Secret Scrimmage

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

If IU's defense is a long way off, so is Marquette's shooting. 😂😂😂

You might be right, but they did score 72 points on us. But since Devonte & Rob didn't play, I'll give them an extra 7. Rob certainly would have put some more pressure on Howard. 🤩

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Exactly. And, we're not saying he can't be an extremely valuable and important/impactful player to this team. But, as we all know coaching is about putting people in the right position to succeed, and unless he's improved drastically in many of those areas, then IMO (though as someone said yesterday Archie's opinion is all that matters) the best position for Justin Smith to thrive, succeed and impact the team is as a forward where he's setting screens, slashing to the basket, and finishing. A guy that defends like crazy, hits the boards, runs the floor as a receiver, not a ball handler, and finishes plays with his athleticism. 

I don't think putting in in a position to create plays with ball handling, passing and decision making in traffic is putting him in a position to succeed and help the team, again unless he's improved dramatically, which is possible. 

And CAM's quoted comments on Smith the other day were pretty much dead on with this sentiment. 

23 minutes ago, DWB said:

You might be right, but they did score 72 points on us. But since Devonte & Rob didn't play, I'll give them an extra 7. Rob certainly would have put some more pressure on Howard. 🤩

IMO, 72 is nothing in this kind of setting.  Look at how many points Gonzaga ran up on MSU.

37 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And CAM's quoted comments on Smith the other day were pretty much dead on with this sentiment. 

Regarding Smith I will make this prediction,  that this will be his last season at IU.  I made these predictions for 3 other  players before their junior year VO, Troy and JBJ and for some reason I am getting that same feeling with Smith.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Regarding Smith I will make this prediction,  that this will be his last season at IU.  I made these predictions for 3 other  players before their junior year VO, Troy and JBJ and for some reason I am getting that same feeling with Smith.

If DA is #10 or 11 in the rotation I would almost guarantee a transfer for him with what we have coming in.   He needs to shoot lights out if has any chance of staying here.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Everyone knows this is my favorite topic, so I'll jump in 😀.

For those that think Smith is a 3 (really a wing), how comfortable are you with him spending 20+ minutes per game in a role where he is coming off ball screens to penetrate, make decisions with the ball, handle it in traffic and be a play creator offensively? Not someone finishing from slashing to the hoop, but someone handling the ball off ball screens and being a decision maker with the ball in traffic and whether or not to shoot, penetrate or deliver it to the slashers. Because, that is what the wing (or 3) is responsible for. 

This is why so many of us are adamant that he's not a 3. Being a "3" isn't just shooting from the perimeter when you're open, it's being one of the core play creators and ball handlers. It's being a decision maker with the ball and a decision maker in traffic. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if he has improved in all of these areas and is capable of it. That would be great. But, not only has he not shown these skills yet, he's actually shown he's pretty bad at those skills. 

Totally comfortable with Justin at the 3. In fact I encourage it. 

Signed, Justin’s Dad

3 hours ago, zerawkid said:

I do have a working understanding of what his connections are, but I won’t presume to answer for someone else. 

Here’s my suggestion: rather than rabble rouse in the middle of a topic about another member’s qualifications to comment on certain things, if you truly want to know, shoot him a PM. It’s up to him to decide whether he wants to share with you, and the thread doesn’t run the risk of turning into a pissing match.

who is rabble rousing? just want to know what his connections are. why would you get upset over that?

2 minutes ago, coachv said:

who is rabble rousing? just want to know what his connections are. why would you get upset over that?

Hoping to put an end to this. Just to say that Sam has been a friend of Hoosier Sports Nation for many years now.  And a well respected AAU coach with connections to IUBB, the state of Indiana. As well as Illinois.  He does not have to share with us. However, we are honored when he does.

We once had a member... Birdman was his user name.  Who also was connected, as an AAU coach. At one time.  Who  later became,  the HC at Crispus Attucks.

I would say of Coach SS, as I did of Birdman.  When he speaks...... it is best to listen. 

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hoping to put an end to this. Just to say that Sam has been a friend of Hoosier Sports Nation for many years now.  And a well respected AAU coach with connections to IUBB, the state of Indiana. As well as Illinois.  He does not have to share with us. However, we are honored when he does.

We once had a member... Birdman was his user name.  Who also was connected, as an AAU coach. At one time.  Who  later became,  the HC at Crispus Attucks.

I would say of Coach SS, as I did of Birdman.  When he speaks...... it is best to listen. 

which team does he coach, elite? as we all know, lots of people come on fan sites and claim all manner of inside knowledge. most are eventually exposed as liars. when people make claims, i ask. i don't accuse. if they refuse to answer i disregard their claims. no skin off anyone's back. occasionally there are insiders who come on fan sites and reveal themselves or prove themselves and i follow their comments more closely. 

dakich has made a few appearances here or elsewhere. another football forum was frequented last season by a recent team alumnus. i think it was the murphy kid whose dad is president of the packers, although i couldn't pull it out of him. yogi's mom, tracy smith's wife (which i found out the hard way), and others i assume. not all feel the need to remain secretive. 

8 minutes ago, coachv said:

i am not accountable for your mistaken interpretation 

I read it the same way. Your insistence that SS explain his connections, I think in no fewer than four posts in this thread, read as someone who was at least moderately skeptical.

You can claim there were misinterpretations made by myself and bluegrass, but I think we have pretty decent cause for making educated assumptions about your intent.

In the future, as per my earlier suggestion, rather than making a public show of it, reach out privately to the individual in question rather than dressing him down for all to observe.

CoachSS is very open about his links and who he is. Sam Story...SS. He has been involved with basketball in Indiana for years. I value his opinions and insight. While no one is correct all the time, Sam has a pretty good record around here. He is an available and valuable member and I appreciate him giving us some insight.

HSN has quite a few coaches that post or lurk here along with players and family members. I think they value the civil atmosphere and usually high quality debate. I think we get so used to it we forget that not everyone knows who these members actually are and their backgrounds. 

Coachv didn't know Sam's history so I understand his hesitancy to trust some guy on the interwebs. 

Coachv, I ask that you keep an open mind here and trust most people. You may be surprised at who you are disagreeing with. 🙂

1 hour ago, coachv said:

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

T-O-N-E

1 hour ago, coachv said:

i am not accountable for your mistaken interpretation 

Perfect example of being tone-deaf.  It's your call on how you post here, but you'll definitely get pushback posting like this.

Sam is and always has been an asset to Hoosier Sports Nation.  Much like The Daily Hoosier and so many others have and are.  We are fortunate, that they have chosen HSN to share with us.  I know many of you feel the same as do I about what I consider to be very special members of our board.

8 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Given the fact that Armaan seems like he'll be ready sooner than later I'm expecting a 3 guard lineup when Jerome is not on the court.

Yes. This is why I also think Jordan will contribute right away for us too. Both take their defense very seriously and if you are willing to put in the work at that you can carve out time. My big concern is will Armaan surpass Damezi on the depth chart. I'm still waiting for Damezi to break out...I've seen him play...I know he has it in him. Would hate to see his shooting come together after he transfers or something. Not that he will but it could be concerning. That said I too agree there is more of a chance to see Rob, Green, and Al/Armaan then say Smith at the 3 once the season gets going past the first few games.

4 hours ago, coachv said:

People always do this on the internet. Tell me your sources..who are you! The thing is coachss has always been open and clear about who he is and how closely he follows the program. Perhaps if you have concerns with someone you privately reach out to them instead of trying to put them on blast. Otherwise you will very quickly wear out your welcome and be put on ignore. We have had issues in the past with people harassing those with sources with the program and EVERYONE loses when those people are run off or choose to stay silent because of people giving them grief. Heck sometimes their sources are even wrong or thought a recruit would say yes and it doesn't happen but that doesn't mean the information isn't valuable to the rest of us. There is a reason people come to this site for IU info...and there is a reason why the other sites quote people on THIS site....let's be appreciative of that and keep it that way. Thanks!!

Archived