The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Year in and year out, the best teams have pretty tight 8-9 man rotations.

Could be that they don't have the talent at the end of the bench.  Just saying.

Over the years. And there have been many. I have seen teams with a short bench get into trouble late in a game, due to guys fouling out.... and their replacements not able to get the job done in crunch time. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Could be that they don't have the talent at the end of the bench.  Just saying.

Over the years. And there have been many. I have seen teams with a short bench get into trouble late in a game, due to guys fouling out.... and their replacements not able to get the job done in crunch time. 

If memory serves me correctly, IU only played 7 in the 87 Championship Game, with Hillman and Eyl getting in off the bench.

58 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If memory serves me correctly, IU only played 7 in the 87 Championship Game, with Hillman and Eyl getting in off the bench.

Not correct...IU played 9, with only 7 seeing significant minutes.  Only 4 Hoosiers scored.  On the other hand the 'Cuse used only 7.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1987-03-30-indiana.html

I cant recall a conference ever being as deep as the big 10 this year.  Anyone have any challengers from years past?  Right now the conference has 12 of the top 38 teams in the Kenpom rankings.  That's insane.  If the tourney started today there could be a legitimate argument for 12 of the 14 teams in conference.  I've never seen anything like it.   

7 hours ago, rico said:

Not correct...IU played 9, with only 7 seeing significant minutes.  Only 4 Hoosiers scored.  On the other hand the 'Cuse used only 7.

Not that it would make a huge difference, but the scholarship limit was 12 vs 13 today, so a pool of 1 less player to choose from as well.

Cross posted from the Rutgers Pregame thread, but seemed relevant here:

Want to talk about parity and doing nothing but beating each other up? At the moment, Pomeroy's projections have 10 out of 14 B10 teams finishing between 11-9 and 9-11. The exceptions, MSU at 14-6, Maryland at 12-8, Nebraska and Northwestern at 5-15.

That's just a projection, but I'd say it falls in line with what we've seen so far this year.

Now, out of that big muddled mess, how many of those 10 teams would have 20 wins overall? Two. And here's a hint, they played each other Saturday and Gus Johnson called the game.

That would be a total of 4 B10 teams with 20 wins: MSU, Maryland, OSU and Indiana. That doesn't include the BTT, so likely another team will hit 20 but still, based on our season to date, we're not in terrible shape.

7 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

I cant recall a conference ever being as deep as the big 10 this year.  Anyone have any challengers from years past?  Right now the conference has 12 of the top 38 teams in the Kenpom rankings.  That's insane.  If the tourney started today there could be a legitimate argument for 12 of the 14 teams in conference.  I've never seen anything like it.   

I had to look it up but the 2011 Big East got 11 of their 16 teams in.  In the final poll 7 were ranked in the Top 25.  3 in the Top Ten.  7 advanced to the round of 32.  2 advanced to the SS.  1 to the FF.  UConn won the title.

24 minutes ago, rico said:

Sounds like a young man dealing with some demons. Combine that with what he probably thinks as a failed career (given his high rankings just 5 years ago) and it makes for a recipe of self medication. Hope he gets things straight and realize he's still only 24. Plenty of time to right the ship.

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like a young man dealing with some demons. Combine that with what he probably thinks as a failed career (given his high rankings just 5 years ago) and it makes for a recipe of self medication. Hope he gets things straight and realize he's still only 24. Plenty of time to right the ship.

I would be curious to see/hear where he stands on getting a college degree.

11 hours ago, rico said:

Thanks for the box score. Had forgotten that neither Calloway or Hillman scored. A few interesting things:

Alford shot 10 of the 11 3 point shots (as some of you know that was the first year the three pointer was used, Knight hated it but we may have lost without the three as Alford made 7 of them in the championship game).

20 assists vs 11 turnovers is a beautiful thing to see.

Recruiting was a little atypical.........

7 guys played at least 10 minutes, Alford was the only one of the seven from Indiana.

2/5 starters were junior college transfers

The sarcastic “fire Izzo” posts after a loss are funny..........

Yes, Izzo should immediately  be fired unless he can somehow, someway prove his teams have a PATTERN of 

playing hard (typically play as tough as any team in the country),

shows an ability  to get better as the season progresses 

and occasionally is able to make the tourney (they have been in the tourney 22 years in a row and made the FF three of the last 10 years).

I’m thinking he will get a little more time.

11 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

It is crazy. Sagarin also has 12 BT teams in the top 38.

It’s also crazy that our next three road games , against Rutgers, Nebraska and Penn State, would have been considered relatively easy in past years but this year I am just hoping we win won of those. The bottom half of the league seems tougher than ever and the road teams are virtually losing every game. 

4 hours ago, rico said:

I had to look it up but the 2011 Big East got 11 of their 16 teams in.  In the final poll 7 were ranked in the Top 25.  3 in the Top Ten.  7 advanced to the round of 32.  2 advanced to the SS.  1 to the FF.  UConn won the title.

That's pretty comparable, thanks!  It seems like the perfect storm this year in the Big 10.  Not real top heavy - no real elite teams.  And loads of quality teams that can beat anyone on a given night. 

21 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

It is crazy. Sagarin also has 12 BT teams in the top 38.

It’s also crazy that our next three road games , against Rutgers, Nebraska and Penn State, would have been considered relatively easy in past years but this year I am just hoping we win won of those. The bottom half of the league seems tougher than ever and the road teams are virtually losing every game. 

Which makes those home wins over Nebraska and Northwestern so important for us.  We found a way to win, even if they were ugly and closer than they should have been.  Losing either would have been hugely deflating. 

New rankings:

Florida St. is ranked 9th at 14-2 (we beat them)
Ohio St. is still ranked at 21st at 11-5 (we just finished beating them)

IU is 13-3. Their votes would put them at #29th. We have a better record than 9 of the top-25 teams. 

our losses:

Arkansas: ranked #28
Maryland: ranked #17
Wisconsin: ranked #34

Still interesting we aren't ranked yet.

3 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

New rankings:

IU is 13-3. Their votes would put them at #29th. We have a better record than 9 of the top-25 teams. 

our losses:

Weird.  I blame Dakich.  LOL

5 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

New rankings:

our losses:

No way OSU at 11-5 should still be ranked and losing 4 in a row.

Archived