The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Thought it might be about time to retire the other thread, which is about 3 years old.  

UK won their first exhibition by 27.  Only mention of Brooks is that he was in the starting lineup.

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/crawford-first-impressions-of-kentucky-after-sunday-s--/article_2cfc3c22-f98e-11e9-90d6-bf7dc640b58f.html

I was told he would start. Important to also note...he had the most minutes of anyone on the team. Could have been because Richards got hurt but it's important to note he is holding his own. There was never a question about his talent...he has it we wanted it. Question will be on a team like this is will he get a chance to maximize it. If he plays hard he will. The worst thing I'd say about Brooks the other night was that he only had 1 rebound. THAT...will get him sent to the bench quicker than any missed shot etc in Calipari's book. He will have to step up that effort moving forward but UK is pretty thin up front.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

The worst thing I'd say about Brooks the other night was that he only had 1 rebound. THAT...will get him sent to the bench quicker than any missed shot etc in Calipari's book.

I wonder if that same philosophy will apply to Smith with his gynormous 2 rebounds against MU...🥴

Just now, DWB said:

I wonder if that same philosophy will apply to Smith with his gynormous 2 rebounds against MU...🥴

If I'm coach...yikes!!! That many missed shots especially in the UK game (they got outrebounded by Georgetown College) it's an effort thing...hustle thing. Which is suppose to be Brooks bag for this team. Same for Smith for us! It's why he shouldn't be a 3....one of our most athletic rebounders would be standing around the perimeter.....doing us no good.

43 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Thought it might be interesting to publish Lunardi's pre-season bracketology and revisit it at the end of the year.  Not sure though if this link will retain the pre-season information, or of he will overwrite it every time he updates.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Lunardi has a great gig going. He's basically awful, but highly rewarded, every year.

21 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Thought it might be interesting to publish Lunardi's pre-season bracketology and revisit it at the end of the year.  Not sure though if this link will retain the pre-season information, or of he will overwrite it every time he updates.

Taking a screenshot of his bracket would take of it for you.

D1 Teams in Indiana.  Not as strong as it used to be.  Forget the NCAA tournament for a second, but how many of these teams even predicted to finish in the top half of their league?  Purdue and maybe Ball State?  What are the underlying factors for this decline?

Indiana

Purdue

Notre Dame

Butler

Indiana State

Evansville

Ball State

IUPUI

Fort Wayne

Valpo

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

D1 Teams in Indiana.  Not as strong as it used to be.  Forget the NCAA tournament for a second, but how many of these teams even predicted to finish in the top half of their league?  Purdue and maybe Ball State?  What are the underlying factors for this decline?

Indiana

Purdue

Notre Dame

Butler

Indiana State

Evansville

Ball State

IUPUI

Fort Wayne

Valpo

Myriad of factors.....I honestly would say coaching and coaching stability. Teams like Butler, Valpo, IU, UE...for sure that's an issue. Lot of rebuilding going on. Purdue is just reloading as is Notre Dame. I don't know enough about the other situations but I would say that is the biggest factor for most of the programs. Sure better players will help a coach win but I think the changes or last several years with the wrong guy at the helm hurts.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Myriad of factors.....I honestly would say coaching and coaching stability. Teams like Butler, Valpo, IU, UE...for sure that's an issue. Lot of rebuilding going on. Purdue is just reloading as is Notre Dame. I don't know enough about the other situations but I would say that is the biggest factor for most of the programs. Sure better players will help a coach win but I think the changes or last several years with the wrong guy at the helm hurts.

Butler definitely fits that bill.  Seems that coaching turnover has finally caught up with them.  

On 10/29/2019 at 1:58 PM, 5fouls said:

Fouls,

I'm pretty sure it overwrites every time he updates it. This is his update for October 3rd by seed:

1-Michigan St, Florida, Louisville, Kansas
2-UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Maryland
3-Villanova, Gonzaga, Oregon, Baylor
4-Seton Hall, Purdue, Texas Tech, Virginia
5-Memphis, Arizona, St. Mary's, Ohio St.
6-Creighton, LSU, VCU, Utah St.
7-Auburn, Xavier, NC State, Marquette
8-Ole Miss, Florida St., Georgetown, Houston
9-Washington, Davidson, Tennessee, Michigan
10-Providence, Colorado, Penn St., Iowa St.
11-Texas, Dayton, Iowa, Arizona St., Cincinnati, Wisconsin
12-Harvard, New Mexico St., Liberty, Western Kentucky
13-Belmont, North Dakota St., E.Tennessee St., Vermont
14-Charleston, Colgate, Northern Kentucky, Loyola-Chicago
15-Radford, Georgia Southern, UC Irvine, Ball St.
16-Delaware St., St. Francis (PA), Rider, Northern Colorado, Grambling, Sam Houston St.

Last 4 Byes: Penn St., Iowa St., Texas, Wisconsin
First 4 Out: Mississippi St., Oklahoma, USC, Kansas St.
Next 4 Out: Alabama, UCLA, Syracuse, Minnesota

Archived