What needs to change...

hoosier10

1.  Archie needs to think long and hard about leaving the underperforming senior guards guards on the bench.  Start Curtis and Al- at least they look like they want to be out there. RJ may be the softest 4 year starting player I've ever seen suit up for IU. He is not a lead guard, I know that definitively.  

2.  This team needs Hartman in an awful way.  IU is very different with him on the court- brings leadership, shooting, high bball IQ.  The 2 guys mentioned above have zero leadership ability and seem to create chaos rather than settle the team down. 

3. Deron needs to be our work horse.  Our shooting is abysmal and the offense has to work through the post.  Deron is skilled enough that the staff should be able to make this work just needs to stay out of foul trouble.

4.  Al freakin' Durham welcome to the starting lineup.  Loved what I saw from the freshman last night.  I think he may be that diamond in the rough player that Crean mined out of no where every few seasons.  Has some of that Oladipo attitude and this team needs that badly.

5. Curtis and Devonte have to step up.  We know who Newkirk and RJ are and it appears that they've progressed very little if not regressed.  The sophomore guards along with Al have the opening right now to take the reigns of this backcourt.  Let's see if they're motivated/skilled enough to take over.  I bet the guard rotation is going to get very interesting this year- there are zero positives in Archie wasting energy on the seniors IMO.

18 minutes ago, rico said:

VelThe senior guards do bother me.  IMO, if I am gonna loose, I will do it with the young kids so they get experience.  But that being said, I ain't calling off the season yet.

I'm not calling off the season at all.  I just think putting time and effort into your senior guards that appear to lack motivation/leadership does nothing for the team.  I agree with you- let's lose with the younger guys and get them as much experience as possible.  I was done with RJ last year- don't think I can stand seeing him in the starting lineup this year.

I was thinking about this last night and the biggest thing for me is someone has to step up and be a consistent ball handler and vocal leader on the court.  I do not know who that is, but I know who it is not, Newkirk, Johnson.  Could it be Green,maybe but he was ranked where he was for a reason, he can make some very dynamic plays, but he also is out of control and a horribly streaky shooter.  Cujo, he never really has gotten the chance to do much on the ball, another very streaky shooter.  Durham, showed signs last night, would really like to see more of him.  Is it Hartman when he gets healthy, I don't think so.  I have been one of the loudest people against the playing of walkons, but what about Johnny Jager, I realize the competition was lower, but he averaged 15 an 5 assists in both high school and at Wabash.    Someone has to take this team over and run it on the offensive end.  

What this team needs is Garland and Langford, but that is a lost cause as they are both going to Montana State.

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We need to take care of the ball better and close out on shooters better, but the design of our defense is going to leave us exposed to three point shooting. Fix those two and we will be just fine. 

Turnovers and defense.  Where have we heard that before.  I'm just not sure this group of players has what it takes.  We need some Vic's, Cody's, and Yogi's.  

20 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

What this team needs is Garland and Langford, but that is a lost cause as they are both going to Montana State.

Another reason why BOTH these players would be our starting backcourt next year - not Devonte Green. IMO, Jerome Hunter would have a chance at staring next year, as he is gonna be a stud!

Anyways, for this year, our senior leadership other than Hartman seems hopeless. I would start thinking about benching Rob and Newkirk - who our Crean's guys and have played in his system for a few years - for someone younger like Al, who seems to be more engaged and is -quite frankly - able to adapt to Archie's system quicker than the upper classman. Just my two cents. Although last night was ugly, I do expect this team to improve with or without seniors, and I look forward to seeing us improve throughout the season. 

Okay, it was a bad loss.  We can sit and study the reasons why it happened until the cows come home.  The fact is that this is not CAM's team.  He is just playing with hand he was dealt.  This ain't poker where you can bluff your way out of anything.  The pieces ARE THERE, but they need to embrace his system.  If the "Vets" don't produce, sit them on the pine.  To be honest what this team is lacking is a bunch of guys that don't care about wearing those candy stripes.  I expect Arch to instill a new attitude, with his guys.

46 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We need to take care of the ball better and close out on shooters better, but the design of our defense is going to leave us exposed to three point shooting. Fix those two and we will be just fine. 

Hopefully Archie is coach of accountability as it was pretty obvious Crean wasn’t. You make kids do sprints until they puke in practice for lack of hustle on defense, and you better believe they’ll either fix it or quit because you can’t convince me these guys dont have the athleticism and stamina to get out on their shooter and challenge every shot.  Each guy has to have a “not on my watch” mentality to giving up points on defense 

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

Hopefully Archie is coach of accountability as it was pretty obvious Crean wasn’t. You make kids do sprints until they puke in practice for lack of hustle on defense, and you better believe they’ll either fix it or quit because you can’t convince me these guys dont have the athleticism and stamina to get out on their shooter and challenge every shot.  Each guy has to have a “not on my watch” mentality to giving up points on defense 

It's not a stamina thing. The pack line is designed to have guys sag off their man and clog the lane so guys need to anticipate the kick out and be ready to close out aggressively and under control, but if you're not used to guarding that way it is an adjustment. Even a team like UVA who is great at it is susceptible to getting torched from three as it's really the best way to beat a pack line defense. 

20 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I hope Archie starts to get in the face of these players and demand more.  I didn’t watch but I listened to last nights game and it was awful.  Get their attention one way or another.

If the guards would have pretended to care, it would be a little easier to swallow. I recall Archie being quoted as “They haven’t seen me after a loss yet”. I am confident the players will regret their effort in a big way. 

" 4.  Al freakin' Durham welcome to the starting lineup.  Loved what I saw from the freshman last night.  I think he may be that diamond in the rough player that Crean mined out of no where every few seasons.  Has some of that Oladipo attitude and this team needs that badly. "

IU will NOT win with Al Durham playing meaningful minutes.   Al is a poor outside shooter, is not physical and just not ready for B1G level basketball.  Wishful thinking.   Like it or not, Robert Johnson has to step up for IU to be competetive this year.  Green,Newkirk and Jones should share the other starter minutes.  Hartman better be a helluva player, or IU will struggle.   I am also counting on JSmith to get better as the year progresses.  Who knows on Newkirk/Green at PG, but Durham is not the answer this year at pg.   

We still take too many quick threes early in the shot clock.  I think Arch missed a couple of great opportunities last night to immediately sit guys down (Morgan, Jones and Newkirk) who took awful shots early in the shot clock.  That was the kind of thing I was lead to believe he would do, but did not see.  I would like to see that change.

I couldn’t watch the game, but listened to the radio stream. Like most I think the senior guards should be on the pine. I’m thinking a starting 5 of: Al, CuJo, Juwan, Deron, and Freddie(until Colin is ready)! Those 5 seemed to bring the best energy and play to me! I hope CAM really undressed the team after the game, that was a horrible start to the season! It can only go up from here!

1 hour ago, jimmygoiu said:

" 4.  Al freakin' Durham welcome to the starting lineup.  Loved what I saw from the freshman last night.  I think he may be that diamond in the rough player that Crean mined out of no where every few seasons.  Has some of that Oladipo attitude and this team needs that badly. "

IU will NOT win with Al Durham playing meaningful minutes.   Al is a poor outside shooter, is not physical and just not ready for B1G level basketball.  Wishful thinking.   Like it or not, Robert Johnson has to step up for IU to be competetive this year.  Green,Newkirk and Jones should share the other starter minutes.  Hartman better be a helluva player, or IU will struggle.   I am also counting on JSmith to get better as the year progresses.  Who knows on Newkirk/Green at PG, but Durham is not the answer this year at pg.   

I think you are correct about Al having huge minutes. However, I would start him and play him a lot vs Howard. A message has to be sent to the Senoirs. See how they respond coming off the bench for a game. Make them earn that starting spot with both practice and game performance 

Honestly it's just too early to talk about what need to change, or to single any player out. 

First game under a new coach with the team, an essentially new team, after being coached one way, working to learn a new system and style of play. And without the players they relied on last season. And without Collin. 

Not an excuse. It was an abysmal performance, and the first opening loss in what, two decades? But no one or two players lost this game, the entire team -- and the coach -- lost this game.

I did not expect that loss or that kind of loss. But I did, and do, think it's going to take some time for the new system to click, and for CAM to get his legs coaching this team. Probably will be a fair amount to criticize over the next several games, but can also see the veteran guards -- and we absolutely need our veteran guards -- leading this team well later. Also, Davis has a lot of work to do learning not to foul. That's key. He has tremendous potential, with work to do.

Here's one small thing I would change. Sometime between his freshman and sophomore year, Juwan Morgan became convinced he was a shooter. Then he went out and shot 25% from deep last year.

It's ok for him to shoot the occasional open three off of a kick out in the flow of the offense. He should never be looking for a three, or taking one that's contested at all. I thought this was a Crean thing that would end with the new coach, but there Juwan was again last night, taking and bricking two semi-contested threes.

5 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Here's one small thing I would change. Sometime between his freshman and sophomore year, Juwan Morgan became convinced he was a shooter. Then he went out and shot 25% from deep last year.

It's ok for him to shoot the occasional open three off of a kick out in the flow of the offense. He should never be looking for a three, or taking one that's contested at all. I thought this was a Crean thing that would end with the new coach, but there Juwan was again last night, taking and bricking two semi-contested threes.

To be fair, he was 5-10 overall.  Certainly gave a better accounting of himself than Johnson or Newkirk.  I'm a little more bothered by him only getting 2 rebounds.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To be fair, he was 5-10 overall.  Certainly gave a better accounting of himself than Johnson or Newkirk.  I'm a little more bothered by him only getting 2 rebounds.

He's one of my favorite players on the team. He does a lot of positive things. I'm just tired of seeing him chuck up contested bricks from three.

It's good to see rational discussion rejoin the forum today. After reading some of the in-game comments last night, I was ready to jump off the ledge myself.

This team will definitely get better as the year goes on.  Coach Miller has an absolute gold mine in training video from last night. I'm confident that he'll make full use of it.  I'm confident that the team will look better as a result, but I'm equally confident that there are enough adjustments necessary that it won't all come together in game two.  Thankfully, the competition is such that IU won't have to solve all their problems in two days.  20 wins is still very reachable, but I'm not going to make any significant judgment on Miller's IU career based on one season.

...and yeah...it feels good to be right about Al Durham. He's better than most of you thought, but he'll still have some growing pains as a result of inexperience.  For those of you that think he can't shoot, I give you...the King of the Bluegrass...

http://www.insidethehall.com/2016/12/20/video-al-durham-jr-scores-30-king-bluegrass-final/

Archived