Nebraska Pregame Thread

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, we have a quarterback unlike any we've had going back to Antwaan, who is dual threat, can put pressure on defenses multiple ways, and makes the team multi-dimensional. Yet we should take away one of his major strengths for fear of him getting injured?

Why bother recruiting a kid like this then, if that's your offensive philosophy?

Let Penix be Penix. If he gets hurt, he at least he's doing so his way. Can't let the fear of injury dictate how he is used.

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

As I have said previously in this thread.  I have absolutely no issue with Michael running as part of a play that breaks down.  Or something he takes upon himself to run. He is super effective that way.  Able to make something out of nothing.  Allow him to do his thing on his own. Just don't put him in danger's way, by calling designated running plays for him. 

agree to disagree

19 hours ago, btownqb said:

Btw.. I am a huge, huge proponent of QBs running. Whether it's a designed run or not. It's literally the missing dimension we've needed a lot of years. 

Those designed QB runs early in the Maryland game had them on their heels so much. Offense in 2019 (especially in college) .. you're going to see QB runs. Part of it. Have 2 QBs ready. 

Big Ben out for the year, Brees out 6 weeks Foles out 2 months, Darnold was out a month... all of those guys are NOT running QBs nor do they ever get designed runs for them.. you can't call plays with putting your QB in a bubble making plays with their feet are what these kids nowadays are bred to do. (Watson, Mahomes, Winston, Jones, Mayfield, Wilson, Murray, Mariota) 

... and it doesnt mean they're always taking off for a 40 yard run, extending plays, stay alive in the pocket finding a guy open downfield late in a play.... turning a negative play into a positive. 

And yes.. sometimes they do pull the ball on the zone read and slide down for 19 yards like Penix did on the first play of the game Saturday. That's ok. 

Bumping this because it's so good it needs to be seen again.  

4 hours ago, SteveS said:

I was at that game, it was 87 and everyone knew that the winner was going to the Rose Bowl. Andre Rison torched us that day, but I had a great time in East Lansing (what I remember of it).

Blake Ezor torched us in that game...

2 hours ago, coachv said:

who did he bring in? i'm sorry i did not take his class. how many students were in the class? what were exams like?

D wayne lucas, tony Larussa bill parcells with then nobody asst coach Belichick,  brought some.pics of w fishing trip with Knight George Hw Bush and Ted Williams,  about 30 students no test just w notebook that needed to be perfect.  Miss 1 class best you could do was a C miss 2 automatically gonna flunk 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

D wayne lucas, tony Larussa bill parcells with then nobody asst coach Belichick,  brought some.pics of w fishing trip with Knight George Hw Bush and Ted Williams,  about 30 students no test just w notebook that needed to be perfect.  Miss 1 class best you could do was a C miss 2 automatically gonna flunk 

Never took his class. It was before my time at IU. However, I did hear about those he brought to class.  Knew he, and LaRussa were close.  Bush is a surprise to me. But not unexpected in that both loved baseball. And Ted Williams.  Just wow.

Wish I was a student when you were. Assured... I would not have ever missed a class !

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:25 PM, btownqb said:

Btw.. I am a huge, huge proponent of QBs running. Whether it's a designed run or not. It's literally the missing dimension we've needed a lot of years. 

Those designed QB runs early in the Maryland game had them on their heels so much. Offense in 2019 (especially in college) .. you're going to see QB runs. Part of it. Have 2 QBs ready. 

Big Ben out for the year, Brees out 6 weeks Foles out 2 months, Darnold was out a month... all of those guys are NOT running QBs nor do they ever get designed runs for them.. you can't call plays with putting your QB in a bubble making plays with their feet are what these kids nowadays are bred to do. (Watson, Mahomes, Winston, Jones, Mayfield, Wilson, Murray, Mariota) 

... and it doesnt mean they're always taking off for a 40 yard run, extending plays, stay alive in the pocket finding a guy open downfield late in a play.... turning a negative play into a positive. 

And yes.. sometimes they do pull the ball on the zone read and slide down for 19 yards like Penix did on the first play of the game Saturday. That's ok. 

I played football all through school but I am hardly an x's and o's guy on these sorts of things. Just what I see with my own eyes but when your qb runs it means a man on the defense has to account for him. If that takes a guy out of the box/committing to the rb it means you don't have to block and one less man to beat to get to the second level and in the passing game it takes someone out of dropping in the secondary or blitzing. At least from what I've seen. You beat a team with some runs a few times and they have to back off. Also....nothing nothing more deflating than blanketing the wrs and having a team on 3rd and long or something and the qb scrambling and converting first downs. Now in the NFL when you want a franchise qb that you are paying 15% of your cap and suppose to last 15 years sure you don't want to risk him out there running around as much. But college...shoot....let them run! You just make sure you are developing young guys behind him that can step in and play....a la Ramsey.

7 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

so jealous. i didn't even know he had a class until my senior year

7 hours ago, coachv said:

so jealous. i didn't even know he had a class until my senior year

There were many great things about it but getting close with a couple of the assistant coaches gave me complete access to practice and video and I have told the story before that Coach Ellenberger and I were watching defensive possessions from a game and he would fast forward and stop and say Recker will be out of position.  He did it 5 or 6 times and was correct each time. He said Luke Recker is the absolute worst defender he has seen, but his instinct and ability more than make up for it and leadership us in off the ball steals and deflections. Said it drives Knight bonkers 

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Never took his class. It was before my time at IU. However, I did hear about those he brought to class.  Knew he, and LaRussa were close.  Bush is a surprise to me. But not unexpected in that both loved baseball. And Ted Williams.  Just wow.

Wish I was a student when you were. Assured... I would not have ever missed a class !

Never miss and always be at least 15 min early. He would lock the doors.  He also went off on a guy who wore a hat in class. No hats no ear rings. To quote coach, " it's my way or get the F out of my sight"

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

There were many great things about it but getting close with a couple of the assistant coaches gave me complete access to practice and video and I have told the story before that Coach Ellenberger and I were watching defensive possessions from a game and he would fast forward and stop and say Recker will be out of position.  He did it 5 or 6 times and was correct each time. He said Luke Recker is the absolute worst defender he has seen, but his instinct and ability more than make up for it and leadership us in off the ball steals and deflections. Said it drives Knight bonkers 

I remember reporters just glowingly commenting after games about how this player or that performed so well scoring a bunch of points or something and IU thumped someone and Knight just ripping the player saying the exact same thing...he was out of position or his defense stunk etc etc. Then he would go on to say something wonderful about a kid that had scored like two buckets but played a sound all around game. I loved that about him because it just proved a point that "most" reporters just looked at the stat line or didn't watch the WHOLE game...weren't focused on the little things etc. Why Knight had such disdain because they couldn't appreciate or recognize the game within the game.

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

He’s like a Math teacher, yes that’s the right result but you didn’t do it the correct way. 

Archived