Nebraska Pregame Thread

4 hours ago, KDB said:

Didn’t want to start a new thread so I’m just gonna put it here.

Enjoyed this piece on Peyton.. We’re lucky to still have him around. 

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/peyton-ramsey-proves-to-be-a-pillar-indiana-can-lean-on-when-in-need

if penix plays, you have to wonder if he will be instructed to run less to protect himself from further injury, and if that will hinder the effectiveness of our offense. as you said, lucky to have ramsey, who has looked like a quality big ten starter

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

I saw that IU team beat Iowa in the last 2-3 minutes of the game.  Harry Gonso to Jade Butcher...ahhh, a thing of beauty.  😁

speaking of iowa, i was at an indiana-iowa game in the late 70's when an indiana receiver got tackled in the open field at the 2 yard line on the last play of the game. that hurt my feeling. turns out it was my last one. i couldn't even enjoy myself at the kegger parties that night

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I love the all black uniforms with any sport. I have often said that it would be so cool for IU to have a set as well.

I would design them to commemorate the USS Indianapolis...

* all jet black jersey w\mat black strips built into the material, front and back

* dark steel grey numbers with metallic crimson red outlines in military font, HOOSIERS on front/player name on back all in dark steel grey in a military font

*all black pants w\ one dark steel grey stripe flanked by double metallic crimson red strips down both sides of pant legs

*dark mat black helmets with metallic crimson red face mask and a dark steel grey block "I" on the helmet trimmed on metallic crimson red

*all black socks w/ all metallic crimson red cleats.......

Have fun with it...I just thought it would look very menacing!!!! JMO   😬

Btw.. I am a huge, huge proponent of QBs running. Whether it's a designed run or not. It's literally the missing dimension we've needed a lot of years. 

Those designed QB runs early in the Maryland game had them on their heels so much. Offense in 2019 (especially in college) .. you're going to see QB runs. Part of it. Have 2 QBs ready. 

Big Ben out for the year, Brees out 6 weeks Foles out 2 months, Darnold was out a month... all of those guys are NOT running QBs nor do they ever get designed runs for them.. you can't call plays with putting your QB in a bubble making plays with their feet are what these kids nowadays are bred to do. (Watson, Mahomes, Winston, Jones, Mayfield, Wilson, Murray, Mariota) 

... and it doesnt mean they're always taking off for a 40 yard run, extending plays, stay alive in the pocket finding a guy open downfield late in a play.... turning a negative play into a positive. 

And yes.. sometimes they do pull the ball on the zone read and slide down for 19 yards like Penix did on the first play of the game Saturday. That's ok. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Btw.. I am a huge, huge proponent of QBs running. Whether it's a designed run or not. It's literally the missing dimension we've needed a lot of years. 

Those designed QB runs early in the Maryland game had them on their heels so much. Offense in 2019 (especially in college) .. you're going to see QB runs. Part of it. Have 2 QBs ready. 

Big Ben out for the year, Brees out 6 weeks Foles out 2 months, Darnold was out a month... all of those guys are NOT running QBs nor do they ever get designed runs for them.. you can't call plays with putting your QB in a bubble making plays with their feet are what these kids nowadays are bred to do. (Watson, Mahomes, Winston, Jones, Mayfield, Wilson, Murray, Mariota) 

... and it doesnt mean they're always taking off for a 40 yard run, extending plays, stay alive in the pocket finding a guy open downfield late in a play.... turning a negative play into a positive. 

And yes.. sometimes they do pull the ball on the zone read and slide down for 19 yards like Penix did on the first play of the game Saturday. That's ok. 

Completely agree.  I think last year was the perfect example.  Once Penix went down, we almost completely stopped having Ramsey keep it on the read.  It hurt our whole offense because teams starting sitting on the RB and not paying much attention to Ramsey.  We would still run the zone read, but he wouldn't keep it, so it was basically just a slow developing hand off every time. He still had a few good scrambles, but his designed runs went to basically zero.  We went into a mode of keeping Ramsey healthy instead of trying to win the game.  His runs per game went from over 10 leading up to the PSU game last year to an average of 7 in the 4 games after that.  Can't play to keep from getting a guy hurt if it is a detriment to the team.

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I have not a problem with a designated QB run.  The only caveat...is that that QB is 100 % healthy. And not just weeks away from coming back from injury. 

I think it depends on the injury.  At this point in the year, very few guys are completely healthy.  If it is something that can be easily aggravated, play it a little safe, but if not, go all in.

9 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I love the all black uniforms with any sport. I have often said that it would be so cool for IU to have a set as well.

I would design them to commemorate the USS Indianapolis...

* all jet black jersey w\mat black strips built into the material, front and back

* dark steel grey numbers with metallic crimson red outlines in military font, HOOSIERS on front/player name on back all in dark steel grey in a military font

*all black pants w\ one dark steel grey stripe flanked by double metallic crimson red strips down both sides of pant legs

*dark mat black helmets with metallic crimson red face mask and a dark steel grey block "I" on the helmet trimmed on metallic crimson red

*all black socks w/ all metallic crimson red cleats.......

Have fun with it...I just thought it would look very menacing!!!! JMO   😬

i hate it. if you keep changing your uniform it becomes a costume. stick with your uniform and make it look cool by winning, like penns st and alabama and michigan. but i'm old that way

5 hours ago, coachv said:

i hate it. if you keep changing your uniform it becomes a costume. stick with your uniform and make it look cool by winning, like penns st and alabama and michigan. but i'm old that way

I absolutely love it

What about OSU, UW, Oregon, UF, Oklahoma, UGA, Clemson? 

Because the last 20 years all of those teams have done way more winning than Michigan has... 

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He is 100% healthy or he wouldnt play. 

Leathernecks just posted above that at this point in the season, very few guys are 100% healthy.  And that is what I am addressing.  We have a guy who has missed games due to injury.  And yes, I know Michael's current issue is not related to what has kept him out of games earlier on.  On top of that, we have some members questioning Michael's ability to stay injury free.  So, with all that, my question is why subject a guy with a track record like that to further injury, by drawing up designated QB runs for him ?

32 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Leathernecks just posted above that at this point in the season, very few guys are 100% healthy.  And that is what I am addressing.  We have a guy who has missed games due to injury.  And yes, I know Michael's current issue is not related to what has kept him out of games earlier on.  On top of that, we have some members questioning Michael's ability to stay injury free.  So, with all that, my question is why subject a guy with a track record like that to further injury, by drawing up designated QB runs for him ?

Because you want to win and that's what our offense does? It has 3 or 4 designed QB runs a game. 

And the first one isnt a true designed QB read. He just keeps the ball if the end closes. 

To not run him would be losing one of his best assets. Literally our offense wouldn't be nearly as effective. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

Out of curiosity, when was the last time we won 3 conference games in a row?

At a quick glance, it looks like 93 was the last time.  We won 4 straight that year.

Here's a mind blowing/depressing stat.  Since then, we have only won 3 or more conference games 7 times, and have won 0, 1, or 2 conference games 18 times.

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Really looking forward to this game. The next game is always the biggest but for me this is one of the biggest I can remember.  If last week was 1 small step for IU this week is agiant leap for IU KIND 

I can't wait for this game.  The first thing I do each morning when I get up is check in here to see if anybody posted since I went to sleep.  So excited for Saturday.

Archived