Is this Coach Millers team?

Drroogh

Reading some of the prognosticators disrespect of IU in this upcoming season, my ever churning mind brought me to the Titled question!

My mind followed up with the thought that Coach Miller took a team with no one over 6'8" and none of them ranked in the top 100 coming out of high school to the Elite Eight! That was HIS TEAM!

If this is HIS TEAM, I'm thinking the prognosticators are all wrong! Hope I'm right!

Question still remains, is this coach Millers team?

I would have to say the majority of the players are his team. They appear to have "bought in". There is one exception that comes to my mind, but I'll let that be.

But even though I want outstanding play night in and night out, it's unlikely that we'll get that on a consistent basis. We'll have flashes of brilliance, and we'll probably have some WTF's...

I suspect we're all anxious as hell to get a team that can, and does compete with anybody. And by the end of the year, we may become that team. Dominating another Top 25 team is unrealistic IMO, even though I want it so bad I can taste it.

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

I would have to say the majority of the players are his team. They appear to have "bought in". There is one exception that comes to my mind, but I'll let that be.

But even though I want outstanding play night in and night out, it's unlikely that we'll get that on a consistent basis. We'll have flashes of brilliance, and we'll probably have some WTF's...

I suspect we're all anxious as hell to get a team that can, and does compete with anybody. And by the end of the year, we may become that team. Dominating another Top 25 team is unrealistic IMO, even though I want it so bad I can taste it.

I'm as befuddled as you! Still wonder if sweeping MSU last year was an anomaly or a portend of great things to come? A sweep of the preseason number one again this year while doubtful, would bring joy to my heart!!

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

What I want to see most out of this team is effort and toughness every game. Too often last year the team played soft and didn't respond well to adversity. It improved late in the year, but they still had some games that they didn't come out of the gate with intensity (Ohio St., "cough, cough")

11 minutes ago, DWB said:

Wouldn't be nice to see all the guys play with the intensity that McBob had? We'd be a real force to contend with.

Do you see this as being an outcropping of this possibly being Coach Millers team, if so do you see this as potentially something to look forward to, maybe not this year, but in years to come?

This is from an interview with Archie in 2015. It's insightful and I think consistent with what we are seeing with the team's construction.

CBS Sports: Your program has won five NCAA Tournament games in the last two seasons, which was highlighted by a run to the Elite Eight in 2014. Have you even surpassed your own expectations as to what you thought was possible to accomplish here by the end of your fourth year?

Miller: I don't know if it's a matter of surpassing our expectations. I think the expectation has always been to be a team that competes at the top of our conference and has an opportunity to play in the NCAA Tournament and make those runs. To be able to do that and sustain it year after year. That was the question when we first got here and then we got in the tournament in our third year after replacing literally 14 guys in our first two years just due to graduation and turnover. That's the thing that made me the most proud -- we were able to install our style and belief and develop some guys along the way.

We recruited to our system and we had a breakthrough. The amazing run to the Elite Eight was one of those things that gets you to believe that it can happen. The wins we had in the tournament during that run really translated to those guys being able to play at the highest stage and I thought that set us up for the next year and being ready to go again. I felt like Jordan Sibert was much more set up for a player of the year type of year. Our sophomore class -- all three of those guys were going to play heavy, heavy minutes and also all three of those guys were on the floor against Florida in the Elite Eight. To me, the continuity and being able to sustain it are big things and I think as we go into our fifth season the recruiting style is there, the system is in place, and now we have our upperclassmen holding the torch for us. I think our culture is best when players are playing to win and to get better. That's what we have here now.

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This is from an interview with Archie in 2015. It's insightful and I think consistent with what we are seeing with the team's construction.

CBS Sports: Your program has won five NCAA Tournament games in the last two seasons, which was highlighted by a run to the Elite Eight in 2014. Have you even surpassed your own expectations as to what you thought was possible to accomplish here by the end of your fourth year?

Miller: I don't know if it's a matter of surpassing our expectations. I think the expectation has always been to be a team that competes at the top of our conference and has an opportunity to play in the NCAA Tournament and make those runs. To be able to do that and sustain it year after year. That was the question when we first got here and then we got in the tournament in our third year after replacing literally 14 guys in our first two years just due to graduation and turnover. That's the thing that made me the most proud -- we were able to install our style and belief and develop some guys along the way.

We recruited to our system and we had a breakthrough. The amazing run to the Elite Eight was one of those things that gets you to believe that it can happen. The wins we had in the tournament during that run really translated to those guys being able to play at the highest stage and I thought that set us up for the next year and being ready to go again. I felt like Jordan Sibert was much more set up for a player of the year type of year. Our sophomore class -- all three of those guys were going to play heavy, heavy minutes and also all three of those guys were on the floor against Florida in the Elite Eight. To me, the continuity and being able to sustain it are big things and I think as we go into our fifth season the recruiting style is there, the system is in place, and now we have our upperclassmen holding the torch for us. I think our culture is best when players are playing to win and to get better. That's what we have here now.

Thank You!!!!!

25 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Do you see this as being an outcropping of this possibly being Coach Millers team, if so do you see this as potentially something to look forward to, maybe not this year, but in years to come?

While I think it could happen this year, that's probably not realistic on my part. No doubt I and probably most people want it to happen this year. But realistically next year is when we could make a huge leap forward. Kind of like development of freshman to jr's. (or so they say).

I listened to Rabjohn's interview with the HH guys. He probably has seen more HS and D1 basketball than all of us combined, AND he has gotten to see it thru being taught by coaches, rather than just fans. He had some incredible insights that coaches shared with him in recruiting players.

I think this team is getting closer and closer to his type of team. Guys like Rob, Armaan, Al, Trayce, and Brunk I think really identify with the attitude and heart they pay with. Hopefully it rubs off on the rest. I think before long though we will have a whole team of those guys and I look forward to that!

Archived