Congratulations Tom Allen

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Now all I can picture is the old Monty Python sketch of the soccer match between the Greek and German philosophers with Confucius as the referee. 

Haha Thanks for sharing the Monty Python thoughts! I get the picture.  I would have felt punny developing the point in some way other than a duality remark.

I couldn't think of any other way to frame my thoughts on Harbaugh at the time, but I hope I nailed the one I went with.

I'm glad combining those thoughts didn't make you feel too sketched out to reply.Lol

(Puns intended)

7 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Tom Allen would have made a hell of a squad sargeant in WW1. It wouldn't matter how many bullets were flying, you'd follow him out of a trench and be proud to be doing so.

I love how he is a guy you want to follow because you believe in him, and not someone you want to follow because you're scared of him. 

• 2 weeks later...

John Pont.  Bill Mallory.  Tom Allen. 
The only coaches to ever win 8 or more games at IU. 

Lists that Allen may potentially join:

Coaches to win 9 games at IU: John Pont
Coaches to win a bowl game at IU: Lee Corso. Bill Mallory.

And although his career here is hopefully far from over, a bowl win would put Allen's career record at .500.  The last coach to finish his career at IU at .500 or over was Bo McMillian in 1947.

I don’t know that you can find a more likable person than than Tom Allen.  I bet it plays well with recruits.  And he’s good but doesn’t have an arrogance complex like a lot of coaches.  I love how unassuming he is.  

I could not agree more with his schemes on both sides of the ball. That has not even remotely been my view in the past, prior to Allen and maybe prior to Wilson too.  

And I love the traits of athletes he covets. He’s not defeatist like a lot of IU coaches in the past. He wants certain types of guys and he’s not going to compromise on talent. Instead of a bunch of guys with Marshall and Toledo type offers like we used to get, he’s primarily  after a bunch of guys with the cachet of very solid power 5 offers.  His vision is excellent because he’s not going to be able to run his systems with lesser athletes.  The physical profiles of the guys he wants, position by position is basically perfect.  No complaints.  

Archived