farm and had all types of fresh meat, poultry, and vegetables available to me. Growing up around and caring for the animals we were eating eventually led me to be a vegetarian. I knew that I could not kill them so I wasn't going to ask someone else to do it for me. Simple as that.

20 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I knew that I could not kill them so I wasn't going to ask someone else to do it for me. Simple as that.

And that is a stance I can respect.  It's straightforward logic, based on first hand experience and is actually downright honorable.  It's not based on a trend or speculative media. 

31 minutes ago, cthomas said:

As a vegetarian since 1971, I certainly have no interest in the 'impossible burger'. I grew up on a livestock and grain farm and had all types of fresh meat, poultry, and vegetables available to me. Growing up around and caring for the animals we were eating eventually led me to be a vegetarian. I knew that I could not kill them so I wasn't going to ask someone else to do it for me. Simple as that.

I can appreciate that...but do you have anything leather?  I have a reason for asking.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I can appreciate that...but do you have anything leather?  I have a reason for asking.

Yes, I do in terms of belts and shoes. And probably, if I carried my original thought process through to its logical conclusion, I would eliminate those as well. I eat dairy and eggs which can be problematic given the conditions around how those items are produced. I am not trying to stake out a higher moral ground or promote one way of living over another. I simply made a personal decision based on my experiences and try my best live accordingly.

https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/14780-impossible-whopper-lifts-burger-king-to-5-us-comparable-sales-growth

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/28/investing/restaurant-brands-earnings-burger-king-popeyes/index.html

It sounds like Burger King should be very happy with the introduction of the Impossible Whopper. They just had their best quarter in years.

I have been a vegetarian for several years now. I made the change because meats (especially highly processed meats like bacon and pepperoni) have been linked to chronic disease later in life. I went from your basic meat and potatoes guy to a potatoes, veggies, and fruits eater. It helped me lose about 30 pounds. I stopped eating meat to improve my health, but it has also had a very nice side benefit that I wasn't asking others to kill animals for my dinner plate. I feel like cthomas: I wouldn't kill a cow or a chicken for myself, and I feel better not asking someone else to do it for me. Being vegetarian is also more environmentally friendly, because less land needs to be cleared for livestock, and less methane gets put in the air by cows if there is less demand for beef.

I tried the Impossible Burger (although not the Whopper version) about a year or so ago. It does a good job of replicating a meaty texture, if that's what you're after. The way they get it that way is by adding a lot of fat and stuff that isn't good for you. I've probably had 3 or 4 Impossible Burgers since then. A lot of restaurants put a black bean burger on the menu and then think "We've got vegetarians covered!" As a vegetarian, I can tell you that black bean burgers get old if you have them too often. I much prefer pasta with veggies, or veggie fajitas or burritos, or veggie pizza, if given the choice. I think the point of the Impossible Whopper is that it gives vegetarians something that they can eat if you end up at a Burger King. My daughter is also a vegetarian (her choice, and based on not wanting to see animals get hurt), and I can tell you that not having a viable option for vegetarians gets many restaurants removed from the list of options when we go out to eat. If there's nothing viable for me to eat, it's a dealbreaker. So in that sense, what Burger King did makes a lot of sense, even if a lot of their customers will never order an Impossible Whopper.

As for the leather question, I am currently wearing a leather belt. It was bought a year or two ago. Next time I buy a belt, it'll be some sort of non-leather material. Same thing for my shoes. Like in other parts of my life, things are a work in progress. I'm just trying to move things in a direction that I feel good about.

Personally, I am slowly moving to grass fed beef, free range poultry,, and wild caught fish as I believe they are much healthier than their counterparts, Harder to obtain and more expensive as well.

Nice article here- https://www.acefitness.org/education-and-resources/lifestyle/blog/6602/the-health-benefits-of-the-right-kinds-of-meat

This article will make you rethink the cattle / methane argument- http://www.shapingtomorrowsworld.org/wahlquistMethane.html

A few highlights- 

There is a growing body of evidence that it is not simply a case of less meat means less heat.

Another byproduct is a whole new dietary category: kangatarians, people who eat kangaroo but not other red meat, on environmental grounds.

Most of the world’s farmland is grassland. Grasslands fix carbon as they grow; but they have evolved to be eaten. If they were no longer grazed the grasses would grow rank, and stop fixing carbon. And they would in all likelihood burn.

While the UK imports its soybeans from cleared Amazon forest....And soybeans need to be processed, whether into soy milk or tofu, for consumption, and that processing takes energy, and we know what that means. And many who don’t eat beef, do continue to consume dairy products: milk, cheese, yoghurt and ice cream. Which brings us back to cattle. Carbon released by cattle in methane was sequestered just last week, last month, maybe even last year. And within 9 to 15 years, the carbon in that methane will be sequestered again in a plant, perhaps in grass, to go again through the same cycle. Cattle are part of a natural biological cycle. 

All is not what it appears-  or what we are being told. Kind of reminds me of the electric vehicle debate. When you factor in the entire chain, EVs can be worse for the environment than diesel cars. Who would of thunk? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5068585/Some-electric-cars-worse-polluters-petrol-diesel.html

Truer words could not have been spoken! It seems that we are all being SOLD stories from every direction! The worst ones are the ones that take up a cause put blinders on towards any argument and then think anyone who disagrees is evil!

life is a whole lot more than fifty shades of grey!

3 hours ago, cthomas said:

Yes, I do in terms of belts and shoes. And probably, if I carried my original thought process through to its logical conclusion, I would eliminate those as well. I eat dairy and eggs which can be problematic given the conditions around how those items are produced. I am not trying to stake out a higher moral ground or promote one way of living over another. I simply made a personal decision based on my experiences and try my best live accordingly.

Appreciate the response and honest answer.  But I got to be honest myself, no offense, but that reeks of hypocrisy.  To me, you are all in or nothing.

Archived