Nebraska Pregame Thread

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

ARE was a one of a kind. First D-1 player to pass for 40 TD's, and score 40 rushing TD's. Let's not forget that in addition to that, Coach Knight welcomed ARE onto his basketball team as well.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

And drafted out of HS for baseball

And finished behind *deep breath* Eric Crouch, Rex Grossman, Ken Dorsey, Joey Harrington and David Carr in the Heisman voting.  The hell were all of them watching.  Finishing 2nd behind Eric Crouch, ok.  I wouldn't agree, but I could see the argument.  But the next 4.....yeah, no. 

As to the argument over who was better, well consider this......ARE has more NFL passing TDs in the playoffs than all of them except Grossman, and even then it's only 4-1. 

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

And finished behind *deep breath* Eric Crouch, Rex Grossman, Ken Dorsey, Joey Harrington and David Carr in the Heisman voting.  The hell were all of them watching.  Finishing 2nd behind Eric Crouch, ok.  I wouldn't agree, but I could see the argument.  But the next 4.....yeah, no. 

As to the argument over who was better, well consider this......ARE has more NFL passing TDs in the playoffs than all of them except Grossman, and even then it's only 4-1. 

That was an absolute sham...but he played for a loser.

Could you imagine ARE playing behind Nebs OL at the time. My god. 

Or in these spread offense. 

6 minutes ago, rico said:

That was an absolute sham...but he played for a loser.

If the world were fair, IU would have at least one Heisman winner.  Put Anthony Thompson or ARE in any one of two dozen other uniforms and at least one of them would have won it going away, if not both of them. 

If the world were fair, IU would have at least one Heisman winner.  Put Anthony Thompson or ARE in any one of two dozen other uniforms and at least one of them would have won it going away, if not both of them. 

You forgot about Vaughn Dunbar....but yeah.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

You forgot about Vaughn Dunbar....but yeah.

Dunbar is kind of in the same level as Tevin Coleman.  Really, really good season and career, but probably weren't going to win it even if they played for someone else.  Detmer and Howard both had legitimately good years in '91, and Gordon was a half step ahead of Tevin all year in '14.

4 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I had 9-3, though I predicted we'd beat OSU (oops!) and Michigan with losses to MSU, PSU, and Neb.  I'd be happy to switch Neb for OSU!

Regardless, I'd still be thrilled with a 7-5 season.  Really anything beyond bowl eligibility is just icing on the cake.

If the team is half as pumped to play this game as we all are to watch it, I sense good things in store!

i can't concur with "anything beyond bowl eligibility is icing...". finishing 6-6 with a bowl loss would be a dismal failure at this point. losing 5 of the last 6 would kill all the warm and fuzzy. it would also mean a loss to purdue

20 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Pretty sure Anthony Thompson wound up second or close to that in the Heisman voting.  Can't help but think. Had he played for any other major D-1 school, he would have come home with the trophy.

18 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Or in any type of offense other than "Hey Antwaan....uhhh.....when you're not running for your life, get the ball in the end zone."

Been following IUFB since the John Pont days. In my humble opinion, AWE and The A Train are by far the most impressive players IU has ever had and it's not even close.  AT had the luxury of playing on a winning team and had a great career.  AWE had the misfortune of playing for the Indiana Losers.  However, win or lose, AWE was the most electrifying player I have personally ever seen.  I would show up just to watch him when he was playing!  His play alone was worth the price of admission regardless of the final score. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Pretty sure Anthony Thompson wound up second or close to that in the Heisman voting.  Can't help but think. Had he played for any other major D-1 school, he would have come home with the trophy.

Yep, finished 2nd to *cough, gag* Andre Ware. 

12 minutes ago, coachv said:

i can't concur with "anything beyond bowl eligibility is icing...". finishing 6-6 with a bowl loss would be a dismal failure at this point. losing 5 of the last 6 would kill all the warm and fuzzy. it would also mean a loss to purdue

We're Indiana.  Playing in a bowl can't be considered a "dismal failure".  "Dissapointing"? Yes.  Should have been better? Yes.  "Dismal failure"? No. 

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I haven't read the entire thread but minus the BS game at Washington on 2 horrible calls in 4th quarter Dorsey was leading the greatest ever collective talent college football teams ever. If it wasn't for the Washington game and BS Terry Porter call vs Ohio St.....Dorsey would have been lead qb for a team that should have won 3 straight titles. 

I agree with you on the others but dismissing Dorsey as some also ran is a tad off. Just my 2 cents.

I sat in the Wisconsin stadium when AT ran over the Badger defense. My son and I were maybe the only ones cheering that day.

I also took a phone call the day ARE demolished Wisconsin up at Camp Randall. At first I thought the reception on my phone was bad. Couldn’t believe what I was hearing 

Both were great days for the Hoosiers. Hopefully, tomorrow is as well 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Dorsey was leading the greatest ever collective talent college football teams ever.

That's the double edged sword. That roster didn't need an elite QB to win. How much was Dorsey and how much was the roster?

Dorsey was a pretty good QB, but you could unplug him and plug in a number of other QBs and things would stay the same. Put Patrick Ramsey or Harrington in his place and things don't change all that much.

Archived