Secret Scrimmage

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IUFLA said:

So looking at the stat sheet, it appears we pounded it inside (only shot 10 3s) got fouled a lot (43 FTAs) and only shot 60% from the line. 

I like the approach. We shoot 17 more FTs than our opponents, we're going to win a lot of those games.

Shades of Coach Knight.  When IU made more FT's than the other guys shot.  Just have got to up our FT percentage.  And we will be there.  Also.... think of why.  Why IU was able to get to the FT line more.  Got to make 'em.  However getting to the line is a positive in my mind.

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So looking at the stat sheet, it appears we pounded it inside (only shot 10 3s) got fouled a lot (43 FTAs) and only shot 60% from the line. 

I like the approach. We shoot 17 more FTs than our opponents, we're going to win a lot of those games.

If we would have went 32-43 which is not great but we would have won the game.  Like coach said if we had RP and Green in their and taking more of the free throws we would probably shot  a better percentage.  The only reason I am a little worried about what we shot at the line is that it has been a problem the last two years.  What I liked was that we shot 43 free throws because that shows we were aggressive and went inside or drove to the basket.

3 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Just posting a few things. 
Spoke with a pair of guys at the scrimmage and a few others who spoke with others who were there. Hopefully that makes sense. 

Just passing a few things along: 
- Devonte, Rob, Deron have a few small things wrong. Nothing major. Deron did play but I was told all three are good to go if IU had a real game. Between the three of them we have a muscle pull, a slight sprain/ strain and a bruise. None of it is major. And I'm not concerned. And I was told there's no reason to be concerned. 
- I've always been high on Armaan. And that goes without my pro-Cathedral bias. I found him to be a ready, willing and athletic defender who has enough "f**k you" mindset to get on the floor sooner than later. His offensive game won't be a huge part of what IU's doing but his defense, feel & IQ should be reasons he'll get more time than maybe some expected. This didn't mean that I loved him and I was some prophet. Just that I really liked his game and I think it translates well. If he can improve his decision-making ON-ball, keep kicking *** on defense and stay active off-ball (where I think he's really good) then he can be a really, really good piece. Both this year and moving forward. 
- As for Armaan in the scrimmage: He really worked on Howard. Without Rob and DG, he made him work quite a bit. Sounds like he did really, really well. Al had something come up, so Armaan was IU's only guard the last 8-9 minutes. The fact the scrimmage was tied within a minute, and IU was missing arguably three starters (RP, DG, AD) in the last 8-9 minutes I think speaks very, very highly of Armaan. 
- Marquette's two primary post players, Theo John and Ed Morrow, played a combined 47 minutes and hit three shots inside the arc. Joey, Deron and Trayce did really well to prevent those guys from doing just about anything. 
- I heard Race played REALLY hard. IU wasn't asking him to score and that won't ever be his job. But he mucked it up, rebounded and played within himself. Staff was super impressed with his contributions. 
- Free-Throws: I had a lot of people complain about this in Twitter replies. I suppose those who thought IU's percentage sucked are within their right. That's fine. But when your starting backcourt isn't in there and you are getting fouled that much... you are going to have guys at the FT line who aren't nearly as good at it as others. Al Durham was trekked in a host of workouts at 91%. The fact he was 6-8 was probably a disappointment to himself. Rob and Devonte presumably would shoot at a good enough %, in place of those who were at the line (*Damezi*) where it wouldn't have been a big deal. I'm not excusing the %. But if that's the first thing you look at talk about it given the actual context of what occurred... That says a lot about you. (Done venting). 
- Overall, it went really, really well. IU had guys put in an uncomfortable position and guys were forced to play certain roles they either haven't been asked to do yet or they are new to IU. The three newcomers more than held their own. 

I was told Indiana was very happy about how it all went and there's a lot to gain from it. 

Take it FWIW. 

Go Hoosiers!

did you get to attend the scrimmage? care to share your history with the program which gets you access? appreciate it 

Good info. Armaan and Al looked to have played a good game! Glad Jerome got some run and hopefully can continue to knock the rust off. 5-10 from 3pt line..not bad at all! Too many turnovers but without our two primary ball handlers to be expected and yes horrible ft%. All in all encouraging. I think both teams will be bubble teams so nice to see we held our own and even had a lead late in the game. Thanks for the info guys!!!

24 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Jerome still getting used to game speed. Conditioning now isn't what it will be in a few weeks. 

Trayce did very well defensively. 

Thank god we have have 7 cupcakes at home to help integrate everybody together. 

No reason not to go into Madison 8-0. Or 7-1. Hopefully with Jerome up to game speed we can take out FSU

9 hours ago, coachv said:

did you get to attend the scrimmage? care to share your history with the program which gets you access? appreciate it 

People who have been members of this community understand SS’s positioning in basketball and can vouch for him. Some people are able to share insight here with impunity because their reliability is generally proven.

Read the Milw press article and viewed the Marquette version of video highlights.

Couple of things:

1. Our defense is a long way from where it needs to be. Too many easy buckets for them without being contested.
  2. Surprised that Brunk and Smith got beat several times. Might not be their fault, due to poor help defense, but still...
  3. We lost the scrimmage on a last few seconds 4 point play, which means to me, somebody fouled a 3 point shooter at the end. The MU guy was 6-8, so I assume (maybe not correctly) it was one of our forwards.

If we can improve our defense (and I think we will) and continue to work on CAM's version of motion offense, we should be pretty good.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Talking to Aaron henry's dad this morning here at work and he said MSU got rolled against Gonzaga out in Denver.  I think he said the score was like 106-89 or something like that.

Yeah they got throttled but it looked like they limited some of their players minutes more than Gonzaga did. 

Archived