We need a state of recruiting thread.

Long Duk Dong

15 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Guys like a Thomas Allen.  Smart player, but he will never be a game changer because he isn't athletic enough.

This class has a lot of guys who have a pretty high potential.  A lot of them need some polishing, but at least there could be something great once polished.

That said, never hurts to have a Thomas Allen or three on the roster. NFL prospects? No. But as upperclassmen, they're almost like having an assistant coach on the field.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

That said, never hurts to have a Thomas Allen or three on the roster. NFL prospects? No. But as upperclassmen, they're almost like having an assistant coach on the field.

Nope.  Definitely doesn't hurt.  Need a mixture of both types, and I think between last year and this year's class, we've done a great job of getting a mixture of solid, smart players and high potential guys.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

Nope.  Definitely doesn't hurt.  Need a mixture of both types, and I think between last year and this year's class, we've done a great job of getting a mixture of solid, smart players and high potential guys.

Yep, you won't win much with a roster full of Allens, but you won't win much without a couple either.

And sometimes, you find one that's a mix of both. McFadden for instance. Not an elite athlete but pretty damn good. And plays smart.

I saw on Twitter that we had a big time QB prospect from 2022 in for the game.  His name is Brady Allen and he has prototypical size.  I’ve read that he may have 5 star talent.  He’s also visited Notre Dame.  

Also, Lee Wilbanks is the recruiting coordinator.   He mentioned he had a good conversation with a “difference maker” on the phone after the game.  No way to know who he’s referring to, but it sounds good.  

22 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I saw on Twitter that we had a big time QB prospect from 2022 in for the game.  His name is Brady Allen and he has prototypical size.  I’ve read that he may have 5 star talent.  He’s also visited Notre Dame.  

Also, Lee Wilbanks is the recruiting coordinator.   He mentioned he had a good conversation with a “difference maker” on the phone after the game.  No way to know who he’s referring to, but it sounds good.  

Maybe they've got someone getting close to flipping their commitiment on signing day. 

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Brady is the kid we discussed in one of these threads this past summer. Will be one of the big ones this state puts out in coming years.ND, Ohio St, Penn St,etc....have all been in on him early. Just glad to get him on campus for visits.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:53 AM, DC2345 said:

IU football commits include the following 

DT QB: Dexter Williams 3*

WR: Rashawn Williams 4* and David Baker 3*

ATH: Javon Swinton 3*

TE: Jalen Williams 3* and Sam Daugstrup 3* (Walk-On)

OL: Luke Wiginton 3*, Brady Feeney 3*, Coleon Smith 3*, and Cameron Knight 3*

DT: JeJuan Sparks 3*

DE: Caleb Murphy 3*

LB: Ty Wise 3* 

CB: Lemuel Neely-Watley 3* and Christopher Keys 3*

14 Scholarship Commits and 1 Walk-On. 

There are some guys still being recruited and some that the staff is still trying to get to flip their commitment before or on signing day. 

i assume feeney and knight are related to recent iu football alumni?

Its kind of crazy to think that we're only just over a month from the early fist signing day in December.  I'm guessing the weekend of December 6th will be a huge weekend for us.  247 shows 8 of our current commits visiting that weekend, so I'm sure we'll try to get a lot of potential recruits in then too.

Already shows safety Jaiden Francois visiting that weekend, and he'd be a monster pick up.  Top 300 player. 

Jontavis Robertson is coming that weekend too.  Speedy 3 star wide receiver.

Damarjhe Lewis is a DT with a big time offer list who is visiting in 2 weeks.

I'm sure a lot more will pop up in the next few weeks.

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Its kind of crazy to think that we're only just over a month from the early fist signing day in December.  I'm guessing the weekend of December 6th will be a huge weekend for us.  247 shows 8 of our current commits visiting that weekend, so I'm sure we'll try to get a lot of potential recruits in then too.

Already shows safety Jaiden Francois visiting that weekend, and he'd be a monster pick up.  Top 300 player. 

Jontavis Robertson is coming that weekend too.  Speedy 3 star wide receiver.

Damarjhe Lewis is a DT with a big time offer list who is visiting in 2 weeks.

I'm sure a lot more will pop up in the next few weeks.

Thanks Leathernecks,  good stuff.   Any time you get interest from top 300 guys it's a good thing.

All three of those guys are top 1000, would love to get any and all of them.

4 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

Thanks Leathernecks,  good stuff.   Any time you get interest from top 300 guys it's a good thing.

All three of those guys are top 1000, would love to get any and all of them.

Alante Brown is another guy to keep an eye on.  Committed to Texas Tech, but went to prep school this fall instead of enrolling there.  Seems to be a really good athlete in the Whop and David Ellis mold.  He was a Top247 guy in the 2019 class at 219 overall in the 247 rankings.  Composite ranking was quite a bit lower though.  He visited campus for the Rutgers game.

I was thinking about this during the game today, but I really like the balance we have with our classes.  I honestly can't think of a single position group that I'm really worried about us recruiting.  QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, CB, S.  We have solid underclassmen in all of those positions, and have more depth coming in this year.  I really hope we can land another OL another DL, and a couple highly ranked guys at any other position.

17 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I was thinking about this during the game today, but I really like the balance we have with our classes.  I honestly can't think of a single position group that I'm really worried about us recruiting.  QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, CB, S.  We have solid underclassmen in all of those positions, and have more depth coming in this year.  I really hope we can land another OL another DL, and a couple highly ranked guys at any other position.

And most important to me is we finally can confirm our message to recruits. I'll never get tired of big lineman either. Control the front. Control the game. Wasn't a big mystery how Penn St had 9 plays total I think in 2nd half before their 18 play drive to finish it off. They ran right at the spots where our DLine was injured or out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today was a huge win for recruiting purposes.  Gives a feel good momentum for the next month until our bowl game.  We also have a big recruiting weekend next week, so hopefully we can pull in a couple guys.  Have 2 top 300 guys visiting, and at least 6 total guys coming in.  A lot of our current commits are coming too, so maybe we can land one of the big guys.

35 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Today was a huge win for recruiting purposes.  Gives a feel good momentum for the next month until our bowl game.  We also have a big recruiting weekend next week, so hopefully we can pull in a couple guys.  Have 2 top 300 guys visiting, and at least 6 total guys coming in.  A lot of our current commits are coming too, so maybe we can land one of the big guys.

Who are the big guys that are visiting? And is that size big or relevance big?

13 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

They're listed here.

Jason Harris - top 200 DE

Jaiden Francois - top 300 Safety

Jontavis Robertson - top 800 WR

If we could convince all three to come that would be huge but I would put Francois as the top priority! Kid looks athletic and talented at the Safety position and we could use some help there! The other two would be huge gets also!!

43 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

If we could convince all three to come that would be huge but I would put Francois as the top priority! Kid looks athletic and talented at the Safety position and we could use some help there! The other two would be huge gets also!!

Definitely!  Harris I think will be tough just because we haven't really been getting kids from the SW, so to pull in a top 200 guy from Arizona would be incredible.

It seems like we have a legit shot with Francois.  If we could land him, we would have a ton of young talent at Safety.  It has been kind of a disappointing group this year, but all the guys we played there are underclassmen.  We'll have Sanguinetti coming back as a RS Frehsman too.  I saw at different times that the staff really liked him.

Adding a 4 star guy to that room would only help.  Lots of young talent in that group, but moving forward, a couple guys will really need to step up.  Hopefully we can get some more pass rushers to help them out a little bit too.

Archived