Sports announcers

IU Scott

While watching Monday night football this year it made me realize that their is no longer a mystique around Monday night football.  It got me thinking about why sports use to have a mystique around them and it usually had to do with who was announcing the games.  When you heard the voices of Keith Jackson, Pat Summerall, Dick Enberg, the crew for Monday night football you knew it was a big game.  There are a few from that era that is still out there in Bob Costas, Al Micheals and even Marve Albert.  My question once those guys leave announcing is there any announcers today that makes you think it is a big game hearing their voice.  Another one I remember making me think that was Brent Mushberger on NFL today saying you are looking live when the show was coming on.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

While watching Monday night football this year it made me realize that their is no longer a mystique around Monday night football.  It got me thinking about why sports use to have a mystique around them and it usually had to do with who was announcing the games.  When you heard the voices of Keith Jackson, Pat Summerall, Dick Enberg, the crew for Monday night football you knew it was a big game.  There are a few from that era that is still out there in Bob Costas, Al Micheals and even Marve Albert.  My question once those guys leave announcing is there any announcers today that makes you think it is a big game hearing their voice.  Another one I remember making me think that was Brent Mushberger on NFL today saying you are looking live when the show was coming on.

First off the mystique left Monday night football when it was put on cable.

But to your point, there are some great younger guys out there.  The problem is the "old" guys made their hay when there was only 3 networks.  Times have changed a tad.  I enjoy Mike Tirico when he does play by play.  Gus Johnson is the bomb.  

When I was growing up it was Curt Gowdy. Baseball? Gowdy and Kubek. College basketball? Gowdy and Al McGuire. Football? Gowdy and the great Al Derogatis. 

Monday Night Football you always had to endure Howard Cosell. I always thought he sucked in every sport except boxing. In baseball, he was insufferable, especially when the Yankees were playing. But for a big boxing match, he was the cats.

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When I was growing up it was Curt Gowdy. Baseball? Gowdy and Kubek. College basketball? Gowdy and Al McGuire. Football? Gowdy and the great Al Derogatis. 

Monday Night Football you always had to endure Howard Cosell. I always thought he sucked in every sport except boxing. In baseball, he was insufferable, especially when the Yankees were playing. But for a big boxing match, he was the cats.

I remember NBC baseball was Joe Garigalio(sp)? and Tony Kubeck

NBC college basketball Dick Enberg, Al Mcguire

NBC NFL football- Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

MNF may not be what it used to be, but Booger McFarland is infinitely more enjoyable to listen to than Jon Gruden or Jason Witten.  

To me I feel m ore of the mystique for Sunday night football than I do the Monday night telecast.  To me when I hear Al Micheals it feels like the game of the week and just don't get that for the Monday night game.

Another thing I liked about watching old games is hearing the old theme songs for each sport and network.  I love the college basketball them music on CBS but they have change it a little the last few years.  The old NBC college basketball them music is one of my favorites as well.  NBA on CBS music from the 80's was great as well.  I also love hearing the old theme music for this week in Baseball and when I hear l of these theme sons it brings back great memories.

24 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Vin Scully

Tim McCarver

Pat Sumerall

And for @rico Lindsey Nelson with the Sunday morning replay of Notre Dame games 

Some "local" guys I loved listening to...

Johnny Most (Celtics)

Larry Munson (UGA football)

Hawk Harrelson (White Sox)

Pat Hughes, Vince Lloyd, "The Good Kid", and of course Ron Santo (Cubs, along with the ones Mile cited)

Jack Buck (Cardinals)

Merrill Reese (Eagles)

Myron Cope and Lanny Fratteri (Steelers)

Lotsa "homers" in that group, but I don't mind them...

37 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Vin Scully

Tim McCarver

Pat Sumerall

And for @rico Lindsey Nelson with the Sunday morning replay of Notre Dame games 

Ahhhh, the good ole days of those ND replays on Sunday mornings.  Brings back memories.....I guess that is a Northern thang!

13 minutes ago, rico said:

Ahhhh, the good ole days of those ND replays on Sunday mornings.  Brings back memories.....I guess that is a Northern thang!

We got them down in Martinsville too.

"Due to time constraints, we'll now move to action in the 3rd quarter."

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Another thing I liked about watching old games is hearing the old theme songs for each sport and network.  I love the college basketball them music on CBS but they have change it a little the last few years.  The old NBC college basketball them music is one of my favorites as well.  NBA on CBS music from the 80's was great as well.  I also love hearing the old theme music for this week in Baseball and when I hear l of these theme sons it brings back great memories.

Funny side story, at a previous job I had we were doing an advertising/endorsement deal with John Tesh's radio show. We were on a conference call with him and at the beginning of the call I mentioned that I loved the old NBA on NBC intro song which he wrote. He got so excited and starting playing it over the conference call and telling us about how he wrote it. 

Was such a cool moment! 

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Funny side story, at a previous job I had we were doing an advertising/endorsement deal with John Tesh's radio show. We were on a conference call with him and at the beginning of the call I mentioned that I loved the old NBA on NBC intro song which he wrote. He got so excited and starting playing it over the conference call and telling us about how he wrote it. 

Was such a cool moment! 

That one is one of my all time favorites as well.  It seemed like when it came out was right when the pacers were making their first runs in playoffs in the mid 90's.

Watched some of the 1976 NCAA Championship game on YouTube. Curt Gowdy was doing the play by play, and Dick Enberg was doing the color commentary. Very cool.

Side note, I heard that pre game, Wake Forest alum Billy Packer was on the sideline for the IU-Michigan title game. Billy had been saying ACC this and ACC that all tournament. Knight supposedly waved him over to IU's huddle a few minutes before tip-off and said, "Where's the f?%&!?!g ACC now, Billy?"

Archived