Pre-Season AP Top 25 Poll

KDB

• KDB changed the title to Pre-Season AP Top 25 Poll

Agree that Maryland is a bit high, but I think they are definitely a top 25 team. 

If Michigan finishes higher than us at the end of the season I'll eat my shoe and declare Juwan Howard the second coming of...of...of...of I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO because I can't think of a guy with absolutely no coaching experience being successful in his first year! 

And I don't understand the IL love. I just think they are the sexy pick right now - a bandwagon that all the analysts are jumping onto because they don't know who else from the Big Ten to put there. It's safety in numbers. If Illinois does bad then at the end of the season they can use the excuse: everybody else thought they were going to be good....who woulda thunk it?  

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It disgusts me to see us listed behind 7 other B1G teams.   Hopefully we get that righted this season. 

I agree, but being behind 7 SEC teams is far worse when you live in the heart of the South East Conference!! The fans here don't even know when their own teams are ranked! My Boss, FORCED himself to watch half of an Auburn game last year after I told him his Al Ma Mater was in the big dance!

8 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I agree, but being behind 7 SEC teams is far worse when you live in the heart of the South East Conference!! The fans here don't even know when their own teams are ranked! My Boss, FORCED himself to watch half of an Auburn game last year after I told him his Al Ma Mater was in the big dance!

I get it. I have SEC in laws. 

13 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I get it. I have SEC in laws. 

And  don't get me wrong, it's not that people down here aren't wonderful people! They just don't GET basketball! "Bless Their Heart"! Hope you get along with your In-Laws as well as I get along with my boss!!!

35 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

And  don't get me wrong, it's not that people down here aren't wonderful people! They just don't GET basketball! "Bless Their Heart"! Hope you get along with your In-Laws as well as I get along with my boss!!!

I do, but it chapped me that they didn’t bother to watch their school’s team until they were good last year, then it was all they could talk about. Of course, there is a reason they got so good so fast.  It’s part of the reason I hope the NCAA drops the hammer.  

For me the REAL underlying disgust of the SEC teams being ranked ahead of IU, is that it has become quit clear the well known "SEC RUNNERS" (that most everyone in SEC land discusses as why their team isn't as good as the other SEC football TEAM!?!?) The RUNNERS seem to have figured out that they can make as much money in NCAA Basketball as they do in Football! Doesn't matter if the fans don't care! 

I've given up on the NCAA cleaning things up, now I'm actually thinking of supporting the California imitative! Imagine if IU a clean program no longer had to recruit against the RUNNERS as all players get some sort of compensation! IU could go back to recruiting based on coaching, development, exposure (definitely not a plus in the SEC) Tradition!

After all that I'm still Befuddled!

8 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Agree that Maryland is a bit high, but I think they are definitely a top 25 team. 

If Michigan finishes higher than us at the end of the season I'll eat my shoe and declare Juwan Howard the second coming of...of...of...of I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO because I can't think of a guy with absolutely no coaching experience being successful in his first year! 

And I don't understand the IL love. I just think they are the sexy pick right now - a bandwagon that all the analysts are jumping onto because they don't know who else from the Big Ten to put there. It's safety in numbers. If Illinois does bad then at the end of the season they can use the excuse: everybody else thought they were going to be good....who woulda thunk it?  

I expect UM will do well this year. My theory is that a coach the replaces an excellent coach will do well their first couple of years; the team will have the lingering echo of the previous regime... see for example Davis at IU. After that they will return to whatever level the new coach provides.

58 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I expect UM will do well this year. My theory is that a coach the replaces an excellent coach will do well their first couple of years; the team will have the lingering echo of the previous regime... see for example Davis at IU. After that they will return to whatever level the new coach provides.

Man, I don’t know. They lost Poole, Matthews and Brazdeikis. 

and while you make a good point about Davis, he had 8 years of college coaching experience and he was a head coach in the CBA. Howard has not coached one college game. Not one. College players are way different from the NBA players he coached as an assistant for the last 4 or 5 years. Not saying he can’t learn but that learning curve will be big. I will be extremely impressed if he can make the tournament this year. I’ll even be impressed if he finishes above .500 in the big ten. 

37 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Man, I don’t know. They lost Poole, Matthews and Brazdeikis. 

and while you make a good point about Davis, he had 8 years of college coaching experience and he was a head coach in the CBA. Howard has not coached one college game. Not one. College players are way different from the NBA players he coached as an assistant for the last 4 or 5 years. Not saying he can’t learn but that learning curve will be big. I will be extremely impressed if he can make the tournament this year. I’ll even be impressed if he finishes above .500 in the big ten. 

He did bring in Phil Martelli as an assistant coach. If he listens to Phil, he might learn quickly enough to do ok this year.

Archived