The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the fun part about throwing shade at other schools recruiting. Always leads to someone asking about what your own school did. I mean Painter beat out Izzo and his private machine for Swanigan. What's that say?

Can’t wait to hear him come back and explain why it was totally legit that Swanigan de-committed from MSU to go to Purdue.  “His sports agent legal guardian was a Purdue grad!  What’s suspicious about that??”

Edit - And please spare us the “Biggie just didn’t want to play the 5 like he was going to have to at MSU” BS.  Lol.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Alan Griffin suspended for 2 games by Big 10. Needless to say he gets 2 games for a stomp and immediately sought out the player after the game to apologize.....and the Big 12 thinks 2 games was enough for a player who goes into the stands. 

Yeah, that's just crazy. I think 1 game would have been about right, I'm guessing the new B1G Commish felt a need to lay down the law and this was his chance.

24 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Like you kid yourself about Swanigan?

Lol. Painter is squeaky clean for his entire career and no one questions his ethics but then he’d risk it for one recruit? He had missed the tournament two years in a row but had good recruiting classes in ‘13 and ‘14 so things were looking up.

I’m biased but I think he gets the benefit of the doubt. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Lol. Painter is squeaky clean for his entire career and no one questions his ethics but then he’d risk it for one recruit? He had missed the tournament two years in a row but had good recruiting classes in ‘13 and ‘14 so things were looking up.

That's exactly why he could do what he did to land Swanigan. Had the fan base exactly where he wanted them. Right? I like Painter. Better than most but to say Swanigan recruitment wasn't a tad iffy isn't right either. He needed a guy to get him a tourney win and over the hump. 

7 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Yeah, that's just crazy. I think 1 game would have been about right, I'm guessing the new B1G Commish felt a need to lay down the law and this was his chance.

I also think AG's history is in play. He already had a couple of issues iirc....Missouri game? Either way this looks to me like PR world for Big 10. 

43 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Can’t wait to hear him come back and explain why it was totally legit that Swanigan de-committed from MSU to go to Purdue.  “His sports agent legal guardian was a Purdue grad!  What’s suspicious about that??”

Edit - And please spare us the “Biggie just didn’t want to play the 5 like he was going to have to at MSU” BS.  Lol.

Biggie wanted to play for Cuonzo at Cal with Ivan Rabb and Jaylen Brown but Barnes didn’t want him that far away. Barnes always wanted Purdue because of the fit and I think Biggie picked MSU as a compromise between Cal and Purdue. Barnes then got a huge bag of cash from Painter/Purdue and the rest is history. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's exactly why he could do what he did to land Swanigan. Had the fan base exactly where he wanted them. Right? I like Painter. Better than most but to say Swanigan recruitment wasn't a tad iffy isn't right either. He needed a guy to get him a tourney win and over the hump. 

He had built up plenty of equity over the 10 years he had been there. He had already brought in three good classes in a row from ‘12-‘14. Way too much to risk for just one recruit. 

16 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He had built up plenty of equity over the 10 years he had been there. He had already brought in three good classes in a row from ‘12-‘14. Way too much to risk for just one recruit. 

13-Missed Tourney

14-Missed Tourney

15-1st Round Bounced

60 days later Swanigan commits. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to put the timeline together. 

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

13-Missed Tourney

14-Missed Tourney

15-1st Round Bounced

60 days later Swanigan commits. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to put the timeline together. 

Like I said earlier, there wasn’t even a whisper about Painter cheating for the entirety of his career outside of people being up in arms about Swanigan playing for his guardian’s alma mater. Why wouldn’t he get the benefit of the doubt?

Not sure why you put so much emphasis on making the tournament but losing in the first round. He clearly showed the previous 2 years were the exception not the norm and had us back on solid footing. Losing in OT in the first round to a better seed is far from a big deal. 

Here’s my question: how would you view things if Swanigan hadn’t committed to MSU first and had just committed to Purdue? The same? 

11 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Like I said earlier, there wasn’t even a whisper about Painter cheating for the entirety of his career outside of people being up in arms about Swanigan playing for his guardian’s alma mater. Why wouldn’t he get the benefit of the doubt?

Not sure why you put so much emphasis on making the tournament but losing in the first round. He clearly showed the previous 2 years were the exception not the norm and had us back on solid footing. Losing in OT in the first round to a better seed is far from a big deal. 

Here’s my question: how would you view things if Swanigan hadn’t committed to MSU first and had just committed to Purdue? The same? 

You lost me at "like I said"....good conversation is what we appreciate....condescension can take a hike. 

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

At least now we only have to deal with "We should have hired Mack" posts instead of "We should have hired Mack OR Holtmann". :coffee: 

Those folks will always be around I guess. Maniacal world of some fans. I mean look at Illinois. 95% of their fans wanted Underwood gone after losing to Missouri earlier this year. Now he's coach of the year.

Holtmann though (as some have said on here) was dealt some very good kids coming in. Water usually finds it's level and right now they are a team firmly on the bubble, 2-6 conference record with 6 more conf road games. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Holtmann though (as some have said on here) was dealt some very good kids coming in. Water usually finds it's level and right now they are a team firmly on the bubble, 2-6 conference record with 6 more conf road games. 

I think Holtmann needs to sit K. Wesson on the bench for awhile.  

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

When little Ricky comes in and looks like a tactician compared to your own coaching moves I'd say all options are on deck for Holtmann.

The Bucks are in a funk.  Wesson hangs out around the arc and Carton read too many of those early press clippings.  Holtmann has time to fix it.

17 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I agree with you about Painter....but nowadays only the stupidest, most desperate, and sleaziest of coaches get involved themselves in these recruiting...but the shady stuff happens with people around the schools....and I even would include Indiana possibly having a couple players the past couple decades on that...who knows how dirty the NCAA has become.

I really hope some momentum from this season can help lead into the recruiting trail. If we can gain ground on Michigan and OSU there we could be in a nice position for some of these 2021 kids. I was excited to hear Kaufman was at the game last night. Hope the energy in the Hall lets the kid know where he should want to play college bball.

2 hours ago, rico said:

The Bucks are in a funk.  Wesson hangs out around the arc and Carton read too many of those early press clippings.  Holtmann has time to fix it.

I think he is as good coach, and designed some good concepts for his team to succeed. I think the main thing he has right now is something that is hard to deal with for the first time. That is, kids who come into the year thinking about the league. Holtmann never really had to think about that much at Butler...Thus far at OSU the team had no choice but to gel together and the sum of their parts was fairly impressive (although they barely had a better year than IU last year...just beat us head to head)....

Wesson is clearly thinking about the next level, and I think that Carton was too...add that to the fact that Walker is playing for the first time in a year and trying to force the action a bit and two sophomore guards who may feel like they have waited long enough for "their turn".

He doesn't have much by way of high school recruits coming in, but I think he does have more transfers. It'll be interesting to see if he gets it turned this season and if Wesson stays (and Carton for that matter).

My guess is He'll get it all figured out...but the momentum has definitely slowed in a hurry...

Edit: BTW, I think you could say that CAM struggled with that a bit last year with players thinking first and foremost about the league, and it was a factor along with injuries, outside voices, a complete loss of confidence, and few people not completely bought in to his style...

Archived