The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Seeking6 said:

Certainly early and plenty of things can change but when you lose a game changer/scorer like Edwards as we all know it causes plenty of problems in other areas. Defenses can focus on whoever the next guy is.....Edwards created so much space it helped Mr. Hair and others get easy baskets.

Long season so I wouldn't be overly concerned yet but the early indicators is maybe CE covered up deficiencies and Painter hasn't properly recruited a scorer to help Hair, Eastern, Wheeler,etc...

Agree about Edwards, but I think Cline is nearly as big a loss. That guy hit so many clutch daggers to end opposing runs and seal wins last year.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Learn something new everyday.  Tony Dungy hit a shot to send the game in 3OT, the last time that Minnesota played in Hinkle. Love Dungy

I remember Dungy playing for the Gophers basketball team. I think Flip Saunders was on that team too.

That was a couple of years after they'd gotten rid of the ne'er-do-wells that literally beat up Luke Witte, Allen Hornyak, and the rest OSU team when they came to The Barn. Still a stain in B10 history to this day.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. I always forget him. Makes the problem even worse because Cline created even more space. 

Yes I believe I said as much to stlboiler. He insisted Steph would replace Cline to a good extent but they just don’t score in the same way even if both high percentage shooters. Cline and Edwards bailed out Purdue so many times last year with contested three pointers it was crazy. I mean that was not an elite eight caliber team but those two drug the rest of the team through games with their shot making on their own. Testiment to them....but right now nobody can create and score so everything is difficult. They will certainly get a lot better but this is why I criticized Eastern running the point...he just doesn’t make plays for others or himself. He is a junkyard dog kinda kid. Still love his effort but they don’t or I haven’t seen a guy that can break down the defense yet on their roster. Definitely going to have to play inside out and then hope to force double teams to move the defense out of position so their shooters can have open looks.

28 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Agree about Edwards, but I think Cline is nearly as big a loss. That guy hit so many clutch daggers to end opposing runs and seal wins last year.

And Eifert could also step out and hit a three.  Seems that they could really use Newman's shooting this year.

29 minutes ago, Lurker said:

And Eifert could also step out and hit a three.  Seems that they could really use Newman's shooting this year.

Yep.  Eifert didn't get much pub but he was an important cog for the Boilers as well.  Red shirting Newman makes no sense to me.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

They will certainly get a lot better but this is why I criticized Eastern running the point...he just doesn’t make plays for others or himself. He is a junkyard dog kinda kid. Still love his effort but they don’t or I haven’t seen a guy that can break down the defense yet on their roster.

His offensive stats this year have regressed a bunch. Overall shooting 33% without attempting a 3 (and he shouldn't). Against Marquette, he was guarding Howard and got exposed...almost fouled out. He's not a point guard...that's one of the oddest experiments I've seen Painter try. Still...mama thinks he's headed to the NBA although I don't recall ever seeing such a broken shot playing in the NBA, but I guess we'll see.

Some of their posters still see a 4th or 5th place team, but if that's the case, they are going to need to improve a bunch or the Big Ten is going to be the Pac Ten of last year...yikes.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Michigan State vs. Seton Hall is the highest profile game tonight.  If Myles Powell plays, I can see Seton Hall pulling this one out.  

I could also see Michigan State playing their most inspired and best game of the year after the recent tragedy of Winston's brother.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wiseman ineligible again. Smart move by Memphis. Withdraw the lawsuit. Be forthcoming and take the suspension during no name preseason games from the NCAA and be ready when the season counts. Kind of taking a page out the Ohio St playbook with Chase. Should have done this last week. 

From NBC Sports...

Memphis announced on Thursday that they have ruled James Wiseman ineligible to play and will immediately apply for his reinstatement. As of now, that means that Memphis’ star center will be held out of competition pending resolution of this matter.

Wiseman’s legal team put out a statement on Thursday morning announcing that they will be dropping his lawsuit against the NCAA.

“It has become clear to Mr. Wiseman that the lawsuit he filed last week has become an impediment to the University of Memphis in its effort to reach a fair and equitable resolution with the NCAA concerning his eligibility status,” the statement from Ballin, Ballin and Fishman read. “Therefore, Mr. Wiseman advised his legal team that he wished to withdraw his lawsuit.”

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

That was my first thought. How was he able to have his HS coach pay for him to move to Memphis and be able to play in HS. The Hopf  family moved on their own and he can’t play. 

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Wiseman ineligible again. Smart move by Memphis. Withdraw the lawsuit. Be forthcoming and take the suspension during no name preseason games from the NCAA and be ready when the season counts. Kind of taking a page out the Ohio St playbook with Chase. Should have done this last week. 

And the smart move for Wiseman who is favorite to be #1 overall pick is to drop out of school, hire an agent, and work out privately, and get ready for the draft. Serves no purpose to stay and get a quarter of the attention from the team who will be moving on without him. Either sign with a foreign team or simply just get private workout. He is going to be a top 5 pick regardless if he plays another college minute. Memphis is likely going to lose him either way.

Archived