The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

MN and Purdue are both 11-10. WI is 12-9. MI is 12-8. OSU is 13-7. All remaining games are in conference, with head to head match-ups. In order for all of these teams to make the tourney, that would mean B1G NCAAT teams with overall records of 17-15 or possibly even 16-16. I just don't see the selection committee taking a 12th place team with a 17-15 or 16-16 record.

Personally, I'd much rather see them take a mid-major conference reg season champ that loses its conference tourney.

I try to keep track of the mid-major boys...but I fail at it.  We need a thread to keep track of them.  But it would get "hi-jacked", sad but true.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

MN and Purdue are both 11-10. WI is 12-9. MI is 12-8. OSU is 13-7. All remaining games are in conference, with head to head match-ups. In order for all of these teams to make the tourney, that would mean B1G NCAAT teams with overall records of 17-15 or possibly even 16-16. I just don't see the selection committee taking a 12th place team with a 17-15 or 16-16 record.

Personally, I'd much rather see them take a mid-major conference reg season champ that loses its conference tourney.

Yeah in a year like this, teams like Purdue are a lock for the tournament. They won't have any bad losses, will have a few good wins, so the committee will be willing to overlook the sheer volume of losses they'll have, which will probably be 14 or 15.

It's nuts though, I'm of the opinion that at some point, losses have to matter.

Just now, rico said:

I try to keep track of the mid-major boys...but I fail at it.  We need a thread to keep track of them.  But it would get "hi-jacked", sad but true.

I try to watch some of the smaller conference on TV but it is hard to keep up with most of them.  Also I guess what do we think is a mid major.  Would you call Dayton and Wichita St a mid major or do you go to smaller conference than those.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I try to watch some of the smaller conference on TV but it is hard to keep up with most of them.  Also I guess what do we think is a mid major.  Would you call Dayton and Wichita St a mid major or do you go to smaller conference than those.

The A-10 has a history of being a multiple bid league.  So I rule them out as a mid-major.  TBH, since Butler has moved up and on, I don't pay as close attention as I should.  

5 minutes ago, rico said:

The A-10 has a history of being a multiple bid league.  So I rule them out as a mid-major.  TBH, since Butler has moved up and on, I don't pay as close attention as I should.  

My favorite mid major teams to watch lately have been Davidson and Belmont because they play the style of offense I like to watch.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

thinking about it more I ma surprised we don't see more like Carton who maybe just get emotionally stressed or burnt out.  Think about it because these kids at an young age is playing basketball pretty much year around thinking about getting a scholarship.  They just don't ever just get out and enjoy themselves and just be a kid like normal kids.  They just don't go out and play basketball with their friends in someone's back yard like we did growing up.

Some kids think about getting a scholarship. Carton had the pressure of coming in as a 5 star so presumably he should be starting and leading the team so he'd be a lottery pick or at least a first round pick.  It looks like these kids put so much pressure on themselves to get to The League while they are still teens. Of course who wouldn't want the lifestyle but it's a business that can crush dreams. I have no idea what's going on with Carton but I wish him well.  I just wish more kids wouldn't be in such a hurry to grow up and enjoy the college life a bit while they mature, physically and emotionally.

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Some kids think about getting a scholarship. Carton had the pressure of coming in as a 5 star so presumably he should be starting and leading the team so he'd be a lottery pick or at least a first round pick.  It looks like these kids put so much pressure on themselves to get to The League while they are still teens. Of course who wouldn't want the lifestyle but it's a business that can crush dreams. I have no idea what's going on with Carton but I wish him well.  I just wish more kids wouldn't be in such a hurry to grow up and enjoy the college life a bit while they mature, physically and emotionally.

Amen to that

10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I know I was not a D1 athlete but my fondness memories growing of summer vacation growing up were getting up and going out and playing any sport we could.  There were times we had enough kids playing baseball to have a 9 on 9 game in my back yard.  We would also play basketball at my house or if we had enough kids to play we go up to the school the play full court.  I just feel sorry for today's kids who really have to specialize in one sport and can't just play for the fun of it any longer.

47 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Yeah in a year like this, teams like Purdue are a lock for the tournament. They won't have any bad losses, will have a few good wins, so the committee will be willing to overlook the sheer volume of losses they'll have, which will probably be 14 or 15.

It's nuts though, I'm of the opinion that at some point, losses have to matter.

Home vs Texas and @Nebraska are quad 3 losses. Those are bad losses....

@Northwetwern this weekend is a must win for Purdue if they have any chance

Guess I'll put this here. Whitney from UK is strongly leaning towards NBA instead of transferring to another school. Really, really hope this kid gets somewhere because whoever is advising him.....is so short and narrow minded they are creating an almost certainty of failure by the time this kid hits the age of 21.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Guess I'll put this here. Whitney from UK is strongly leaning towards NBA instead of transferring to another school. Really, really hope this kid gets somewhere because whoever is advising him.....is so short and narrow minded they are creating an almost certainty of failure by the time this kid hits the age of 21.

I wish adults would let these kids be kids and let them enjoy life before they have to really grow up.

Maybe BB should not be a way of life! But for some of these kids it is the only way they can get out of theirs and theirs family's  lives. Playing pro ball ANYWHERE maybe better than going to college and not being able to graduate?  There are so many kids playing Basketball that can't read or write but CAN play Basketball. And it is their only chance . Sad but true.

On 1/31/2020 at 2:21 PM, IU Scott said:

Looking at a few projections gotten me to feel better about our chance to get in.  They have Minnesota and Purdue in with 10 losses so if we don't totally collapse and only win a game or two when should get in easily.

Of the 12 B1G teams hoping to make it in the Dance... we are lowest ranked in the NET rankings.    I guess that is good since we play only the teams ahead of us but man we gotta get some wins.   I still say we need 4 more wins and even then I'll be sweating it on Selection Sunday.  Man that Maryland loss hurt.

Go Hoosiers!!!

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Brooks says Hello....

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Guess I'll put this here. Whitney from UK is strongly leaning towards N CBA instead of transferring to another school. Really, really hope this kid gets somewhere because whoever is advising him.....is so short and narrow minded they are creating an almost certainty of failure by the time this kid hits the age of 21.

5 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Brooks says Hello....

Fixed it for you

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sparty loses. Rutgers loses. Seton Hall loses. It's almost like ranked teams have bad days vs weaker competition?

All B10 home teams have won today, and with Nebraska having an early lead at home versus Peen St, and Purdue visiting Northwestern, I hope that holds true...

Archived