Do you remember your first airplane trip, and where

milehiiu

....you were going ?

I remember mine.  It came courtesy of my Uncle Sam.  After graduation from Indiana University. Flight from Chicago's O'Hare to Philadelphia , with a midnight bus trip to Fort Dix, New Jersey for basic training.  To this day, I remember the power of being pushed back into my seat as that Big 'ol Jet Airliner left the ground

So.... what was your first airplane ride ?  And where did it take you ? 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

....you were going ?

I remember mine.  It came courtesy of my Uncle Sam.  After graduation from Indiana University. Flight from Chicago's O'Hare to Philadelphia , with a midnight bus trip to Fort Dix, New Jersey for basic training.  To this day, I remember the power of being pushed back into my seat as that Big 'ol Jet Airliner left the ground

So.... what was your first airplane ride ?  And where did it take you ? 

I am 49 years old and only flew one time in my life when I was 9 years old.  It was my only bothers senior year and my parents told him we would go anywhere he wanted to go.  He decided he wanted to o to California so we flew to LA.  My main memory was the flight back and me throwing up all the way from over Kansas to Indy.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Flight from Chicago's O'Hare to Philadelphia , with a midnight bus trip to Fort Dix, New Jersey for basic training.  

I've taken that bus ride more than a few times from PHL to the McGuire/Fort Dix joint base.

Once, I was on my way back to Greenland (took a C-141 from McGuire to Goose Bay, Newfoundland, to Sondrestrom). I was the only guy on the bus that wasn't going to Army basic training at Fort Dix (I was an E-6 Tech Sgt at the time and I wasn't in uniform). When we pulled up to the drop off point for the new enlistees, this Army Spec 4 jumps on the bus and tells these "maggots" to get off the bus and line up on the yellow line outside. I was looking out the window when I feel a presence over me. Look up and the Spec 4 is over me and he asks if I have a "f'ing hearing disorder." Loudly. I pulled out my military ID identifying me as an E-6. This guy starts stuttering like Mel Tillis in a freezer. He must have apologized 10 times. I just told him no big deal.

The bus driver almost pissed himself laughing though.

15 years old.1997 (pre 9-11 security was wonderful). Indy to St Louis, St Louis to Portland. Visiting an aunt.

Flown I don't know how many times for work. Have the Delta terminals in Cincinnati and Dallas memorized, nearly so for Houston. Orlando a few times for vacations. Baltimore. Chicago. Palm Springs. Atlanta. Denver.

Archived