The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I get that the pile on will continue because this is the society in which we live, but I stand by it.  You think the kids that were drafted into WWII or Vietnam didn’t have anxiety/depression?  You think the millions of people in this country living paycheck to paycheck, working long hours at difficult jobs to support a family, wake up every morning in a great headspace?  Abandoning your responsibilities and people that depend on you to deal with your “mental health” is a privilege afforded to very few.  Go to therapy, get medication, whatever someone needs to do, I’m all for it.  But it takes mental toughness to deal with those issues and not let it derail the rest of your life.  Some people have that mental toughness, and some people don’t.  For some reason we’ve decided as a society that we want to glorify the people that don’t, and I’ll never understand it.

There is one massive difference between kids now and in the past.....social media. 

Everything any kid does now is criticized by random nut jobs on FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram....whatever.

Kids cannot escape it like they could in the past. Have someone making fun of you in the past? Just got to get away from them and its no longer problem.

Now? kids get notified on their cell phone for every remark anyone makes about them.....and its all there for everyone to see.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Of course it takes mental toughness and how many have dealt with it by abusing illegal drugs. Or harming themselves or others. If he had mental toughness  in what you call it, he probably would not need to step away to deal with mental health Asking for help is not a sign of weakness not asking or closed mindedness is IMO.

I am as old school as they come besides Scott and I think your line of thinking is very archaic 

Asking for help isn’t a sign of weakness, backing out of a commitment and abandoning your responsibilities is.  Like I said, I’m all for people going to therapy, getting medication, etc.  

And if it’s true what they’re saying in the other thread that his “mental health issues” are due to him not being “the man” anymore and OSU fans being unhappy with his play, then he is absolutely soft as far as elite athletes go.

Just now, JugRox said:

There is one massive difference between kids now and in the past.....social media. 

Everything any kid does now is criticized by random nut jobs on FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram....whatever.

Kids cannot escape it like they could in the past.

Good point. The human brain is still a mystery and social media has only been around for 20ish years. We have no idea what the long term affect is. I believe the mind isn't capable of keeping up with the rapid changes and information overload of social media. 

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

Asking for help isn’t a sign of weakness, backing out of a commitment and abandoning your responsibilities is.  Like I said, I’m all for people going to therapy, getting medication, etc.  

And if it’s true what they’re saying in the other thread that his “mental health issues” are due to him not being “the man” anymore and OSU fans being unhappy with his play, then he is absolutely soft as far as elite athletes go.

Its already been said, but the rumor is that this is being done so he can transfer back home without sitting out a year. 

24 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Because you assume that is why. The father that loses a child and needs to take some serious time away from his job and realises that he cant go back and quits on his boss coworkers clients is weak then. Even though he is on meds going to therapy but just cant get over losing his child. He must be week because for thousands of years parents have done it and still functioned, is that what you are saying. I know that guy and many other that by your definition are weak, they quit on many people and most got the REAL help they needed . Our Lord and savior along with therapy meds and are living life to its fullest. There are much worse things than leaving your team to better your quality of life

Speaking of mental health or ag3 finally catching up.  Coach K showing a kink in the armor. Goes off on the Cameron crazies for chanting to Jeff Capel.  Tells them shut up. 

Krzyzewski yelled at the fans to "Shut up!'' and then walked across the court to scold them at the end of the first half, repeating emphatically, "He is one of us!"

No duh coach k, no duh.

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Because you assume that is why. The father that loses a child and needs to take some serious time away from his job and realises that he cant go back and quits on his boss coworkers clients is weak then. Even though he is on meds going to therapy but just cant get over losing his child. He must be week because for thousands of years parents have done it and still functioned, is that what you are saying. I know that guy and many other that by your definition are weak, they quit on many people and most got the REAL help they needed . Our Lord and savior along with therapy meds and are living life to its fullest. There are much worse things than leaving your team to better your quality of life

Absolutely not... If you go back and read my first post this morning I specifically said that something serious like a death in the family is a totally different situation.

59 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Absolutely, assuming there hasn’t been something serious like a death in the family or something similar.  If that’s the case, then I’ll have to apologize.

But all the grandstanding about “mental health” in our society is so ridiculous.  Backing out of a commitment and withdrawing from a difficult situation when you don’t feel great is a sign of weakness, not strength.  It takes mental toughness to deal with personal issues without letting it affect your responsibilities.  And that applies in any context, not just college basketball.

Wow...your attitude here is beyond disappointing. What if this were your son? What if he'd committed suicide? Think before you post, man...words do have consequences. 

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Absolutely not... If you go back and read my first post this morning I specifically said that something serious like a death in the family is a totally different situation.

So someone who suffers mental or physical abuse are weak if they suffer from mental health issues?  

People deal with death differently btw. 

21 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

His first responsibility is to himself and making himself well so he can honor that commitment.

14 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I would call this a theory more so than a rumor.  We shall see.  

And one I hope that doesn't end up being true.

Did some digging. Maybe something happened recently or maybe this has been piling up for a long time but he got to see many former friends, coaches and family last weekend when Ohio St played at Northwestern. Maybe he realized how isolated he feels at Ohio St and wants to be around those people closer to home??

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Why is that different because @FW_Hoosier says it is. None of us have any clue what is going on inside of anyone else's head. 

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So someone who suffers mental or physical abuse are weak if they suffer from mental health issues?  

People deal with death differently btw. 

Lol, the fact that you guys are comparing the death of a loved one and physical abuse to random people saying mean things on Twitter is making my point for me.  If you can’t see that these things are not the same, I can’t help you.

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I had to sign in to address this idiot. I can only guess this guy is 65 and is "tough as nails." Having a family member that had mental health issues and then finding her over dosing on the bathroom floor makes your take on this appalling and sickening. I'm assuming you clearly don't know how suicide rates have sky rocketed otherwise you wouldn't say such asinine things. 

20 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Lol, the fact that you guys are comparing the death of a loved one and physical abuse to random people saying mean things on Twitter is making my point for me.  If you can’t see that these things are not the same, I can’t help you.

You know not only the reason for sure that he is leaving as well as how his brains perceives his situation and can compare it to how others brains handle death. Damn that's impressive please help me with some wagers on the Super Bowl all knowing one

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Mental health issues can manifest itself in many different ways. It doesnt have to be a traumatic event. You can even be born with a predisposition for it.  

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Wow...your attitude here is beyond disappointing. What if this were your son? What if he'd committed suicide? Think before you post, man...words do have consequences. 

The first thing I would do is make sure he wasn’t a danger to himself (which doesn’t appear to be the case here).  Then, I’d tell him to keep his head up, delete his social media accounts, and keep working hard to get better.  After that, if necessary, I’d reach out to the administration/coaching staff to work on setting him up with a professional who could help him work through whatever issues he was having.

27 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Saw a E:60 episode about the QB at Washington ST and it appeared he had everything going for him but was very depressed.  He eventually killed himself because he never went to get help.

@FW_Hoosier Your comment on Mental Health is completely off-base, insensitive and wildly inappropriate. We are talking about a kid who has decided to back away from a SPORT to deal with his mental health. How are you qualified to understand what his mental health concerns are, to decide what his obligations/responsibilities should be, and make such bold and chastising statements as "he's soft"?

My younger sister decided to bury her mental health concerns because she needed to be "tough"...like our parents...like our grandparents (veterans of war). She didn't seek professional help, and instead found some sense of coping by self-medicating with illicit drugs after multiple formative years dealing with her undiagnosed mental health concerns. She recently had a moment of clarity and asked for help, and in her treatment, we found out she had many severe mental health diagnoses that have lingered for years. But, her addiction was already in place. 

She passed away due to these addictions last year. 

Mental Health may seem like a "cop-out" to some, but it is a hidden illness with multiple different diagnoses, and many people deal with their challenges differently. Many people also have varying degrees of the same Mental Health diagnoses, and are able to effectively treat and cope while others can't. 

You are wrong, and the fact that you feel so noble in doubling down on such a sensitive topic is disheartening, and is absolutely why many people remain silent about their mental health. 

Casting a stone at someone without any factual knowledge of their situation is just wrong...on any level. I suggest you take a long look at your opinion of the matter, and I hope that you find more sensitivity in your approach. You don't know who around you is dealing with such a challenge and will not discuss with you, will not ask you for help...because "they should be tough." 

---Signed,

A LOOOOONG-time lurker and never a poster. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier0908 said:

@FW_Hoosier Your comment on Mental Health is completely off-base, insensitive and wildly inappropriate. We are talking about a kid who has decided to back away from a SPORT to deal with his mental health. How are you qualified to understand what his mental health concerns are, to decide what his obligations/responsibilities should be, and make such bold and chastising statements as "he's soft"?

My younger sister decided to bury her mental health concerns because she needed to be "tough"...like our parents...like our grandparents (veterans of war). She didn't seek professional help, and instead found some sense of coping by self-medicating with illicit drugs after multiple formative years dealing with her undiagnosed mental health concerns. She recently had a moment of clarity and asked for help, and in her treatment, we found out she had many severe mental health diagnoses that have lingered for years. But, her addiction was already in place. 

She passed away due to these addictions last year. 

Mental Health may seem like a "cop-out" to some, but it is a hidden illness with multiple different diagnoses, and many people deal with their challenges differently. Many people also have varying degrees of the same Mental Health diagnoses, and are able to effectively treat and cope while others can't. 

You are wrong, and the fact that you feel so noble in doubling down on such a sensitive topic is disheartening, and is absolutely why many people remain silent about their mental health. 

Casting a stone at someone without any factual knowledge of their situation is just wrong...on any level. I suggest you take a long look at your opinion of the matter, and I hope that you find more sensitivity in your approach. You don't know who around you is dealing with such a challenge and will not discuss with you, will not ask you for help...because "they should be tough." 

---Signed,

A LOOOOONG-time lurker and never a poster. 

Great informative post and so sorry for your loss.

Well my ex wife has Bi-polar and I can tell you it was very hard for her, the kids and me.  It was so up and down and you never knew from one day to the other how that day will be.  The thing is while we were married she did not go for help so it was never diagnosed so we did not know it was Bi-Polar.  It lead to our divorce and her not being part of my kids lives the last 10 years.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well my ex wife has Bi-polar and I can tell you it was very hard for her, the kids and me.  It was so up and down and you never knew from one day to the other how that day will be.  The thing is while we were married she did not go for help so it was never diagnosed so we did not know it was Bi-Polar.  It lead to our divorce and her not being part of my kids lives the last 10 years.

Brutal, and terribly sorry to hear this. Bi-polar was one of the issues with my sister, and it is challenging to deal with, both as the individual and those of us around them. Hope she is seeking the help she needs to wrangle that demon and be more present with your kids...and you, if you want that. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I wasnt born with it but my stepdads family has a long history of bipolar disorder and depression. My youngest sister was a cutter. As much as you want to help them they have to want it for themselves. Sorry to hear about your family struggle. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosier0908 said:

Brutal, and terribly sorry to hear this. Bi-polar was one of the issues with my sister, and it is challenging to deal with, both as the individual and those of us around them. Hope she is seeking the help she needs to wrangle that demon and be more present with your kids...and you, if you want that. 

Really have not been in much contact with her until just today actually when she was trying to get ahold of my kids.  I guess after her mother passed away see turned to drugs but I think see is getting sober.  My kids don't want anything to do with her and she had to find out on Facebook that our son and his girlfriend is expecting a baby.

Archived