The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

25 point in game swing. Illini lose at home to MD and have Sparty come calling with at Rutgers and at Penn St. They might be coming back to Earth soon. Still ticks me off the difference of a team who is now in driver seat for Big 10 (Maryland) and we gave them one in 90 seconds.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I thought the Illini were up 15 early....now down 5 to Maryland. Is Turgeon some magician? Still hate that we gave one away to that crew.

Turgeon's man to man defense was getting chewed up...the Terps switched to a zone.  Threw Illinois off kilter.

42 minutes ago, rico said:

Turgeon's man to man defense was getting chewed up...the Terps switched to a zone.  Threw Illinois off kilter.

Yep. Turgeon even said they rarely use it...but just have it in practice. They were down 14-15 at the time. Changing to zone and using press messed up Illinois rhythm. 2nd game this year Illinois had Maryland down huge and blew it.

Shows how thin the top of the conference is. Maryland has 3 wins (2 Illinois, 1 vs us) they had no business winning but did.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone watch the ending of UNC/Duke? I know Carolina missed a ton of free throws but our good old buddy Teddy was front and center on the no call that favored Duke.

Yes, I watched it. For years, when the game is close at the end, and the player is in the bonus, my son always asks me why they don't deliberately miss the second free throw after hitting the first.  Well Tre Jones did it twice against UNC.  Duke got the ball back on both misses, and tied, and then won the game in OT.

After the game, Tre was asked about that. He said he and his coach actually practice missing the free throw. His coach told him to stand two feet to the left of center.  Imagine that.  They actually practice missing the free throw, and hitting it off the rim hard enough to recover the miss. Which is what they did twice on Saturday.

Duke's Tre Jones Purposely Misses a Free Throw To Force OT

33 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I just noticed that the Henenway kid from Castle had 16 points last night and was 4-7 from 3 against ND.  Why didn’t Archie use one of the open scholarships on him?  Was he too good of a shooter?

And with that 16 points...he now has scored a total of 39 for the year.

Archived