penix or ramsey

coachv

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd still go with Penix.  I think Ramsey is best suited as the guy off the bench.  He's shown he can come in off the bench and play well, and he is still more limited than Penix.  Teams can gameplan to take away Ramsey's strengths easier than they can Penix's.  As awesome as Ramsey has been for us, Penix is the future.  He should be in whenever he is healthy.

Great question, coach. I am proud of you.

Indiana is blessed to have two QB's who can get the job done. Albeit. In each, their own way.  I like them both.  And I know why Coach Allen said at season's start why he said picking one over the other, was one of the hardest things he has ever had to do as IU's HC.

But to answer your question.  So long as he is healthy.  I have to go with Michael.  Just think his arm and legs add so much to the game.

CTA put this to bed at the start of the season.  Penix is the starter.  

I LOVE Ramsey.  I believe he has earned the Season Game Ball.  Without him we are not Bowl eligible.  He is also a starter on many other teams.  He is very accurate as a passer and totally understands the Offense.  However, Penix won the starting slot because he has far more arm strength than Ramsey.  This causes the D to have to respect the deep ball and prevents them from loading the box against the run and forcing them to cover the entire field..  CTA said it was the hardest decision he has ever made.  He loves both players but has to be brutally honest on behalf of the team when choosing the starter.  Ramsey is a coaches son.  He understands the situation.  He doesn't have to like it but he understands his role.  

Penix has not played considerably better and it was against weaker competition. 

We are winning with Ramsey. You go with Ramsey.  He’s given us the  Most successful season in 26 years. How do you bench a guy that has done that. 

What message does it send to your teams bench if no matter how well you perform you can’t win the job if somebody else was named starter 3 months ago. 

Penix expands the playbook and he is good.  He has does nothing to loose his spot with bad decision making.  He is only getting better.  Ramsey is what all good teams have, a next man up, good qb.  We are not use to having a stable of QB's, and hopefully we keep all three, invluding Tuttle moving forward.  Tuttle has tremendous upside as well.

Penix is an arm that we haven't seen in a while.  It is elite in the country.  His ability to lead is also been a positive.  Just hope he can play a longer stretch.  

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Penix has not played considerably better and it was against weaker competition. 

We are winning with Ramsey. You go with Ramsey.  He’s given us the  Most successful season in 26 years. How do you bench a guy that has done that. 

What message does it send to your teams bench if no matter how well you perform you can’t win the job if somebody else was named starter 3 months ago. 

Wait .I thought conventional wisdom went : Hustle beats talent unless talent hustles? 

FWIW, I think Penix blows that game open yesterday. That is not taking away from Ramsey. If so show me where? 

Just saying your comment did not pursuade me as I saw no reason in your comment to remove a superior level of peak performance from a job they won and ever since,  have done nothing to deserve to lose. Not only that. Why are you trying ti take away from what Penix has done(won a starting job +didn't lose it) ?

Just slightly confused why it has to evolve into a controversy every time a back up comes in and successfully backs up ...the starter.

Is it a "What have you done for me lately?"-thing that determines who starts??   I mean 2 weekends aint that damn long ago Lol 

Are you saying if Ramsey became starter and got injured amd missed twp weeks .Penix would just need to go off again to take the job back yet again?

I mean , Personally I like higher ceilings on most building projects! Even if it takes a bit longer to round closer to completion.

Do you not see how far ahead Penix is at in the same respective career juncture (RS Freshman) - at the time- and how much better potential he has flashed in the toughest B1G game IU played competitively in - 20 straight throws worth- to be exact - with a fraction of as many road starts? So what of he lost his road game debut to a ranked MSU team. That is how I view things though .Sticking to it too!

Im drinkin beer but I know what Im saying here.Sort of.LOL :)

5 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Wait .I thought conventional wisdom went : Hustle beats talent unless talent hustles? 

FWIW, I think Penix blows that game open yesterday. That is not taking away from Ramsey. If so show me where? 

Just saying your comment did not pursuade me as I saw no reason in your comment to remove a superior level of peak performance from a job they won and ever since,  have done nothing to deserve to lose. Not only that. Why are you trying ti take away from what Penix has done(won a starting job +didn't lose it) ?

Just slightly confused why it has to evolve into a controversy every time a back up comes in and successfully backs up ...the starter.

Is it a "What have you done for me lately?"-thing that determines who starts??   I mean 2 weekends aint that damn long ago Lol 

Are you saying if Ramsey became starter and got injured amd missed twp weeks .Penix would just need to go off again to take the job back yet again?

I mean , Personally I like higher ceilings on most building projects! Even if it takes a bit longer to round closer to completion.

Do you not see how far ahead Penix is at in the same respective career juncture (RS Freshman) - at the time- and how much better potential he has flashed in the toughest B1G game IU played competitively in - 20 straight throws worth- to be exact - with a fraction of as many road starts? So what of he lost his road game debut to a ranked MSU team. That is how I view things though .Sticking to it too!

Im drinkin beer but I know what Im saying here.Sort of.LOL :)

I'm saying I think based on substance - that Penix is already better now despite his flaws than Ramsey ever was or will be - despite his own flaws.School record bursts of efficiency make me want a bigger sample size where I come from 

People keep saying that Penix provides a clearly better product. I don’t see it

They have nearly the same yardage. Penix on more per attempts. Ramsey with the higher completion percentage. 

Penix has played two fewer quarters and has two more turnovers. 

All while playing one one team that isn’t pathetic.  An MSU team that people are saying are going to fire their coach. 

People keep saying he’s clearly better?  Then why hasn’t it shown up in his performances. 

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Great question, coach. I am proud of you.

Indiana is blessed to have two QB's who can get the job done. Albeit. In each, their own way.  I like them both.  And I know why Coach Allen said at season's start why he said picking one over the other, was one of the hardest things he has ever had to do as IU's HC.

But to answer your question.  So long as he is healthy.  I have to go with Michael.  Just think his arm and legs add so much to the game.

ramsey has been the better runner

2 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

I'm saying I think based on substance - that Penix is already better now despite his flaws than Ramsey ever was or will be - despite his own flaws.School record bursts of efficiency make me want a bigger sample size where I come from 

ramsey is still getting better, too

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

People keep saying that Penix provides a clearly better product. I don’t see it

They have nearly the same yardage. Penix on more per attempts. Ramsey with the higher completion percentage. 

Penix has played two fewer quarters and has two more turnovers. 

All while playing one one team that isn’t pathetic.  An MSU team that people are saying are going to fire their coach. 

People keep saying he’s clearly better?  Then why hasn’t it shown up in his performances. 

at least two of the penix picks were not his fault. neither was ramsey's on saturday

1 minute ago, coachv said:

the ramsey we are seeing is miles ahead of where he was last season and better than he was coming out of fall camp. ramsey made critical plays to seal the last two wins. also looks a lot better throwing deep. nice to have two quality qb's

Love Ramsey, and he has proven to be dedicated to IU when so many kids in his situation hit the transfer portal.

That being said, the Ramsey we are seeing includes giving us no chance to be competitive vs Ohio State. We will be facing similar defenses in both Michigan and Penn St. As much as Peyton has done to get us where we are now, I don't see anything in his game that says we'd have a chance in those two games. 

Let Penix get back in game mode vs. Northwestern, then let's see what he can do against Michigan and Penn St.

Archived