Nebraska Pregame Thread

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was very pessimistic after Michigan State. Really proud of how they hung in there and won at Maryland, although you could argue that it should not have been close given the terps injuries.. Before the season I marked Nebraska down as a loss. Now I don't expect a win, but it sure seems more possible. 

42 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Has there been any word if Nebraska’s starting QB is going to play or not?

Last I heard..... game time decision.

Editing to add :  After checking the Husker fan boards.  And this is just speculation on their part.  Martinez and his backup may not get the start against Indiana.  Instead freshman McCaffrey who is from Colorado, and who's dad, Ed, played for the Denver Bronco's has been getting more than the normal amount of reps this week. I've seen McCaffrey play as a prepster. He's good.  But I don't think he's ready for our Hoosiers.

Anyway.... just speculation as of today.

26 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Last I heard..... game time decision.

Editing to add :  After checking the Husker fan boards.  And this is just speculation on their part.  Martinez and his backup may not get the start against Indiana.  Instead freshman McCaffrey who is from Colorado, and who's dad, Ed, played for the Denver Bronco's has been getting more than the normal amount of reps this week. I've seen McCaffrey play as a prepster. He's good.  But I don't think he's ready for our Hoosiers.

Anyway.... just speculation as of today.

For us old folk, that's the youngest son of Easy Ed McCaffrey, of Giants/49ers/Broncos fame. 

For the younger crowd, Christian McCaffrey's brother. 

Also, throw Ed and his wife up there with the Zellers in terms of parenting.  4 kids, all of which played/are playing D1 football, and 3 at academic powerhouses: Max (Duke, played against IU in the Pinstripe Bowl), Christian (Stanford), Dylan (Michigan) and Luke (Nebraska)

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

For us old folk, that's the youngest son of Easy Ed McCaffrey, of Giants/49ers/Broncos fame. 

For the younger crowd, Christian McCaffrey's brother. 

Also, throw Ed and his wife up there with the Zellers in terms of parenting.  4 kids, all of which played/are playing D1 football, and 3 at academic powerhouses: Max (Duke, played against IU in the Pinstripe Bowl), Christian (Stanford), Dylan (Michigan) and Luke (Nebraska)

Yep.  Let's also include mom in the sports discussion.  Lisa, was a standout soccer player at Stanford.  And Ed, is   the head football coach at Valor Christian High School, in Highland's Ranch, Colorado. 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yep.  Let's also include mom in the sports discussion.  Lisa, was a standout soccer player at Stanford.  And Ed, is   the head football coach at Valor Christian High School, in Highland's Ranch, Colorado. 

Also, Lisa's dad was Dave Sime, who was an Olympic silver medalist in the 100M and ACC Athlete of the Year in 1956. 

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Also, Lisa's dad was Dave Sime, who was an Olympic silver medalist in the 100M and ACC Athlete of the Year in 1956. 

WIth a bloodline like  he has.  Perhaps we don't want Luke to start against IU.  After all.  We don't want another freshman Phillip Rivers  type of embarrassment.  LOL

9 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

There were many great things about it but getting close with a couple of the assistant coaches gave me complete access to practice and video and I have told the story before that Coach Ellenberger and I were watching defensive possessions from a game and he would fast forward and stop and say Recker will be out of position.  He did it 5 or 6 times and was correct each time. He said Luke Recker is the absolute worst defender he has seen, but his instinct and ability more than make up for it and leadership us in off the ball steals and deflections. Said it drives Knight bonkers 

that's a short drive and knight already has the map

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

WIth a bloodline like  he has.  Perhaps we don't want Luke to start against IU.  After all.  We don't want another freshman Phillip Rivers  type of embarrassment.  LOL

You keep bringing that up about Rivers.  IIRC that is when Cam started Tommy Jones QB.  Put ARE at WR.  The move backfired.

It appears to me, after reading stories out of Nebraska and Indiana. That both coaches are playing the who's gonna start QB game.  In IU's case, Penix has been practicing. But is still "game day".  In Nebraska's case, Martinez has been looking like his old self. But may not be ready to go. And his back up is sure not to start. According to them.  And  third string McCaffrey  may have to be  called in to start.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Did you watch that game?  Back to Nebraska.

I did watch that game.  Why it still sticks in my craw.  Just like the Cleveland State BB tournament game in 1986 still sticks in my craw. 

Agree.  We need to focus on Nebraska. 

Martinez and Penix? Vedral and Ramsey? McCaffrey maybe? Huskers, Hoosiers take QB calls to kickoff | Football | journalstar.com

3 hours ago, rico said:

I am pretty sure that Tommy Jones saw action that game...and that link you posted has an ad-blocker on my end.

Screenshot_20191024-213852.png

Screenshot_20191024-213948.png

Well, you're right in that he did see action, but the only thing the box score indicates is that he had one rush (a sack it sounds like) for -7 yards with no other pass attempts. ARE didn't have any receptions, but had 27 pass attempts and 14 rushing attempts.

Just a blind guess, but either ARE went out for a play with an injury, or it was a busted trick play.

Archived